HybridZ

Clunking and creaking from the rear

Okay, I've heard about the infamous "clunk" in the rear of the Z cars. I've got a 72 that seems to have this problem and when I have a chance I've got a solid mount ready to put in - once I take it off my parts car (grr).

Anyway, in addition to clunking I also get a pretty ominous creak or clunk going around turns in a "spirited" manner. Is this also being caused by the rear diff mount or might I have other problems? When I had it on a lift I checked the bottom side out pretty good but didn't check the rear suspension bolts - could one be loose causing this? I did notice that the passenger control arm must havestruck somethnig as there was a mild scape in the undercoating and a decent sized ding in the arm. It still looks sound but with this creakclunk during hard cornering I'm wondering. Doesn't seem to happen in smooth off ramps just fairly rough turns. (sigh)

Ideas? I do intend to get under it and check it over but I've never worked on one of these types of rears before...

Thanks!

Update...

Spent a bit of quality time under the car this afternoon. Front mount on diff looks perfect, no tears. There's no strap above the nose of the diff though and I thought there was supposed to be one - yes? Should I do the JTR wrap the wire around the diff mod? (smile)

The bushings nearest the pumpkin on the arms looked a bit rough though and it just so happens I had some urethane replacements. All bolts broke free fine and after a bit of cussing I've got them swapped. I didn't do the ones on the outside ends near the wheels though but will in the future. Hopefully it'll go as well as these did! I have not yet driven the car so I don't know if anything I did has helped the clunk but I'm doubting it.

Any ideas as to what might be causing the clunk? during hard cornering the noise is kind of alarming both the driver and to passenger :-) Mike, next time you're out my way give me a shout and I'll let you take it for a spin - I'd love to hear your opinion on this darned noise!

Well.. I had a 280ZX, and now own a 200SX... and both cars made the same "clunk" sound. It bothers me too! I asked the Nissan dealer about it... the guy said "possibly", the rear frame/unibody is twisting or bending slightly, or the mount is shot in the rear end. This would cause the it to sway around a bit, and hit the floor. Personaly, I think it has something to do with the rear suspension... but I cant find anything wrong with my 200sx. (or the 280zx I had) I have yet to loose a part of my car, and it still drives well. I think all you could do is replace EVRYTHING in the rear end of the car... suspension, u-joints, bushings, ect. but that would be expensive and may not fix the problem anyway... I think it's just a little... quirk with Nissans. Dont worry man, you are not alone! smile.gif

------------------

The crazy datsun guy

Replacing the bushings has helped SOME. It actually sounds a little like the binding I used to get with SouthSide bars on my Mustang. I've nto driven it enough yet to be sure it's really helped so we'll see. Very ominous sound!

I had the usual clunk in my Z as well. Even though my front mount looked good and had not been replaced to long ago I tried a new one along with polyurethane "mustach" bar bushings and I am happy to say that the clunk went away.

So, check you mustach bar bushings and the your u-joints.

BTW, I would put that strap back on the front of the rear axle - it's nasty if the mount breaks and the rear axle pops up - it can even yank the driveshaft out of the trans!!! NO driveshaft hoop? Well, have you ever seen a car do the pole vault?

Also, BTW - if you replace the mustach bar bushings I would suggest you check into the JTR driveshaft angle fix because it corrected the minor vibration I had in the car too.

Thanks for the note about the little strap! It's an inverted U looking thing over the nose of the diff - right? I swear I saw nothing like that under there. Hrm, maybe it is time to hit the hardware store for some cable! Will probably not do any more bushings until I swap in an R200. Hope to hit the scrap yards in about two weeks looking....

Until then I'll take it easy - thanks for the warning. T56 will have a strap :-)

Guys,

I have a driveshaft loop pic on my site. When I get a chance, I'll measure up the template I made of it and post it there.

It was fairly simple to make out of flat steel (2" by 1/4").

I also put a urethane bumpstop on the strap above the differential. Another method would be a U-shaped bracket that bolts where the strap mount does, with a urethane bumpstop you could adjust down onto the diff.