HybridZ

are you going it alone or do you have help

One more for the alone column, at least nowadays.

Used to be that I lived with a guy who worked at a Z junkyard for years. The guy knows EVERYTHING Z. I mean everything. Later I lived with a Nissan master tech who had worked at a Z shop for years and raced 510s. A couple of very close friends also race 510s. I used to have 2 friends with modded Z's as well. When this was the situation I found that I "couldn't" do the mods I wanted to do to my own car. I would wait for them to help me, basically I was helpless. They were a great resource for sure, but sometimes it's better to be self reliant.

For the last 4 years I've been working with only hybridz to assist me, and I've come SO far it's really pretty remarkable. I was working as a mechanic back then, but I wouldn't ever have torn into the diff, I couldn't weld, I wouldn't have ever considered fabbing anything myself. Granted the situation changed a lot, and I have a whole bunch of tools that I didn't have back in the day, but not having someone else to do the job for me really brought out the best in me I think, made me learn a hell of a lot more too. And as a few others have mentioned, working on the car is now a great form of stress relief for me.

Last thing is I would like to point out about my own situation is that when you rely on someone else you are subject to THEIR limitations. The Nissan master tech couldn't stand the idea of putting a V8 in a Z, because it "ruins the handling". If I knew then what I know now, I'd have a V8 in the car. There are a lot more limitations stories, but I don't want to sound bitter, because at the time reliance on them was the path that I chose. And to those friends' credit there were times when I'm sure I was just the jackass who couldn't do anything on his own car without their help.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I've learned by owning a shop is to keep my opinions about a customer's dreams to myself. My job is to fullfill my customer's dreams, not create them. I will speak up regarding safety items and will make recommendations about what should be done and in what order to achieve the customer's dream car, but if you want to put a BB Chevy in a Yugo to go ice racing, I'll help you get it done.

run in here, do a search, run back to the z. ignore what i read, try it my way, spend way more money and time than i should.

lick my wounds, read more posts, more searches, check the balance on my credit card, more engineering on the fly, toss out 98% of what i've done, start over.

bounce a few messages off the usual people, thanks for putting up with the penniless dreamer !!!

the shoulders with the good angel and the bad angel on either shoulder, you guys here are the good ones, much appreciate it !!!

i may wrench by myself, but i don't think i am alone.

got dsl and the website.

all of my car friends have long since married and moved away, others have passed to a place where i hope the air is clean, racing fuel runs free and they never bust a knuckle ( sometime i feels like they are with me, lending a hand, holding that washer in place, putting great and crazy ideas in my head ).

my son is 17, to make me happy he really wants to be a car guy, he has the gift, i show him once, he's got it. new drums, seals, wheel cylinders, hoses, ect brake job on his 72 baja bug( our project ). as i watched and advised he did the passenger side. did the driver's side on his own, plus changed the front shocks.

he wants to help on the z, but it's all custom stuff, trail and error.

he has several other hobbies as well as home work, saxophone in school band, drummer/lead singer in couple garage bands, the only child of a single parent ( just the 2 of us since '95 ).

with my son, i do have someone to help lift, shove or hold something in place. bring me a cold soda, reminds me to stop and eat something. that's always a big help !

i might be out there by myself, but i don't think i'm alone.

kinda corny, hey ??

thanks again to everyone !

I read and enjoyed all the replies in this thread.

If anything ever has to get done I do it myself. I try and research as much as possible. I outsource machining and most welding. Mistakes can be costly. But I did not let that scare me when I assembled my first motor. I just did not put alot of money in it. YEah I spun a couple bearings but I found out why and do not repeat those mistakes. there is no other way for me to learn.

Grump I appreciate everything you said especially the part about finding out "EXACTLY" how something is supposed to be done. I find that there are alot of people who talk about doing something and then there are those who do it.

RIght now the SBC still presents alot of mysteries to me. I am ready to start another engine build slowly and correctly. Would like to pick your brain. I will definately look at all your posts before consulting you.

It is a grand adventure trying-- success or failure always provides feedback for the next attempt. AT 43 with young children, 5 and 10, I have come to the realization that if something on the car doesnt get done today that is OK. The car take the lowest priority over everything. I do enjoy those hours in the garage. When I am out there I loose track of time. It is usually once the kids and wife go to bed that I change clothes and head out there. I used to get really frustrated because I could not spend every waking hour on a project or steps of a project until it was complete. Now I have learned to set limits and boundaries. Oh yeah I run over once in a while.

The other thing is that after a few days in a row of wrenching my shoulders seem to start aching. WTF is that? My wife says bursitis "You are older now".

