Early 240Z bumpers on 280Z

cygnusx1

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest S30DatsunL24

Out of curiosity, the screws on the side that hold the rear bumper onto the fender, can you get to them from inside the trunk, under the interior panels, or do you go from underneath? I tried to get to them from the wheel well but kinda ran into a dead end?

Unfortunately you can't get to those at all. The nuts are captured in the fender itself. I made a small bracket that drops a little below my fiberglass bumper so I could use the stock nuts. Of course you could mount the bumper a little lower to cover the nuts but the 240Z mount still won't line up, you'll either have to make a new bracket or use one of those nut inserts in your fender.

right_side_bracket2.JPG

exhaust15.jpg

Out of curiosity, the screws on the side that hold the rear bumper onto the fender, can you get to them from inside the trunk, under the interior panels, or do you go from underneath? I tried to get to them from the wheel well but kinda ran into a dead end?

• 1 month later...

On the Front Bumper,I used the 77 mounts. I removed the pistons from them and cut about 1.5 inches off the end of the tubes. I welded plates on the ends of the empty piston tubes and drilled holes for the Bumper mount bolts.

On the rear, I removed the whole piston assembly and sealed the hole just as Dave did. I welded my mounts directly to the tow hooks. The Bumper ends, I fabbed some plates and welded them to the bolt bracket inside the ends themselves. I cut a notch on the bottom of the bumper ends so I can tighten the mounting bolt into the existing holes on the 77. If anyone wants pics of this e-mail me, I'll be glad to send them....madolive3@yahoo.com

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

thanks for all the tips guys...used a set of 71 bumpers on my 78 280z. my front bumper is almost done, i built a new lower grille out of the original 78 lower and a spare 240 grille, looks awesome...i installed the rear with the painted "fin" in place, it just fit into place too well for me to want to cut it off...getting at the gas tank filler to drop the rear shocks was definately the worst part, and i still haven't resolved the corner fasteners on the rear, but it's getting there, will repaint grilles and replace the rubber strips before the car rolls out(waiting on radiator and exhaust to finish engine rebuild)...thanks again!

PA310043_thumb.jpg

PA180213_thumb.jpg

Guest Gr8White
i built a new lower grille out of the original 78 lower and a spare 240 grille, looks awesome...

I did the same thing pretty much, but used an early 240 style MSA type 1 ducted airdam/fiberglass bumper and clear 240Z turn signals, using the 240Z grill and robbing parts from my 78 grill to make a grill that filled the entire open area to the top of the airdam. Looks like it came with the car and you would never know it wasn't part of the original car (other than aftermarket air dam). I fabbed up my own brackets, very sturdy. Bumper brackets were a piece of cake too. I have dimensions and a drawing of the fiberglass bumper bracket if anyone would like it.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry, no other pics...

"Does the bumper sit exactly where it's suppose to? Or is it suppose to be where the fin is?"

-since you have to make or modify brackets for the bumpers, there really isn't a set spot for them to go...i found on my car that the location of the bumper didn't change much up or down with the fin gone, but it did draw tighter to the body. with the fin gone it left a row of spot-weld holes very visible, and i pulled the tow-hooks which left those indentions...you could move the bumper up, covering the spot welds, but you'd leave the indentions showing...and something has to be done to keep those spot-welds from turning into rust issues anyway...to make it right there will be body work in one degree or another.

i'd still say go for it, its a fun project that helps the car in a lot of ways, with a little rust-treatment the body work could wait...

in my case i feel its time better spent to fair the whole panel, the cars have very clean lines and the shaved rear(insert your own joke-no pun intended) fits well with the rest of the car.

at what price beauty?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

How much of the rear holes are covered by the 240 bumper? Because if they still need to be filled, you may as well go for a shaved rear look in my opinion...

Ordered a set of fiberglass bumpers from eBay seller "paezfs", who says that his mount up without special brackets (bolts to the stock holes in the sides and under the sugar scoops). He produces them to order. I also came across a post on another forum by someone who claims to know him and says that he is the supplier to MSA.

Does anyone have pics of his fiberglass rear bumper on their car so that I can see how noticeable the holes are and can decide if I need to get them filled or not?

Edited by 8DC