HybridZ

Getting bodywork done.

vashonz

I talked to someone today about having him do the rust repair and body work on my 240z. I want to do this myself, but am moving to Guam on saturday so am a little short on time.

What I would have him do is:

-Replace floor pans

-Repair rusted dogleg on driver side

-Repair rusted panel above the taillight

-Smooth the bumper mounts

-Shave the side markers and Antenna hole.

-Repair small rust bubbles

-Install fender flairs (cut and weld stock fenders)

-Strip the paint off the car.

-Paint the car (color and clear)

He looked at the car today and estimated it would be $4500 for all that. Everyone I've talked to says he does REALLY good work, and the cars he does come out nice. He mentioned fender flairs and talked about cutting the outer fender and welding it to the inner fender. So I trust him to do a good job.

What I'm worried about is that it seems like ALOT of money to spend. I was (tenatively) planning on getting the AZC brakes, coilovers, bigger wheels and tires.

Also, what color should I paint it? If you send links to your car (or one that looks good) that would be awesome.

That actually sounds like a fair price for the amount of work you're having done. I would highly recommend having all the glass and trim off the car before paint.

Are you going to have the doorjambs and engine compartment sprayed too? If your door seals are ok, you may want to paint just up to that point. New seals are pricey...

The darker the color, the straighter the body work will have to be, and the more it will show dirt (seems counterintuitive but true). Silver shows the least dirt, but is hardest to color match (fender benders). Just go with your favorite color.

The old military guys won't believe it, but Guam now makes Hawaii look llke a slum. It is the Asian honeymoon hotspot. Check out the Las Vegas type dinner theater with the tigers and the dancers you will never forget. Also go to the hotel where the ocean flows through the lobby and you can swim up to drink at the bar and swim with the fish, etc.

By the way, you don't need a car there it's only 22 miles long and there is other transportation. You can't get parts anyway except airmail for weeks at a time. Watch out for the brown snakes, there are everywhere!!! There is a Z guy there I think.

I really like it here. Nice weather, not too much rain. I have not gone out into tumon yet (thats where all the hotels are)

I still want a car (I bought a bicycle for now) but I doubt I'll bring the Z out, everything rusts WAY too fast.