HybridZ

How/where should I tap my oil pan

I'm adding a turbo to my 76 780Z and I don't have a turbo oil pan so I will have to tap my pan for the oil return from the intercooler. Any tricks/advice would be helpful. How hard is it to remove the oil pan? Anybody have Pics of where exactly I should tap it? I'm pulling my car out of storage in the next week or two so I can start working on it again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to Hybrid Z but I've had my Z since 1984 (high school).

Thanks!

You mean oil return from the turbo!!!!

Furthermore tap it for an oil temp gauge, even if you do not use it right away.

On your car the oil pan is relatively EASY to remove as you do not have to fight with the rack and pinion on the ZXT cars the motor has to be jacked up several inches to remove the pan.

Here is how I did mine, oil return off turbo on right of pic (it has to be higher than the oil level in the pan):

105646920.jpg

For the oil temp sensor / gauge (has to be IN the oil):

62194108.jpg

62194082.jpg

Yasin

I *think* you mean the oil return for the turbo :)

In such a case you should place it right below the turbo drain, above the oil line. You can find oil drain flanges which let you bolt a oil drain inlet to the side of the pan, try ATP turbo. You still will need to drop the pan to do this. The other alternative is finding or buying a turbo oil pan ready to go.

Not to be an *** but in either case I think you need to do a little more research before you start. Maybe a book on turbocharging, Corky Bell's book is great.

*edit: damn you guys are fast, two replies before i could type mine up!*

It goes up high on the pan (near the pan rail). I did one years ago by punching a 5/8" hole and taping the hole. Punching a hole is better because it will give a lot of surface area for the tap as opposed to drilling a hole in a thin piece of material.

Use the stock location if you what to use the stock turbo drain line.

Thanks everyone... those were some totally quick responses. You were all completely correct I was mixing the turbo and intercooler (stupid, I know).

240Hoke you aren't being an *** by giving good advice. I am researching as we speak. I'll definitely need to check out Corky's book. I jumped the gun and bought the components for the turbo and intercooler from a guy who has supplied me with other parts previously so I trust him (he's from NC too - Fayettesville). I am keeping my eye out for a Turbo Oil pan but I'm also watching the funds.

I am planning a low boost (5-7 psi) set up and keeping my compression where it is for now (10.5:1). Feel free to tell me if you think it's the wrong way to go (I'm still researching :) )