HybridZ

Viscous LSD swap into early Z

James Thagard (the astronaut's son wink.gif of Zcar.com fame has finally let teh cat out of the bag and told us the parts needed to put together a set of CV halfshafts that will mate the Viscous LSD diff of the SS 300ZX to the 280ZXT companion flange. The info doesn't look entirely complete, but his site is:

http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/

Look for the VLSD note in the lower left of the page.

I just don't know what the reference to a spacer is all about. I don't know if the AMC shaft needs to be shortened either. Pretty inventive swap though. Still uses the smaller 240Z stub axles also.

THAT is one pretty car! Screaming yellow floats my boat and if memory serves he did the paint himself in his garage, very nice job.

I knew that someone was looking for the correct halfshaft and had access to parts books to do the cross checking. Really cool that the problem may have been solved!

However, aren't the VLSDs as rare or rarer than the clutch type? Is there something other than the special edition white car that had them? I'd love to be able to swap in a rear out of a TT car to be honest - there's enough of them around (assume they're LSD) that it would seem to be a good candidate if it could be done. Other than basic mounting how far off is the halfshaft lengths and things like that for the TT rear, anyone know?

• 4 weeks later...