HybridZ

Going with vg30dett

YoungZOwner

I have been going through post after post after post on it. I still have more research to do, but it most verisible for me. I looked in to the rb26, o i want it, but i went to local part stores, one even phoned down to vancover and both of them said, umm what is a skyline? i was like well that is a good sign. I looked into this bc i am making my car daily driver and i can;t afford to be waiting weeks at a time for parts. I am in small town so u know takes a bit. Anyway so i think either l28et or the vg30dett bc both assessable to me, but i like the idea of the twin turbo on the vg30 bc i want to run twin tips out the back of my car and if i had to y the exhaust with the l28et i think i would be hurting it correct?Plus the vg30 runs stock what kinda power i am looking at and with just few upgrades up to 400hp!!, where as i would have to rebuild and built up the l28et and cost just about the same if not more, for that kinda of power. I am very good mechanic and know a really good fabricater, so not really huge conserion for me.So wondering if justified in my thinking I relieze that is has been beatn to death, but wanted your guys oppunition just the same. I am really going back and forth between them any advise

Thanks in advance

What car are you putting this in? If it is a first gen Z, be prepared to do major fabrication to get it in there. i know of 2 vg30dett power first gens and one was converted to single turbo for clearance issues. Not trying to knock the idea, but be prepared to spend lots of money to get it in there.

The DETT will be hard as hell to fit in a 260z, if that's what it is going in.

A Y will not hurt your "performance" enough to notice. At least if you do a decent Y, instead of a perpendicular setup.

Doing the TT setup just because you want twin tips is a little .... insane. I hope you have money.

I would do R26, since it is probably a whole lot lighter. And it's way easier to fit. In fact, You could still do a split TT exhaust on the RB too.

Well you say it's going to cost a lot more to get an l28et to 400hp, but I'm going to have to disagree with you there, unless of course you are doing all the fabrication yourself. I only mention this because you said the L was an option. If you pay for fab work or were to pay yourself for your time, you would see that it is quite easier to make 400hp on an L motor.

Both Shane and 73turbo240 have made 11sec passes with stock block L's now! How much faster are you trying to go? I actually talked to the guys who did the datsunrestore VG30dett S30 and it took over a year to do the swap. Now if the VG had a reasonably priced single turbo manifold, then it wouldn't be that bad. Last I checked though, they were pretty pricey.

Hey Thanks for replys guys,

yes the motor would be going into a s30, 260z to be exact

BlozUp, thanks for the info on y part of the exhaust will play part in decision i am sure. And no i am not thinking of going twin turbo just for the exhaust look, i wanted it right from start. what just be a bonus that would be a true duel so to speak. I should get some pics for u guys on my idea, i think u will like it.

violacleff, thanks for info also, i heard though that the bottom end of the L can only handle 350hp then u have to go to different rods and pistons etc etc? thats what i thought i read anyways. 11secs would definitly be good for me, even though would like to keep up to my dad 500hp lighting but i don;t know, think is pretty fast. Maybe i will look more into the single turbo or even just the vg30 could always add the turbo or turbos after.

Why i was thinking that could go this route is bc seen this,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-NISSAN-300ZX-TT-VG30DETT-FRONT-CLIP-ENGINE-5SPD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46098QQitemZ8048486706QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

plus i heard that this can get some pretty high hp motors without huge upgrades, but just what i read. I was hoping would not cost tons of money to put a turbo motor into my car, not to cheap out or anything either though, What has some of your motors cost to build with some specs. Thanks again for replys guys. I will keep on hunting and researching until i decide

Yes i have thought of it before, haven;t researched into it to much yet, how hard is it to put in the sr20?? was looking at a few on ebay as well to see what they were going for also looked at one vh45 was also an idea. I don't know looked at all of them, what i know for sure is that i want to stay with nissan motors. other then that researching all of them, for performance and install difficulty and money.

Yeh, as already said, tight fit in a S30. I'm in the process of putting a VG30DET engine with Z32 manual gearbox into a S130, just waiting for a couple of parts before doing a trial fit but don't anticipate any significant space issues.

