HybridZ

Finally a Car build thread for me :P

tfreer85

Okay, so I've been searching for a Z since the age of 15 (now 20), I've let more than a number of great deals slip out from under me for whatever odd ball reason. However I must say the 5 year wait, anger of lost oppurtunities, butting head with my parents, has finally paid off. This is now my current 1972 240z. Which I paid a very happy 4k for. You'll notice I don't have very many body shots, because it is in the body shop getting painted just a shade subaru blue with gloss black ZG Flairs, Air dam, and the wheels will be gloss black as well with a chrome lip. Okay so onto the parts list and pics.

PARTS:

R-200 from a q45 with 3.54 gears and modified Mustache Bar

Coilovers

Rear Adjustable Control Arms

Front Wilwood 6 Piston Brakes

Rear Disc Brakes

Front Sway bar

MSA Urethane Air Dam

Gapless Fender to Headlight bucket

Mazda Miata Seats

Custom Center Console Guage holder

Powdercoated Rear Tail-light housing and Grill

Bigger Brake Booster

New Radiator

LS1 Fuel Tank

New Upholestry

All new weather stripping

Autometer Phantom Guages

NRHA 10-sec Certified Roll Cage

Racing Harness

New Front and Rear chrome bumpers

Mas28O's CV Adapters

Removed Spare Tire Well

Pics:

100_0694.jpg

100_0695.jpg

100_0696.jpg

100_0697.jpg

100_0698.jpg

100_0699.jpg

100_0700.jpg

100_0701.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100_0702.jpg

100_0703.jpg

100_0704.jpg

100_0705.jpg

100_0706.jpg

100_0707.jpg

100_0708.jpg

100_0709.jpg

100_0711.jpg

100_0712.jpg

Sorry for the Large Sized Pics. The primer was just quickly shot on there when it sat outside for one day its all been/going to be removed and cleaned up. The motor I've narrowed down to KA24DE-T or an LS1 and yes I know they are two different ball games. So I'm sitting on the engine choice for a while.

Tyson

The bumpers, if new, cost about $1000 each if they have all the rubber parts and such. Overall, I'd say you did very well with that price, especially with all those performance parts. You just need an engine and tranny to match everything else :2thumbs:

Davy

The bumpers' date=' if new, cost about $1000 each if they have all the rubber parts and such. Overall, I'd say you did very well with that price, especially with all those performance parts. You just need an engine and tranny to match everything else :2thumbs:

Davy[/quote']

Well they are still in their protective wrapping from the Nissan Dealership, they have a Nissan sticker on them and all the bracketry. The motor well, I've been reading and reading and reading for a long a** time, as much fun as a turbo 4cyl could be, I've been in Alex's SR240Z was a blast, definitely quality craftmanship and very fast. A KA24DE-T can make some good decent HP with enough money, and as much fun as Turbo car could be there seems to be a lot of work involved that I'm not ready to take on. So that leaves me with the LS1, which is actually the cheapest motor for me to install, as the previous owner had one. I already have the 240Z/LS1 custom driveshaft, proper gearing, proper fuel tank, radiator, etc. So thats where I am right now, most of my money is going to the paint job, but I'm getting a new job paying 43k a year, which isn't that much, but I live at home, eat with my parents 98% of the time, and have little other outside expenses. So what that means is I will hopefully be able to build it right the first time and build the car of my dreams. Which makes me happy.

Boobala:

I don't really know to mount the rear sway bar and I haven't tried bolting them in yet. I'm sure one of the other guys with them could chime in here. Again the Miata seats were already previously installed before the owner dis-assembled everything, and I haven't tried bolting them in yet either, so I will post them hopefully later on this year on their installation, since they will go in as the last step.

Chewievette:

A puzzle indeed, while most of the bolts for major components are there, there are a lot of little bolts/nuts that I'll have to replace which is fine, because I would have done that anyways. Luckily I still have my 280Z sitting next to it for a template for most things.

240hoke:

Yeah, I'm glad that I no longer have to ask you, Quoc (240Z_Master), Alex (SR240Z), and Mike (ON3GO) about what they think of a Z in a classified ad.

A lot of people may not think paying 4k for all these parts is worth it, but when you start adding up the cost of the parts, the body work, beefed up frame, and little things it adds up to a lot more money and a lot closer to 10k at least in parts. Not to mention, NO RUST literally, no front in damage, straight body except where the lead was removed and welded back (to be expected). A little degreaser and cleaning, will go a long way with the dirty parts. So all in all I'm very, very, happy.

Tyson

id say thats a good buy. you dont want to do what im doing. i have a lot of fun doing it, but looking back, i would have spent more money to get something nicer. its taken me about 9 months to get to the point of even thinking about the motor and im still not done with the body. my pictures need to be updated, i have waaayyy more stuff done now. engine is going to be dropped pretty soon and 240sx rear subframe is going on maybe tomorrow and next day.

...getting painted just a shade Subaru blue with gloss black ZG Flairs' date=' Air dam, and the wheels will be [b']gloss black[/b] as well with a chrome lip...

Sounds like you have great taste in color choices!

Agree w/ above about this being a great deal. The VP in charge of financing has told me more than once that I could have saved $ buying an intact car for what I've spent on the latest project :).

Sounds like you have great taste in color choices!

Agree w/ above about this being a great deal. The VP in charge of financing has told me more than once that I could have saved $ buying an intact car for what I've spent on the latest project :).

Thanks, I hope it looks as good in person as it looks in my head :P . One thing that is great about this car is it has taken out a lot of the guess work for certain parts that I know very little about. Which is good for saving a couple of headaches.

Tyson

shucks...i was hoping to score those suspension/brake parts from mas280....

o well...

you got a greaaat deal :rockon:. hope it turns out well.

:burnout:

Haha sorry, I just asked if I could take all his parts off of him and he said yeah, so off we went with a truck load, and trailer full datsun parts.

Thanks pjo046, one thing that was nice is that there isn't/wasn't any place unseen for there to be rust hiding. Mas28O even had it up on a rotiserrie, turned it over for me to see the underbelly and all.

Tyson

Q: How do you mount a rear sway bar with those chrom-moly control arms? I see no attach point.

On the back side of the toe adjustment, the point of the triangle, there is a female threaded hole to attach a rod end with a bolt. I thought he includes them with the arms but could be wrong.

• 1 month later...

So a little while later and here is an update finally. An 2001 41k Mile LS1/T56 engine/transmission combo, complete with ECU, uncut wiring harness, all other normal parts, a brand new Fidanza lightweight flywheel, and new Sanderson Block huggers (idk if they will work with Johns Cars' Kit).

Here are the pics:

100_0743.jpg

100_0742.jpg

100_0741.jpg

100_0739.jpg

100_0738.jpg

100_0736.jpg

100_0735.jpg

100_0740.jpg

This also means a have a fully rebuilt 350 SBC now for sale. (PM me if interested).

Tyson