HybridZ

Absolute widest wheels/tires?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

As some of you know I recently purchased a 73 240Z in fine condition which I plan on setting up for autocrossing and maybe some road-racing when I get the performance dialed up. The first things I plan to work on are the suspension, brakes and wheels. I plan on going with the complete strut assemblies made by Arizona Z Car (the ones with brakes, coilovers, and lower control arms). Any better ideas or comments?

What I am uncertain about, however, are the wheels and tires. I plan on eventually lowering the car roughly 1"-1.5" and probably adding flares (at least in the rear) if necessary. What are the absolute widest wheels/tires I can run on 16" wheels with the stock setup now (and the lowered setup in the near future)? I have heard of people running 16x8 front and 16x9 wheels in the back... that seems very wide to me. Will zero offset wheels of that size fit? If so, which wheels in those sizes and offset are available? Panasport? Prices?

Thanks

Max

My car has 15X8 wheels all the way around and I do not have coil overs yet. I have no problems with wheel fitment. However, I do have 3" flares on the back. 16 X9s on the rear of a flared car would fit great. I'm probably gonna fit some 15X10 wheels on the rear when I go with 285s in the back. Right now I'm running 265s on the back, but I'll upgrade later as the other car comes together!

Any wheel manufacturer will make custom lug sizes and any offset you want, they'll just cost you a bunch. You also want Zero offset on the wheel. a 15X10 will fit the rear just fine with zero offset if you are using coil overs.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

I have flares and stock springs. My wheels are Revolution 15x9 with a 4.5" backspace and I clear the springs fine with 245/50-15 tires (24.6"). Where I run to problems is trying to run a taller tire. I mounted up some 26.4" tires for drag racing and they hit the spring perch. So, I would say 16" rims with the popular 245/45 size at 24.88" would fit fine. If you get coilovers you solve that problem and could probably even go with a 5" backspacing and be safe with even wider wheel and tires like the 15 or 16x10 and 285s like Mike mentioned.

If you absolutely intend to flare the car, then buy the wheels/tires to fit that setup.

Scottie

Guest Anonymous

Psyence,

Check out http://www.salesco.com/wheels/vintage/index.html. On the left menu to go to the "Composite Chrome Wheels". They have a few models that look similar to Panasports, "12 Falcon" and "Excel" I believe. I have sent an e-mail to K-Speed in Pennsylvania regarding some Panasports but have not had a response. I have also sent an e-mail to "Salesco" regarding the weights of their wheels and various finishes but have not had a response either. For the Panasport type wheels I would want a dull, or machined, type finish on the center rather than chrome. The "Salesco" website advises their wheels come with a lifetime structural warranty and they will make them with any offset and bolt pattern for no extra charge. If anyone is familiar with their products I would be interested in your comments.

Thanks,

Chris

Guest Anonymous

Psyence,

Take a look at the Revolution wheels at www.ttrsracing.com .

Mike loaned me some of his old Z Car Magazine issues to look through and I fell in love with these wheels when I saw them. I had searched everyplace for them and could never find them, well I kind of stumbled across them today after checking in over at ZCar.com this morning.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited June 16, 2000).]

Chris,

I to have been looking at wheels and fitment on my 260Z and have talked to both companies (k-speed & salesco). I'm not very knowledgeable in this area but this is what I've found out. The Panasports come in many different diameters but the largest width is 7 inches. This being the case you are probable limited to a 225 x 16 inch tire. Not very big for a V8Z car. Below is the e-mail response I received from Salesco;

"Thank you for your inquiry to Salesco Wheel Dept. The following is a brief overview of our procedures, for further information call toll free 1-800-407-8665 10 to 5 Los Angeles Time, Ask for John he is our wheel broker.

All wheels are shipped promptly after the order is received usually within a few days. Shipping charges start at $48.50 for a set of 4. Most wheels you see on our web site are ready for immediate shipment.

All fitment is doubled checked for accuracy by our wheel broker who has over 20 years experience in fitment problems.

Tire packages are available and the wheels come with tires mounted and

balanced ready to bolt on. Call for more information

Most information you need is on our web site http://www.salesco.com/wheels including price and sizes availability.

Remember if you have any questions call toll free 800-407-8665 or if you are out of the country 909-394-7790, sometimes all lines are busy on the 800 number for an immediate response use 909-394-7790 this number goes right into the wheel dept."