Have seen a VG30DET in a S30 and it was a lot of work due mainly to clearance issues, even though the single turbo is on the left and the car was RHD, would be worse in a LHD car and worse again with a DETT.

yaa that what i keep hearing with the clearance issues. That is what is really slowly my final decision. What actual is the worse part for clearance the turbos right? So would just the vg30de fit in without to much trouble?? Thanks again for info guys and replys

Unless you're doing the work yourself, the RB26DETT swap will probably be cheaper when you include parts & labor. And as someone else suggested, you could run dual exhaust on the 26. Power really isn't that big of a deal w/ the RB, either.

I personally have not attempted the VG30DETT swap into the S30, but I think anyone whose worked on the Z32 will agree w/ me when I say it's not even close to fun. W/ ANY V-configured DOHC motor will cause you (or whoever's working on the car) some SERIOUS grief.

The VG30ET, from what I hear, isn't that bad, but I really don't have any info on that.

Yes i have thought of it before, haven;t researched into it to much yet, how hard is it to put in the sr20?? was looking at a few on ebay as well to see what they were going for also looked at one vh45 was also an idea. I don't know looked at all of them, what i know for sure is that i want to stay with nissan motors. other then that researching all of them, for performance and install difficulty and money.

Putting the SR20 in the Z is easier than installing an sbc. I have done both.

I'm doing a VG30E swap' date=' possibly twin turbo, but at least single turbo.

I should be picking the engine up sometime in the next couple weeks, and I'll be able to see just how close it is.[/quote']

A nice VG30ET would be my Nissan V6 choice in a S30, not near as wide across the heads as the twin cammer and with a bit of work nearly as powerful. A fair bit lighter too, good choice.

A nice VG30ET would be my Nissan V6 choice in a S30, not near as wide across the heads as the twin cammer and with a bit of work nearly as powerful. A fair bit lighter too, good choice.

Thanks. Yes, and from ZR8ed's site, it can be done somewhat easily. He had problems with the stock turbo location, but I don't intend to have a stock turbo "location" :twisted:

Anyway, as I pm'd this thread starter, http://www.blozup.com has the details.

Thank you for all you that took the time to read and post on my question, and after alot of changing my mind back and forth i am going to go with just the vg30de. I decided that i should just pick one and stay with it. This should make for a nice swap and a very one of a kind car up here, only maybe a hand full of these car on the road up here. So nice to have something that stands out. I am hoping and if i work my butt off and have to money that might make it to the Sez show next year with my car. Someone from up here that i know is going down with his, this year. Wish i could make it to see all the beautiful cars. Anyways thanks again and will keep u all updated.

The VG30DE is a very wide motor. The heads on it are huge to accomodate the 4 camshafts. It is wider than the distance between the strut towers in the engine compartment. You will have to do some modifications to the lower strut area just so the motor will slip into place with minimal drama...

It is also a heavy motor, outweighing the original L6 by about 100 lbs...

One other thing about the VG30DE. You must change the timing belt every 60000 miles. If you don't and it breaks, you will have one very expensive boat anchor...

Good luck on whatever you pick...

Mike

Hey yaa i know going to be really tight fit. For the timing belt one bonus is that the front on the engine bay will be open between the motor and rad. so should make it little easier. First update i guess could say, going to pick up a 90 300zx na, tomorrow, $1000 cdn. it had body damage and guy want to get rid of it, but he pulled the motor and computer and put them into dry storage, which is nice. If i can get my camera to upload pics to comp i will post some up for everyone.

Here is a pic of a trial fit of my VG30DET into the RHD 280ZX. Snug but comfortable fit, stock turbo clears the left frame rail by ~20mm. Rails on the ZX are further apart than on the S30.

For those with eagle eyes the front Xmember and PS rack is part of the full S14 suspension transplant.

mypic68.JPG

• 5 weeks later...
Guest john papasergia

I instaaled a vg30de into my 71 not too tough until I decided I wanted it lower and further back than the exieting crossmember would allow---solution ---custom built crossmember and frame rail mods-- might have been easier using non-stock vg30de mounts