HybridZ

Repo Auctions

savageskaterkid

In Florida, I have a dealer's license. Somewhat hard to get, but you need it to go to any regular automotive auction and make a purchase at wholesale except for the classic car auctions that are generated for the public. Even those auctions require you to pre-register for purchasing. Repo auctions are everywhere and require a dealer's license also, but the repo ones actually even charge the dealer to bid there or at least charge an annual fee so they are even worse for access. The government surplus auctions are generally open to the general public and are posted on the net that you can find with a search. These notices generally are posted very early to accomodate every one getting a fair chance. I just bought a fabulous mini bus on Ebay from the state of Georgia which was ten times better than I had hoped and drove it 8 hours home with absolutely no problems; Cold air front and back that I did not know about, etc. Huge amount of new expensive parts. etc. , for $1300. Good luck, cash is King.

In Florid, I have a dealer's license. Somewhat hard to get, but you need it to go to any regular automotive auction and make a purchase at wholesale except for the classic car auctions that are generated for the public. Even thoseauctions require you to preregister for purchasing. Repo auctions are everywhere and require a dealer's license also, but the repo ones actually even charge the dealer to bid there or at least charge an anual fee so they are even worse for access. The government surplus auctions are generally open to the general public and are posted on the net that you can find with a search. These notices generally are posted very early to accomodate every one getting a fair chance. I just bought a fabulous mini bus on Ebay from the state of Georgia which was ten times better than I had hoped and drove it 8 hours home with absolutely no problems; Cold air front and back I did not know about, etc. Huge amount of new expensive parts. etc. , for $1300. Good luck, cash is King.

Do you have to have a place of business ( dealership/shop) or can you just register for a license ?

basicly for the 35 bucks, i got a list of numbers and a swift kick in the ***.

If your not a member you can search for cars, and then you click the cars and it says you must register first, then wouldn't you know it-once you register theres not way to look at the cars or search for any. To get a dealers license(I know this sounds stupid) do you have to be a car dealer? or can anybody obtain it.

Dealers License in Texas...

From anywhere in Texas, contact the Texas Department of Transportation or go to their Web site. If you plan on doing any financing or arranging financing you also need a license from the Office of the Consumer Credit Commissioner.

For a retail used car dealer, you must pay a $500 fee plus $45.30 per metal dealer plate desired (most small dealers only need a couple of these), obtain a $25,000 surety bond or have an irrevocable bank letter of credit for $25,000, and you must own or lease property with an office (seperate from and with no access to any residential living quarters on the property), at least 5 paved parking spaces, and a sign with six-inch letters. You must also have a working land line phone installed in the office, have a desk and at least two chairs, and there are other provisions to get your license application approved.

For a wholesale license, you must have an office, but need not have specific parking spaces for the sale of vehicles on-site. But with that license you can only sell to other wholesalers or dealers. I think it may also be permissible to sell to out-of-state retail buyers, other states do this, but you may wish to check with DPS before trying that.

• 1 month later...

If Florida you need:

Separate physical office for the auto dealer function, can't be at a home or

inside another existing business. Needs separate entrance

Lot of signage requirements

Spaces to park cars for sale

Surety bond for $25,000, $250 per year, or a letter of credit from a bank,

Proof of Garage Liability Insurance, at certain levels

Certificate of Auto dealer's instructional class attendance $300

Perfect driving record

Inspection of physical site (pretty lenient) by the DMV

Letter from town zoning allowing car lot at physical site