HybridZ

shifter for 4l60E

Hi all,

Can I use the Z's shifter with the 4L60E trans? I think if I don't do any manual shifting I should be OK. If I do then I can't get to 1st gear. Anyone used aftermarket shifter for their 4L60E trans? If so do you have any pix installed? Thanks

V.

I'm wrestling with the same problem, would like to keep it neat looking. I'm using a 700r4 or a 4L60 without the E. The ZX shifter has the arm on the wrong side, but that can be fixed the JTR manual shows how. The ZX shifter does NOT have switches for neutral start or back up lights this was handled internally by the datsun trans. I looked at Camaro shifters and it looks like it would stick up sort of high. I'm going to look at a Subaru shifter my next trip to the junk yard, they have 4 forward gear positions and all the switches.

Noticed your from Philly, I'm 50 miles north of you, almost neighbors.

Paz,

I have the Vette shifter too and I have not tried to adapt it to the Z yet. BTW my LS1 conversion is going into a Z not a ZX. All the switches are inside my trans. All I have to do is hook up the wire from the brake pedal to the selenoid so that it releases the shifter when you apply the brake.

I will try to see the vette shifter can easily be adapt to the Z first. If it doesn't then I will look for one in the junkyard whenever I go. Thanks for the input.

VRJoe is from Fort Washington and he is not far from you. I came up to his house once in awhile. Maybe we 3 can hook up sometimes at the Expo for some car shows or something. Joe been asking to come out to check it out. Let me know if you interested in meeting.

I used the standard 280ZX shifter, modified the slots to give all 4 forward gears by welding the old slots closed and cutting new slots with a pencil grinder.Added two micro swithes for inhibit and reverse lights.Will take photo's this weekend and place them.

VinhZXT, would like to hook up sometime, and see your projects. Spdsk8r thanks for the pics, shifter looks great, guess I'll go with the camaro shifter and cable, be easy. Already modified wiring for shifter mounted switches and the lock-up clutch in the trans. Thanks again for your input.

I'm running a 700R4 in an 83 ZX using the B&M Camaro/firebird console Megashifter. It looks factory, but there were little annoying asthetic things about it that are just poor engineering/attention to detail. As an example the shift indicator plate rattled; as did the reverse shift "T.".. I fixed both of those minor things and it works great..

Thank you all for the response and the picture from Spdskr8. I played around with the Vette shifter today got it to fit into the Z nicely. There is a small problem that the Vette shifter is raised 3/4" above the mounting plane. This part supposed to be cover by the Vette center console. So in order to cover the raised surrounding part around the shifter I will be fabricating a stainless steel piece to cover it. I will not be using my stock center console.

I also looked at the stock Z shifter and it could easily be modified to work too. But because I won't be using the stock center console so I ditched the stock shifter.

Paz,

If you happen to come to Philly please give me a call. I am not far from center city or the Stadium.

Just as a FYI there's going to be a Custom & Rod show at the Ft. Wash. Expo Center on 3/31, 4/1, and 4/2. Boyd Coddington will be there on Friday 3/31, Don Garlits on Saturday 4/1 and Troy Trepanier on Sunday 4/2. Should be pretty good. I keep trying to talk Vinh into putting one of his cars into the show. His cars deserve the attention.

- Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the compliments. Even my blue Z still need a lot more work to be in any car show lol.

Joe, You know how busy I am on the weekends so I will not promise you anything. I would love to go the custom car shows. That's where I learn tricks that I will use in my Z lol. This weekend I have Jon (another Z guy on this forum) coming over either working on his car or mine. You are welcome to come and join us. Jon is doing a turbo conversion for his earlier Z. This weekend I plan on pulling the LS1 out of the Z to finish up some stuffs. I will call you probably tomorrow or Sat morning. Take care.

Vinh