HybridZ

Nice spark plug trick

Alf

Well for some odd reason my engine wouldn't pull past 4 grand in first gear, it acted like a rev-limiter kicked in. So after trying everything i could possibly think of that may have been causing this, I figured I may as well try that side gapping trick since I'm plum out of ideas. I figured it would help performance a little but i never expected it to cure my rev limiting problem. After i cut all eight plugs and had the engine all back together i was wondering if it was even going to start, but it fired right up and the idle was actually slightly higher than before and the engine pulled a hair more vacuum(about 17" before to 18" after) after I retuned the idle mixture screws. The car pulled harder throughout the RPM range and just felt stronger. I just did this today so i can't really tell if it burns different or if there is any milleage increase, but I will find out sooner or later.

BTW my engine is a 69 307 bored .030 with a set of 882 smogger heads and a performer intake, other than that it is stock. I don't know if my ignition system is just weak or what(pertronix ignitor and stock coil with Taylor wires), but i'm sure the engine has pretty low cylinder pressures due to the big combustion chambers, I don't know if that has anything to do with it.