HybridZ

Differential heat in a LSD

Is there anyone in this group that is using

a differential cooler? What I would like to

find out is how much heat in the LSD is too

much and how the coolers are connected and

what method is used to circulate the oil.

There must be a heat issue with the LSD or

else Nissan would not be using the finned

rear cover.

Dave...

V8-240Z@juno.com

After inspecting the muck I found in the crevices of my finned cover, I suspect the clutches burned up. When I first installed the LSD in my 240Z, I did not have a modified rear bracket to clear the finned cover so I used the standard R-200 cover. I was only able to get less than 1qt of lube in. After I had the bracket modified, I was still concerned about the capacity even with the finned cover which is why I went with Redline MTL. Might have been too late since the used unit was probably not in the best of condition and saw its 1st lube change when I did it.

I am seriously looking at a cooler but need to make sure the pump has no problem with the viscosity. I want to do it on a limited budget but still have a quality product. Looking into pumps at the local aircraft surplus store and plan to use Parker Push-Lok hose and fittings. If the GN goes as quick as I am dreaming, the LSD is short-lived anyway.

Scottie

Scottie,

I don't understand that at all. The parts come out easily, and are know wear items. In fact there is some tunability by beig able to switch thicker and thinner plates in to get different preload and breakaway torque. I know I'm no surgeon and I had mine apart and together with no problem. I have several articles on the rebuilding of them if you are interested.

Pete

Scottie,

I was just wondering why you are not just replacing the clutch parts in the LSD and give it another try? These things do wear. Maybe the wrong oil was used. I know that the MTL is a bit thin for some transmissions and has been reported to wear bearing prematurely in them (case in point: Mitsu AWD 5spd in the Eclipse). Actually, Redline suggests either using straight MT90 or a mix of MTL and MT90 in these transmissions. I'm not sure if this is germane to the Nissan LSD though.

Is it that you don't think the LSD, even rebuilt, will handle the torque? Just wondering.

BTW, it's fairly easy to pull the case out and apart to replace the clutch parts. I do believe they are still available from Nissan. They aren't cheap though. Probably $2-400 to get all new friction parts. I remember that each of the friction discs was about $30 when I check a few months ago. I didn't need to replace any, so I didn't go through adding it all up.

Hope this helps,

Pete

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@tidalwave.net">pparaska@tidalwave.net -