HybridZ

James Hamm's Porsche 911 V8 conversion (lotsa pics!)

olie05

I'm still on the board but I'm deployed in Iraq again (5th tour). Its been a long time since I visited my old post.

1. The question about carbs: You are right about conversions and the carb motor. This was my first attempt at an engine conversion and because I'm an engine and transmission guy, I was terrified by the wiring involved. There is a guy in Texas who does LS1 conversions and has a great wiring harness ready to go.

2. The statement about the mufflers: The ones you have posted would have looked a lot better. The mufflers on the car were the first shot at getting the noise down. I was an inexperienced welder so what was on there was my own handywork on the machine. About two months after those photos were posted, the mufflers were realigned and tucked nicely where you could not see the cannisters anymore.

3. The electric water pump is the WP337 from Meziere. I could have used an external water pump but I would have had to buy it from Renegade Hybrids or Rod Simpson. I wanted to avoid any commitment to either of those two companies since the cost of fabrication to cost to consumer is retarted. The Meziere pump was excellent and I didn't have any overheating issues.

4. The radiator was a custom unit made by two very good friends of mine (Devon Zorman / George Huering) at C&R Racing for my project. They designed it with the electric pump, the hose diameter / lenght and line pressure in mind to make it work very well as a system.

5. I know the last post was Feb but I have been out of the loop for several months. I still appreciate the interest. I sold the car because of all of my deployments and I really did want a car with an LS1 that I could drive daily. I now have a 78 280 that I'm working on installing an LS1 with a T56. I have the car and the motor / trans but I have not started the build to do my deployment. I'll be back on the board hot and heavy in Augo of 08 when the troop surge is over. The plan is to get John Washington's / VR Engineering widebody flares and start all over again.

Talk to all of you soon,

James....

I'm with Yasin. Even tough I see a lot of work done to make it go as fast as it does (or as I think id does), the flat four and six has always been a part of P-cars' character, ever since the first Beetles and 356s. :)