I have not called "John" - got sidetracked but if you do call him please let us know what he says.

Thanks,

Danno74Z

Guest Anonymous

Danno,

Will do...John is the person that I sent the e-mail to. If I get the same "form" answer I will give them a call and post the results of my conversation.

Chris

Guest Fast Frog

I've got Centerline whls specially made for Datsun Z cars from Jim Cook Racing on my 76 ZV8. 7" in the front with 205/55/15 ZR's and 10" whls in the back. The 10" whls have the standard Z off set of 3 7/16" (I believe). I run 245/50/15 ZR's (10" width) in the back.

I've also have IMSA style rear flares.

The whls fit fine and for all except the most vigorous twisty road driving, I have no rubbing against the flare or old fender well. I have, on occassion, felt the rear whls rub against the rear whl well when turning sharply over a series of dips in the road. Since I don't road race it, this is of little concern; however, for rallies or road racing, I would definately be sure that your body and paint guy cuts out the upper portion of the old whl well high enough to prevent whl contact under competition driving.

GN conversion was only started last December. A black car really looks good with a fresh wax job and the right light, hehe. But seriously, My buddy and I rescued this car ('71) from a boneyard over 20yrs ago and the bodywork and paint is over 19yrs old. Up close it shows its age and it had an accident since that shot last summer.

Psy, the wheels are 15x9 revolution 5-spoke all around. Front tires are 225/55/15 and rears are 245/50-15. High-perf springs (cant remember brand), Tokico Illumina shocks, lots of poly bushings. Front brakes are 82 280ZX front calipers and 84 300ZX vented rotors. Rears are 82 280ZX clipers/rotors, plus early ZX 15/15 master cylinder. Another key to the suspension are the F&R strut tower braces and the 6-pt welded rollcage. Amazing what they do for a car's suspension. The flares are ZAP and were purchased through the now-defunct National Z-club in NJ. I believe one of the Z-car vendors still sell them or a copy.

Scottie

Guest Anonymous

Scottie,

Great looking car!!! Those black center Revolutions really look good with the black paint job...Now the million dollar question: How in the world do you keep that thing so clean?

I had a black Altima and waxed and polished it almost weekly and I don't think it ever looked as good as your car.

Chris

Guest Anonymous

Hot Damn! I think I just pissed myself. That is probably the sweetest Z I've seen so far (have been poking around the Net for about two weeks).

What size are the wheels and tires?

Is the suspension stock?

Who makes those flares?

Somebody calling themself "Max" on Zcar.com asked this question the same way, so I think I answered them there. Here's the response I posted there:

I bought the wheels that are in most of the magazine pictures of Jim Biondo's car from Jim himself. (Jim has converted to 5 lug front and rear since then and now runs SSR Integral wheels.) He did all the research on how to get the wides 17 inch wheel and tire under the stock 240/260/280Z rear fender. Here are the numbers:

Rear: and 17x9 with 149mm, 255/45-17 Michelin Pilot SX MXX3 tires. Note that on the rear, I have Jim's old brake setup that he had these wheel's custom made to fit. The brakes are Arizona Z Car's old rear racing kit with drilled solid discs on aluminum hats. The key is that the hat is 1/2" thick at the stub axle mating flange. So this 149 mm backspacing will be too large if using the stock brake drum by the difference of the thicknesses of the stock drum and the 1/2" thick hat on the Arizona Z car discs.

With this setup there is just barely 3/16" clearance between the wheel and the coilover spring collar. I had to use an 8" free length spring with the coilover located at the top of the strut housing so that the tire would not rub the sidewall. The fender needs to be rolled about 1/4" (on my stock replacement 1/4 panels) to clear the tire.

Also, be aware that if you go to another tire manufacturer or model, the tire sizes for a given designation (i.e., 255/45-17) change enough that the tires could be smaller or larger than desired. I think these tires are no longer being made.

Front: 17x8.5 with 142mm backspacing, 235/45-17 Michelin Pilot SX MXX3 tires. 1/8" wheel spacer is used to get the tire away from a 2.5" coilover spring (Carerra).

(and now to add a bit more content for the hybridz.org site wink.gif

BTW, I'm using Jim's old 280Z stub axles with 1/2-20 ARP long lug studs in the rear and 240Z hubs in the front with 7/16"-20 ARP long lug studs in the front.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@tidalwave.net">pparaska@tidalwave.net -