HybridZ

Motor Mounts?

Guest levelhead86

If you want the engine as far back and low as possible there are somethings you will need to consider:

- the oil pump will sit directly over the cross member, hight clearance between the pump and the member is only about 10-15mm (you will find the bottom of the bell housing will dictate the height of the engine, idealy you want it flush with the other lowestest points on the chassis). the pipes that run over the crossmember will also have to be relocated.

-a rear sump of some discription has to be used. (im cutting my forward sum up and turning it into a raer sump.

-the oil filter will have to be relocated as it fouls the cross member/mounts.

Guest levelhead86
- the oil pump will sit directly over the cross member' date=' hight clearance between the pump and the member is only about 10-15mm (you will find the bottom of the bell housing will dictate the height of the engine, idealy you want it flush with the other lowestest points on the chassis). the pipes that run over the crossmember will also have to be relocated.

[/quote']

This part confused me a little... can you clarify? I guess the wording threw me off a little... sorry :-<

The ideal height for your engine/gearbox to sit is as low as possible. you will ultimately want the lowest point of the engine/gearbox (ie, the bottom of the bellhousing) to be level with the lowest point of the car (in the 280zx's case it is the frame rails). This will determine the height that the engine sits in the engine bay.

luckely (in my case) i found that at this "ideal" height, the oil pump (which will end up being located directly over the crossmember) will have enough space be albe to fit between the engine and the crossmember.

Although this is the case, the pipes that run across the top of the crossmember will have to moved in order for the oil pump to fit.

Anything els id be happy to help

cheers

Guest levelhead86

Sounds like I should be on my way... let's just hope I don't screw this up too bad. Thanks for all your help though, I should at least get this thing mocked up. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

The 351W mains are 3 inches, the 302 mains are 2.2486 inches, according to my Ford Racing book. The 351 just won't fit a 302. The 94 - 96 F150 and F250, with the 351 came with a rear sump pan. I'm not sure what they started, but it probably back in the 70's or 80's.

Guest levelhead86

I got an 1980 Ford car motor , according to the numbers on the block*it came out of my friend's F-150 but it musta been swapped in cause the truck was an 1985.*, and it's also got a rear sump oil system.

i have a 69 ford van that i put a 351 in 20 some odd years ago and all i rember is that the oil pan was backword from normall on the 302 to mis the cromemberso maby the sump pickup is to just to long ago to rembor

The rear sump oil pans have a extra long pickup tube that reaches to the back of the pan. The oil pump mounts below the distributor. The 351W oil pump is larger or deeper how ever it is, to clear the longer stroke crankshaft.