HybridZ

Compatible Dizzy parts?

TomoHawk

I need a vacuum advance unit to rebuild the distributor in my 78 280Z. MSA doesn't have any, neither does Coutesy Nissan. A substitute would be OK, and so would a compatible distributor. I was told you can use one from a 89-83 ZX with some rewiring.

Did you need a "dashpot" (the diaphram on the side of the dizzy)or the vacum advance plate inside the dizzy?

Cause if you need the dashpot I think you can get one of those from nissan or napa. or you can grab on off any nissan dizzy.

If its the advance plate (with the plastic ball bearing cage) then you have to rebuild that... I did mine. It takes a little "MacGivering" but so far my rebuild is working great. I think there is a post on here about how to rebuild a ZX dizzy and it has pictures too. finding a good dizzy with a working vac advance is almost imposible, the nissan engineers didn't think to hard about working dizzy parts 25 years after they were built.

I hope this helps

Actually, VB has neither.

According to the new catalog, there is only parts for the ZX distributor, and the MT distributor for the 78 280Z. I could buy a whole reman distributor for a 78, but I can't tell if it's for the Auto trans or Manual.

NAPA???

How would anybody know which is the correct one for MY engine? And for the same reason, you can't just get one from "any" Nissan dizzy.

hmm, i bet they still have the part laying around that you need. i can dig through an old catalog and see if i can find it for ya.

i haven't been out there for a couple months now, {haven't needed anything} so i haven't picked up a new catalog from them.

{it's nice living 20 mins away from em}

Here's what I did to rebuild my distributors.

First, I fabbed up some replacement breaker plate bearing keepers (that's what I call them anyway). The originals are thin plastic (upper right corner). I used a rotary tool to make four out of Lexan. It tricky getting all the holes for the bearings and holes so that the breaker plate screws would clear. The stopping pin was a pain since it can't stick up above the surface of the Lexan plate on one side.

100_2916.jpg

There's a Mitsubishi distributor that seems to have been only available for the Euro market that has a superior breaker plate. It has 16 bearings instead of the Hitachi's 3. A much better design. Good luck finding one of these.

100_2914.jpg

Here's a shot of the whole distributor:

zx_dizzy.jpg

Here's a vacuum canister from an early 1980's Camero that I modifed to fit a Mitsubishi 280ZX distributor. The mounting would need to be different for the standard Hitachi distributors normally found on Z-cars.

100_2910.jpg

I bent the plunger to match the one on the ZX distributor. I cut the end off the plunger of the ZX canister and crimped and soft-soldered it to the end of the new one. This canister mounts to the dizzy above. The mount would need to change for the standard Hitachi distributors.

100_2909.jpg

Nice job fixing it. :2thumbs: Gotta wonder if its worth all the hassle though. The ZX distributor only gives 17 degrees advance, so you can lock it down so that it can't move at all and run 18 degrees or so at idle. That gives your low speed advance for gas mileage and has more total advance, which the stock distributor at the stock timing setting is lacking. It just seems like a lot of effort for very little gain. I've just been JB Welding the stator holder piece to the breaker plate instead.

I've just been JB Welding the stator holder piece to the breaker plate instead.

Not sure I understand. By locking everything together aren't you disabling both the mechanical and vacuum advance?

BTW, I don't pretend to understand all the ramifications of mechanical and vacuum advance.

Edit: Ok, obviously you're only talking about locking the breaker plate to disable vacuum advance. Disabling mechanical advance will kill the high end.