HybridZ

has anyone modified their stock seat rails to fit aftermarket seats?

JaysZ

I'm not familiar with the SPG per se, but I had a set of Recaros in my car for a long time. I used the Recaro bracket (yes, they had one for a Z) but it was not so good. The angle of the thigh section of the seat was so steep that my calves would go to sleep after driving for a bit. So I modified it by cutting and welding the front part of the slider and welding that the the Recaro adapter to take some of the angle out. This worked pretty well.

Here's one pic: seat1.jpg

Later I bought an Ultra-Shield racing seat, and to install it I had to build a new seat bracket. Pics of that in these threads -- on the second one check at the end of the thread. I ended up attaching the frame to the subframe connectors that I installed as part of my TC rod modification.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103817

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=106974

Anyway I hope one or the other or both help you out. I did check the seat quickly online and it looks like a real racing seat. The thing that surprised me most about my new seat is that since the butt of the seat is solid you don't sink into it. This means you need to mount the seat quite a bit lower to give ample headroom with a helmet. I had problems with headroom trying to mount the Ultra-Shield on the stock seat mounts and I'm only 6' tall.

Oh yeah. I should mention that johnc has repeatedly stated that you should not bother with sliders on a racecar. I just did because my wife occasionally takes the car out at an autox, and even on the big track once too. I can justify spending money more easily if she can still drive the damn thing...

The full race brackets are very simple basically just a big piece of angle aluminum. Drill holes in floor, drill holes in side of seat. Done. I think ioport racing has them.

I modified the stock rails to have a ford f150 seat fit. That seat was freakin heavy and only did it so I could drive it home because there was no driver seat, and moving the pass seat over to the drive, the trans tunnel got in the way of the reclining latch from locking. fit pretty well though, but my head was 2 inches from the roof, I'm short (5'6").

I should mention that johnc has repeatedly stated that you should not bother with sliders on a racecar.

Well, I do tend to be extreme in my zeal to save weight and lower the cg. And after watching Hans Stuck violently move the seat forward and jamb Boris Said's balls into the crotch strap of the M3GTR during a driver change pit stop, I prefer fixed seats.

I modified the stock rails to have a ford f150 seat fit. That seat was freakin heavy and only did it so I could drive it home because there was no driver seat, and moving the pass seat over to the drive, the trans tunnel got in the way of the reclining latch from locking. fit pretty well though, but my head was 2 inches from the roof, I'm short (5'6").

AK-Z, Ive never said it but damn your Z is awesome. Looks like it just popped out of a mold....oops wrong forum...:mrgreen:

Terry

I did modify aftermarket seats to fit my stock rails does that count? I drilled new holes in the bottoms of my Forza's which allowed me to bolt the seats into the stock holes, now I have to rework everything to mount my GTS2's

that might be easier/cheaper to do.. i'll have to see if that is possible. my buddy borrowed my seat for a track event

I made some "H" adapters from 2 and 1 inch wide 1/8 inch steel stock. Heres a link to the picture.http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.p...o=6358&cat=500[/url'].

looks good thanks for the pic, nice car!

Glad to help. The 1 inch wide steel stock is hidden behind the stock rails BTW. I had to trial fit the seat 4 to 5 times to get the holes in the right places. Oh, one more thing, both sides are different offset and I had to cut the inner recliner adjuster off to get them to fit.:mrgreen:

I used 90 degree angled steel to attach my 350z seat. I drilled a hole in the stock sliders and ran a bolt through to make them fixed position, put them in the car and used the angle iron to make cross pieces front and back.

Then I mounted those cross pieces to the sliders on the new seat, and use that seats sliders instead.

I did the same thing with CRX seats in the past, and it seems to work well.