HybridZ

I need help with my memory....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

...because I can't remember what year GM vehicle has the front hub units that fit on the Zcar spindles. I want to say '71-'73 Camero but I'm not sure. I am under the impression that whatever hub I'm thinking of has bearings that fit right on the stock spindle and the unit requires very little modification. Does anybody know what I'm talking about or have I finally crossed over that line into crazyville?

SpencZ

MonsterZ cont.

Guest Anonymous

My intentions for doing the swap are simple...I want to use Willwood rotor hats and 12.2" 48 vane vented rotors in the front/11" rotors in the rear, and they come in 5 bolt patterns only. I also want the luxury of knowing almost any wheel model out there would fit with the 5 lug configuration.

SpencZ

Guest Anonymous

Nope...my rear end is (going to be) independent. I have a Ford 9" rear that will be connected to modified Torronado CV shafts. The Stub axle is going to be a custom unit with 5 mounting lugs.

SpencZ

MonsterZ cont.

Hi John,

Rob, mentioned he met up with you and said you also had a sweet ride. This is great! The only people I know that have "Z's" and the engines have been swapped! I have some catching up to do for sure. I have

all the major components to do (start)the swap - LT1(complete package), T56 tranny, R200LSD, CV axles, and a full urethane suspension upgrade kit. So I'm getting close on getting started on this transformation. I have a critical path scheme worked out and the engine will be last at this time. I will start the rear end swap first followed by the suspension and then perhaps the brakes. I want to upgrade the front brakes with the

Wilwood kit that Rob used but it's not in the budget just yet. It just so happens I plan to start this Saturday and we all know what day that is.

Danno74Z

Wow Danno, your off to a hell of a start. It sounds like you know what you want. Yes, April 1 should be renamed Zconversion day! Good luck with the transformation. I was in Berthoud this AM...that concrete mixer that woke you up @ 6:20? That was for me! I should have started wrenching on your car between jobs! We'll meet soon I'm sure.

SpencZ: Now take a deep breath and..put..the..wrench..and torches...down. WHAT IN THE @#&* WORLD are you building?? Franken-Z?? biggrin.gif

Honestly, I can't wait to see your "creation"

Send some pics in soon!

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited March 29, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

HAHAHAHA....FrankenZ...I love it! Actually the project's name is MonsterZ so you are not far off. My website is:

members.xoom.com/SpencZ/index.htm

Pictures will be up tomorrow afternoon God willing and then everybody can see for themselves what a mess I've gotten myself into. When it is all done and I have spend 5 digits on the car...this will be the hottest website in Z'dom. Stay Tuned!

SpencZ

MonsterZ cont.

Wow? I've never heard of using non Nissan Hubs w/o a lot of work. '62 chevy hubs just bolted on up front? ie. one could use vette hubs w/ their 13" rotors? I haven't finished my efforts yet but have put a fair bit of time into it so far, seems 300ZX 1st gen 5 lug hubs are a bolt on to my 280ZX and I've been told Nissan front bearings are the same from 70-89 so should work for all. I plan to use the 300 hubs, 13" brembo rotors that'll slip on my studs for easy track maintenance (or anywhere) and the floating 2 piston PBR calipers. Been proven enough on vette's/cobras/camaros so with my lesser weight I hope to enjoy less maintenance. I did the calc's in Herb Puhn's brake book and found 12" rotors to be inadequate for heat/temps and 13's to allow me enough tolerance. I have converted my rear hubs to 5 lug and bolted on some 16x8 rx7TT wheels which I love.

------------------

Ross Corrigan

'80 280ZX, just yanked the faithful '68 327 in favour of a '98 350 :-)

I'm chiming in kinda late, but for what it's worth, I was probably the guy that started this mess with my posting on Camaro front rotors (this post evidently got lost in our recent crash).

At a pick-a-part junk yard, I removed the rotor and hub assembly, complete with bearings and all the guts, from a Gen II Camaro (70 1/2 - 81; this looked like a '75), and slapped them onto the spindle of a 280Z. With the possible exception of the inner oil sealing ring, everything fit perfectly. I could not rigorously check the oil seal thing, because evidently that would require torquing down the retaining nut (I don't know the exact term for this nut), and then checking for binding and/or leaks. Also, the Camaro brake caliper has a very different mounting bolt pattern than the Z, while the Z caliper will not accept the Camaro rotor, which is much thicker than the Z's rotor. I have heard of people making steel adapter plates that mount the Camaro caliper to the Z spindle.

Gen III Camaros (82-92) might also work, though I don't know for sure. Also, 70's Novas are essentially identical to Camaros mechanically, so they too probably work.

Also, and perhaps of greater interest for high performance purposes, Wildwood (and many others) make relatively inexpensive bolt-in brake stuff for Camaros, like a gorgeous aluminum-bodied 4-piston caliper and lightened vented rotor. If the stock Camaro stuff can be made to fit, so can the aftermarket parts.