When did this happen. What else is going to happen.

The major reason I got into this project was to learn about and go through every system in an auto. I've alway's wanted a V8 Z and was finally in a place where I could ,slowly, afford to rebuild one. I do most of my work alone, but wouldn't mind help now an again. None of the guy's i hang with are really into cars, they think I'm going to kill my self w/ this car. There is one other guy on this forum that is close that I'm sure would help if I ask, but I always feel guilty because I know how busy he is on his own projects and work. So, alone it is most of the time. I read alot, and have leared tons while doing this one totally alone.

Of course I'm not really alone, you guy's are always here to answer just about and stupid question I can come up with.

Thanks!

Oh, and the local Z club guys told me that a V8 in a Z totally ruins every positive aspect of the car. Been to a couple of meetings like 3 years ago and won't be back till the local car show or track day to 'learn' them!

I'm a loner too!!! by that I mean I do 99% of the physical work myself. I have a couple of friends (non gear heads) who did help me stab the engine in my Z. I think the only reason theay did it was for bragging rights! Meaning if the Z is at the track or a car show, They tell people that they helped build it! B.S.!!!

As for the mental-thinking part of my projects, whole different story. I've made some real good friends from this site. Mainly being MAS280 and LS1240Z. They are always ahead of me in projects (Z's and FD's). Always better to ask alot of questions than pay later. And the same goes the other way around. They ask me for advice as well as I've helped many people on this board through forums, phone calls, pm's and e-mails. I've heard it menctioned here many times that we are on our "own little island." I'm sure everbody agrees, I would really be on my own little island if it wasn't for HYBRIDZ!!!

JOEY

I guess I'm in the lucky category as well, I have 5 buddies that all share the same passion. And if it weren't for my boy, we wouldn't even have a z, well, maybe not anyway since my first encounter was with a scarab back in the 70's.

You have to realize what your limitations are, some work is better farmed out for most people including myself. As you gain experience, capability and confidence, you'll get alot more done by yourself. Tools, Tools, Tools, he who has the most tools wins the war on cars. I have a lifetime of tools and I'd still like to have more. If you don't have the proper tool, your kind of pissing in the wind IMO. Shop or facilities to work in are about mandatory since we all work, most of this happens at night or on weekends. That is where buddies come in. Lastly I don't think a newbie should start out with a tubular frame all out race car. There is too much that you won't know and there is soo much to enjoy starting with a stocker and working your way up the ladder if you so choose.

I think that if we all lived next door we'd have one hell of a z subdivision.

I have been lucky, My neighbhor has helped me with the suspension and bodywork, and he is anticipating doing the drivertain swap to my car as I am. Ed has restored a MGB, and now working on his 70-71? convertible mustang. Reading Pete Paraska talk about his dad strikes a nerve with me as well. The name Dudeboy was my Dad's drag racing team in the late 60's early 70's and I get my love of cars and wrenching from him. My parents retired to Las Vegas about five years ago, but now are in the process of moving here to Georgia :) To make a long story short, I will have my Dad here in June to wrench with me and I am really looking forward to having him here. I am also blessed to have a wife that love's cars and will come out to the garage and make sure I am not hungry or thirsty - and also indicated she wants to assist when it comes time to dropping the V8 in the Z.

Add another entry to the loaner column for me.

There are several guys in my neighborhood who are car guys but all of us pretty much keep to ourselves. I know, it's kinda sad, but each of us is pursueing something a little different and we're all busy so giving time to another is tough to do. One guy is building a mini-truck and another races mini-stockers and then there's me. Of us 3 I'm the oldest but not necessarily the most experienced. I'm pretty good friends with the mini-truck guy (Phil) and have helped him and a buddy of his do some welding but I just can't get interested in those rigs and I don't feel comfortable having Phil do work on my car.

My son helped me with some stuff but when it gets down to it I'm just one of those guys that has to do things himself to feel it's done right, that is unless it's something I don't know how to do. I'll help others when I have time but really want to do all the work on my car alone if it's possible, I guess it's also my escape from others demanding my time. My kids are both grown and the wife encourages me to work on it, I think she feels bad that I was forced to abandon my hobby for 13 years because we moved into a house that had no room for it and the kids were in those formative years when they need all your time.

Anyway she is very supportive of me and leaves me alone when I'm in the garage and if I don't ask for help from one of the guys in the neighborhood or a buddy no help is ever offered.

Maybe I'm just to hard to be around for any length of time.

