HybridZ

Need Help!! Am I Crazy!! Z W/vette DRIVETrain

Okay here it is, I did the SBC V-8 thing and love the power to weight. I have an idea to make a late model vette (94 or newer) drive train (front and rear) fit in my 240. I need serious help in deciding if this is a crazy idea or if it may work. Has anyone ever done this?? Thanks

Thanks for the responses. Is anyone going for the vette front suspension? I was really hoping to be able to narrow the tracking in the rear at least 3". I wanted to stay away from flares. Has anyone done a vette front to a 240? I found a complete front and rear vette suspension minus wheels of a 88 for $1500, Good/Bad?? Thanks, this is all new to me, Im a long time drag racer that wants to turn and stop LOL!!

I just hosted a Corvette Day at my place last weekend and we had Vettes from 4 generations present. If it were me, I'd not spend $1500 for a front and rear suspension from an 88. YOU can buy the front and rear suspension pieces from the C5 generation brand new for around $1400 for all four upper and lower control arms and uprights. You'd still need the hubs, but I've seen them go cheap on ebay.

Point is I bet you could get NEW C4 (84-96) suspension pieces cheaper than the qoute you got!

Also, shortening up the track that much each side is going to require tubbing the rear. You're looking at some major work to get it done. However, if you can make it work, you'll have a far superior suspension under that car.

My Vette is on the lift right now, as I'm prepping it for a track weekend at Virginia International Raceway's 2.2 mile North Course. Everytime I work on the car, I'm left staring at it and wondering if I should retro-fit it to my Zcar...

Mike

That looks like a whole lot of work to get the GM IRS under there...

Considerably more than an R230/Q45 shaft install.

Is the suspension on the rear of the S30 that bad, or is the transverse leaf dana 36 just that good? I want to understand why you would do all this work.

if your looking for a c4 rear end make sure you either get one out of a maunal car and that the gear is a 3 series or bigger or else the case will not hold a larger gear. and also if you want to go with the dana 36 as aposed to a dana 44 then get the very first year c4 rear end before the introduced the 44 because it uses all the same hardwear as the 44, but they downgraded everything on the 36 once the introduced the option of the 44.

Thanks for all your input, Mikelly where's a good place to buy vette parts? I was planning on tubbing the rear (vette rear with adjustable coil-overs) and vette front with a full cage front to rear.Im hoping this wont turn into another major project like my 55 Chev street/shoot-out car did.......YEAH RIGHT!! Another exercise in obssesion & frustration LOL!! Thanks for all your help guys, It helps to know theres other crazy muthas that are into building their dreams/Nightmares!! Pass the SAW!!

Thanks for all your input, Mikelly where's a good place to buy vette parts? I was planning on tubbing the rear (vette rear with adjustable coil-overs) and vette front with a full cage front to rear.Im hoping this wont turn into another major project like my 55 Chev street/shoot-out car did.......YEAH RIGHT!! Another exercise in obssesion & frustration LOL!! Thanks for all your help guys, It helps to know theres other crazy muthas that are into building their dreams/Nightmares!! Pass the SAW!!

Thats what its all about....:burnout: