HybridZ

VH45DE in Z32

Guest riu

I know that the VH45DE has been swapped into a Z32 by several of you and I am deeply considering this swap myself in the future. I currently have a Z32 2+2 auto, and a q45 will be passed down to me soon. I want to know what I'm getting myself into.

Can anyone like Lost or Zgringo or anyone else who has done or is doing this swap write up a summary of what needs to be done, what it takes, what custom fabrication is needed, which MT tranny is best (z31/z32 5spd or z33 6spd?), whether or not i should stick with my Z32 auto tranny or the q45 auto tranny or a Z33 auto tranny with DSG slap shifter or some other shift at will system, time spent in the shop (i don't have the means to work on or fabricate anything myself, everything will be going through my mechanics), whether or not there are any shops in northern california that could do the swap (i live near the following Z shops: exact motorsports, z car garage, ND autocare, MWS motorsports, and Scott Performance), whether or not you (if you run a shop) would provide a swap service, ballpark cost, reliability, average performance numbers, whether or not twin turbo is worth it and how much more it takes to TT the VH45 or should i go full out built NA, etc. Any and all info would be great.

sorry for my overwhelming first post, but i hope to get to know you guys well. I also post at 300zxclub.net incase i actually have talked to any of you before.

Thanks.

Ballpark cost=your first born.

Are you really prepared to shell out that kind or cash? I bet you are in for at least $20K.

I've actually done a cost comparison and it would be cheaper to swap it into a Z32 than it would an S30 mostly because of all of the suspension and drivetrain stuff needed for the S30. The Z32 pretty much has everything you need already.

I've actually done a cost comparison and it would be cheaper to swap it into a Z32 than it would an S30 mostly because of all of the suspension and drivetrain stuff needed for the S30. The Z32 pretty much has everything you need already.

Very true, the Z32 would not require as many things. The Z32 is a better starting point. The author of the post has a 2+2. Everyone I've ever talked to that upgraded a NA to a TT said they wouldn't do it again. It's a lot more work. Granted a lot of things on this car would be different application/custom, but IMHO the TT would be a better starting point. If you hit the salvage yards and are patient acquiring the pieces it is probably not a big deal.

If you are doing a swap like this on your own, costs can be reasonable, but the moment you have professional help to do the entire job it can get really expensive. Labor charges are better than half the cost of the project. Probably higher factoring in custom fabrication. Once the car is unassembled the big killer is always "While I am at it I should...". The best bet in that case would be to find a shop that wants to do the job as a project to showcase their skills. You end up with lots of down time on your car, but the R&D ends up cheap. It is a trade off.

Without being a complete list here are some things needed:

Different Diff ratio (NA is 4.08 IIRC)

Custom engine mounts

Probably custom Alt and AC mounts

Fab plumbing for IC

Fab lines for Oil Cooler

Oil Cooler

Custom Exhaust manifold

Bigger TB

Intercoolers

Turbos

Injectors

Dish pistons (to lower compression ratio)

ECU (Any number of options and programming needed)

EVC

• 1 year later...

Cal Poly Zmanaustin that looks like a good list. It would be interesting to see what a vh45de swapped in a z32 would involve, if you aren't turboin it immediatly, you could run the stock injectors and components, but you would still have to fund Custom engine mounts

Probably custom Alt and AC brackets

Fab lines for Oil Cooler

Oil Cooler

ECU couldn't you run the q45 ecm tho?

EVC

• 4 months later...
Guest My300zxOK

ok i may seem so nieve but i am thinkin about buyin a q45 in full from a salvage yard. being that i will have eveything, except for mounts or whatnot to fab. i also have my z32 which i have already removed all that sits inside the chassis except harness and my vg30de i have no need for ac so its gone no heather its gone and honestly im only in it for the most simple of setups i am a hobbist and i want my "toy" just to have a drivetrain that goes. so if everyone here is sayin its possible to fit the vh, im thinkin with two vehicles with all harnesses and stuff please tell me this would be enough to help me start my project.. i have been thinkin about this swap for along time not knowing it was completed already but i feel because of this site i have the courage to go on into the deepths of this build...fill me in with your SMARTS!