Wheelman

See, this is how it works. Tony, a buddy, now has a rod knock in his DSM AWD turbo car. It was a built motor with eagle rods, aries pistons, etc. 1000 miles on it. So, today he comes by tells me the news. Took him for a ride in the z and he left. We went to check out his car and the wind is blowing like 30 mph and he can't work on it in his driveway. So, I say, we'll move the z to the garage at the house, he can use my trailer and haul his dsm over and put it in the shop, pull the motor and I'll build the engine for free. That'll save him some bucks and he can upgrade other stuff. Besides, he can learn how to do it right this time.

Friends, wish I had more and wish you all had the ones I do.

Yeah, my AWD DSM ('92 Talon) blew after three days... the temp sensor was dead, I had a replacement and I was taking my car to a buddy's to get it fixed, on my way the radiator hose cracked open, leaked dry -- and warped the head off the block...

BTW, I doubt that's his problem cause it knocks like a jackass in a tin barn even when cranking and the ignition pulled.

He's going to pull it this week, I'll pull the pan later this week and take a peek, then we'll go from there. It has eagle rods and aries pistons so hopefully a piston didn't contact the head, but I'm not too hopefull. Probably going to need a piston, rod, resize the remainder of rods, crank turned or replaced, balanced (since the original builder didn't balance it and he pulled the balance shafts out and it vibrated pretty bad in the upper rpm's) and we'll massage the cylinder head while we are there. He wants to upgrade the synchros in the 3 and 4 gears since he already did the 1 and 2 gears. He's got a badass GT42 on it now managed by AEM but it needs tuned, should be making some insano HP if he can get it to run. He's been getting ripped off by wannabe mechanics and tuners now for 2 years and I'm sick of it so I kind of bullied him into bringing it over. This is his 3rd motor in 2 years and has lasted about the longest, a whopping 1000 miles. This is a good kid and he doesn't have the money, so I'm going to do the work for free and see if I can make this whole thing work for him. Tuning ought to be fun the emanual for AEM is freakin huge. I downloaded all the manuals and it's quite detailed.

• 3 months later...

When I was in high school my buddies and I would work together on our cars. But now with wives, kids homes etc it's hard to find time to work tohether if you can find someone close enough to work with.

I did a member search for my state Florida and found most memeber only listed the state and not the city. If more people listed the city it would be easier to find people close to you.

Any thoughts on how to do that?

Brad

This is going to sound utterly ridiculous, but wouldn't it be great to have something analogous to "personal ads" in newspapers, but rather for people interested in joining groups to work on cars?

A common theme in this and similar threads seems to be: "when I was in high school/college/growing up/single/etc. my dad/uncle/buddies/neighbor/etc. and I would work together on cars, but now with a wife/kids/mortage/career I'm (a) too busy, (B) friends are too busy, and © everyone has moved on".

Well, when I was in high school/college/grad school I was working my butt off studying. All that I did was study; there was no time for cars. Now that I'm an "adult" - mid 30's, house with garage, plenty of money and actually plenty of time - everyone is gone! It's quite disconcerting to be so out of phase.

I'm in the loner catagory also. I will go to someone's house to help them, but the guys I help dont know much, so I'm hesitant to let them work on my stuff. I spend most days correcting conceptual errors these supposed "gear-heads" have. Some of these guys actually work on other's cars for money, but dont have a clue. My most common answer when they ask me is "Look it up online" As long as you stay away from crackpot websites, the info is normally pretty good.

My .02

I was in the same boat for a while, sort of a solitary hobby. When I found this site I found lots of people with the same interest, that are willing to help out with advise, information, and honest opinions. If I can't have a few gearheads in the garage leaning over a fender with a beer, I guess this is the next best thing. Thanks guys.

In the 50's car "clubs" were usually a bunch of hot rod guys that pooled their money and rented a warehouse/garage space. They kept and worked on their cars there, shared tools, and helped each other out. It's an awesome idea, but I'm not sure people are honest enough these days.

Before I joined the Navy, I usually had friends available if I needed a hand. It was pretty fair, I helped my buddies, they helped me. Back then my roommate and I had THE house. There was always a car or motorcycle torn apart, and people coming in and out. Our garage was a local hangout. I miss that. The only issue I ran into was the "lack of credit", which bothered me. When you hear someone talking about a car you did weeks of work on, and overhear numerous, "Well, I did this...", on parts of the car you did, it kind of makes you want to let them go it alone next time.

I have been the guy changing his tranny in the driveway in winter all by myself too. No one I know now really is into cars. Some of my friends are trying to learn though. But, as you know, "liking cars" isn't the same as having the full blown car sickness. I am the go to guy for anything motor-related. Ever try to explain detonation or reversion to a neophyte? When I see one of them rolling down the window to hear something in the other lane, I'll know my work is done.