HybridZ

Anyone know how Carfax works?

JMortensen

Short story: My wife got rearended on the freeway today in stop and go traffic. She was driving our GMC 1500, and she got hit by a Corolla. Very light hit at ~5 mph, apparently F'ed up the hood of the Corolla pretty good, but only caused a scratch in the chrome on the rear bumper about 1/2" long. :flamedevi Police came and filed a report.

Is my truck now considered to have been in an accident? Will this show on Carfax?

Our shop just aquired a dealer's license so we are trying to figure out how Car Fax works in detail also. I am not sure, but I think the report will end up on CarFax but not as frame or unibody damage which should not hurt you at all. All of the states police departments feed info into their respective DMV's and then the DMV's feed CarFax and AutoCheck. However, there is one thing I am SURE of. Carfax and AutoCheck reports are not worth much because there are millions of accidents where the state police are not called. Some of these accidents are much more serious than yours but the people and the respective insurance companies do not want the police called for obvious reasons. This is especially true, of course, if you both pull out the same insurance carrier ID card at the site. Consequently, all of these accidents go unreported because the insurance agencies consider all of their information proprietary and don't share it with other agencies whether state or not and this includes their DMV's.. The only time you will hear about it is when they total your car when you have a minor accident and remind you that earlier, maybe before you owned it, it has been in a few accidents before; and therefore is not worth much and cheat you out of it's real value. What I am saying is that a clean CarFax or Autocheck report is no good because it does not contain the majority of the available information which is hidden and kept private by the insurance companies. I am sure we will here from some brainwashed claims adjuster here now trying to justify his "they are all liars and cheaters" well-earned paycheck.

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Well I can tell you from years of selling cars at new car dealerships that CARFAX is a big fricking joke.

I have pulled too many "clean" CarFAX reports on cars that obviously have had serious damage and bad bodywork repair.

As to whether or not your accident will be on there or not I guess it just depends on how the reports are filed.

Later,Norm