HybridZ

Help me decide on louver layout for rear panel

pparaska

I was looking at the pictures in the latest "Popular Hotrodding Magazine" that has the orange 'Cuda on the cover ("Baddest Musclecar Ever") and liked the louvers they put on either side of the diffuser. I've read that there is air trapped behind the rear panel, and thought that I might have the body shop do something similar since they're putting a new rear panel on the car.

I've taken the best rear on photo I had of my Z and doctored it a bit with louvers. Actually, it's a photo of the rear end after it was hit. I "fixed" the rear panel below the bumper and "painted" it all the same color. Note that the bumper is pushed down, and will actually be put back on a bit higher, so there is some more room above the louvers I "installed".

Anyway, here are the "photos" of what I have in mind. I believe it's a 4 or 5" punch they have, so I kind of eyeballed it for that size.

I'm not sure how much the louvers will cost to punch, but I imagine the charge is by the louver. They would be punched in from the back of the panel, so that the opening is downward and inside the under area of the car.

Please give me some feedback on the number of "columns" of louvers that look better/best, etc. Why one looks better than the others, what you'd change, etc.

Or whether you think I should do this at all!

Cheers,

Pete

http://alteredz.com/image/body/7columns3rowsAboveExh.JPG

http://alteredz.com/image/body/6columns3rowsAboveExh.JPG

http://alteredz.com/image/body/5columns3rowsAboveExh.JPG

I'm not sure I like the louvers. For some reason they look a little out of place back there. The edges of the louvers are also a good place for paint chipping to start, especially in an area low to the ground like that. Maybe have the areas with louvers cut out entirely, with some kind of grill behind then to hide the gas tank, etc? Or maybe just some .25" or .5" slots cut in place of the louvers. Idea #3, have a pattern (or several patterns) of .75" holes punched out. Sorry to come across like the proverbial wet blanket Pete :)

Mike

Are you wanting do to this because of functionality, but not because of appearance? Then I say don't do it. Do you really think it will make much difference? Do you normally run your car in so high speed that this would be a matter of concern?

If you look at my signature picture, you see that in that state, there will of course be alot of air trapped back there. But you still have your wheel well and also a fuel tank there. Then there's the twin mufflers. Not much room left for air to be trapped? Of course some, but not much I would think.

The owner of this car flew my dad down to SEMA to photograph this car. He says it was designed to "corner really good and go really fast" (quote from him standing in the kitchen).

There are some pretty good photos of it on his computer I could post up if anyone wants.

I'm a little surprised to see Pete's thinking about adding something that might be considered a little on the bling side.:icon52:

If you were going to do this I would say go for less rows and make them wider...but I think you'd be better off without them.

Bartman: :D Not everything the bling crowd does is unique thinking or even originated by them :) Louvers have been around since the 1920s on hotrods. As far as making them wider, that's not an option, as the guys don't have but the one punch. But wider might be better than a bunch of narrow ones.

Z-Rex: There's really no room for a diffuser with the stock tank and rear panel.

jmortenson: The last thing I'd want to do to this Z is make it look "NASCAR" :D

My memory must be shot... I could have sworn you ran a cell. As for the panel, I was thinking more along the lines of replacing the stock one- if I had any photoshop skills (or the program itself) I'd try to show you what's in my head.

jmortenson: The last thing I'd want to do to this Z is make it look "NASCAR" :D

Here's another idea you won't like... :wink: Obviously you can't do the hole saw bit, because you'd die from the fumes, unlike this Europa. But if you look at the bottom he basically cut most of the panel away leaving a wide hole almost all the way across.

As I've always said, if I could strap a dead chicken to the hood and go faster, I'd have a dead chicken strapped to my hood... but to each his own.

youwontlikethiseither.jpg

PS... THAT IS A FAAAAAAST CAR!!!