HybridZ

Early 240Z bumpers on 280Z

cygnusx1

I was going to make a new thread but decided to ask it in this one since it's a similar question.

Are the rear bumper brackets off the 73 the same as the 70-72 brackets? I have a 73 that I'm putting smaller bumpers on and already have the pre-73 front brackets but not sure if I had to purchase rear brackets too. Thanks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those brackets are probably a cleaner install, but for ease, I dissasembled my bumper shocks from my 76 bolted the empty tubes back into place on the car. Using the original mounts on the bumper ( I may have slotted the holes or something), I ran a pc of all thread thru the old shock tube and tightened it up. Worked pretty good and looked stock unless you really crawled under it. I have a 73 bumper so not sure how it would work with the earlier ones.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on my 78' 280z right now.

How in the heck do you drop the fuel tank to get the passenger side rear bumper shock out? I removed the nuts from inside the car, but the mount won't move at all.

I guessed the tank would have to be dropped, but was hoping not.

Any tips on this specific procedure?

Thanks.

Its simple, just remove the straps, if you've got alot of gas in the tank, you may want to support it with a jack first. To drop the tank all the way out, you need to remove the filler neck hose aswell, but if I recall, I was able to get the shock out by just removing the straps and dropping the tank alittle bit.

Its simple, just remove the straps, if you've got alot of gas in the tank, you may want to support it with a jack first. To drop the tank all the way out, you need to remove the filler neck hose aswell, but if I recall, I was able to get the shock out by just removing the straps and dropping the tank alittle bit.

Yup, pull down on the tank with the filler tube disconnected and it will move enough to get out the shock. Careful of the hoses on top of the tank, inspect them whle you can see them!

Yup, pull down on the tank with the filler tube disconnected and it will move enough to get out the shock. Careful of the hoses on top of the tank, inspect them whle you can see them!

Don't forget the fuel lines! I found that the lines that go from the tank to the fuel pump were WAY too short to allow you to access the bumper shock without disconnecting them. And yes I did smell like fuel once the project was over. should have plugged them up with something instead of simply trying to angle them upward haha:icon56:

BTW CygnusX-1 (what, are you an astronomy nerd or what?!), your Z is sweeeeeet, man. I checked out your pix - everybody should check out your pix.

You've got a great lil' Z. Congrats on all the hard work.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, done and done. Thanks for all the info guys. You were all right, pretty straight forward, just a little muscle needed.

For all you newbies like me...

280z_up.jpg

Car jacked up in the back, properly supported by quality jack stands and wheel chocks.

280z_bolts.jpg

Those are the bolts you're after, one bolt per strap, two straps holding the tank up.

We also unscrewed the (4) screws holding the gas filler-tube hose - easily accessible from the gas door lid. Take off gas tank straps (and yes, very helpful to have jack supporting tank), gas tank drops down, (3) bolts to remove from shock mount and you're done. Easy to re-connect filler tube hose back to gas lid area.

Sweet. Thanks again for all the tips, guys.

BTW CygnusX-1 (what, are you an astronomy nerd or what?!), your Z is sweeeeeet, man. I checked out your pix - everybody should check out your pix.

You've got a great lil' Z. Congrats on all the hard work.

Hehe thanks...it's a looooong term project. No, I am not and astronomy nerd...just a closet Rush fan.

CygnusX1 played by some youtuber...

or another youtuber...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzWKu8YE6T4

..well not many can play it like Geddy Lee, the man himself.