HybridZ

Had some fun today welding, but had a little problem...

CruxGNZ

It was decent weather today, so I finally got around to welding up some Ron Tyler style differential mounts that I had cut out a while back. Since the metal was 1/4" thick, I had to use flux core .035 wire. I had the correct liner installed for the wire I was using, but while I was welding, the wire would stick, then unstick, then stick and unstick, creating crappy welds and a very frustrated Mat. I checked the feeder and it was tight enough. What else could cause the wire to stick like that? Is the liner worn out?

Oh, I have a Lincoln Weld-Pak 100.

3411_p107284.jpeg

3411_p107285.jpeg

Also, it sucks going back to flux core wire from using gas pretty much since I bought this welder. There is so much crap left behind and the welds don't look good enough for me, but well, penetration was good and they work.

Yup, checked the spool, it moves fine and it's right on the edge of letting it unwind into a rats nest. So, no problems there. I checked the tip and it's the right tip for the wire being used. I tried to see what the problem was by just pulling the trigger and watching the spool and feeder, but it wouldn't do it while I was watching it. It would only happen after a few seconds of welding.

Guest 73TPIZ

I'll tell you mine does that after sitting around for awhile due to a little rust forming on the wire. I should bring it in if i'm not gonna use it for awhile but i don't. Mine is a Lincoln 135 non-flux core so don't know if its the same problem as you have.

I'll tell you what i do but try it at your own risk. I'll spray a little WD-40 on the wire spool. The reduced friction at the drive wheel is overcome by the reduced friction along the liner. It may introduce some impurities into the weld, i dunno, but it sure welds a lot better.

Good luck with it.

Oh yeah changing the tip helps too, but the WD-40 is for when i know it's the rust causing the hanging up.

I would double pass that for sure.

One tip I can give you is to keep a tip just for flux core and get a wire drill just slightly oversize and enlarge the tip opening. I'm talking the next drill size up from what slides through easily here.

Much rather do that than the WD-40 bit...

The spools of wire are kept inside. I keep my tools impeccably clean (i'm kind of anal about that). If it was sitting for a while, it probably wouldn't matter. 1/4" is as far as the weld pak-100 can go. It shows on the instructions if I was to go 1/4", I should switch to flux core wire @ .035" with liner and tip. The welds penetrated great (slightly more than halfway through the material), besides the splattering of the flux cored wire (which makes it look like crap). This is the last of 1/4" material that I am welding right now, but I have a few pieces to work with, to see if everything is okay.

Yes, the welds are structural. The forces implied are huge! BUT, I am confident that each diff. mount will serve its purpose.

I will enlarge the tip Brad for any future projects and report back any problems.

Thanks for the help guys.

Even if the welds don't penetrate fully, those things look about 5 times as stong as they need to be. To quote JohnC, there is nothing on a Z car that needs 1/4 plate. And even if they were to break, it would be no more dangerous then driving a Z with a broken front diff mount. It is not like anyone has ever done that before.

All of my welding books say wire has about a 6 month shelf life once opened. Some thing about a micro thin layer of oxide that forms on the wire. Try a new roll of wire. if that doesn't cure it, I'd try a new liner.

Jim, I was just copying what Ron Tyler had made. 1/4" thick material is well, a bit thick, but I know it's not going to fail! :lol:

Wire has a shelf life? Did not know that. I'll have to pick up some new wire then, because this stuff is a couple years old. I bet that's my problem. Thanks.

Guest 73TPIZ
I would double pass that for sure.

One tip I can give you is to keep a tip just for flux core and get a wire drill just slightly oversize and enlarge the tip opening. I'm talking the next drill size up from what slides through easily here.

Much rather do that than the WD-40 bit...

Brad, you may have a vast knowledge of welding and obviously disagree with my methods (Admittedly somewhat bootleg), but somehow i don't feel very enlightened from your three dot response. Now if you could have took the time to add a couple of more dots, i may understand.......

On the plus side you wasted very little bandwith conveying your point.

FWIW,

they do make a pad that you clamp around the wire just before it goes into the drive that you put drops of cleaner/lubricant on. One website mentions putting a couple of drops on at the beginning of each shift, so I'm pretty sure they're talking about industrial/professional apps, because i don't think the average hobbyist works in shifts on their project. Haven't had my welds X-rayed lately for porosity, but if you want to rent one and swing by the house sometime, i'll have a Pepsi ready for you.

here's the lubricant. Doesn't say WD-40 on the label as far as i can tell, so i'm probably way off base.

http://www.welding-direct.com/lubforwelwir.html

I'm sure Dan can afford a little bandwidth if you wanted to type out a paragraph on how much of a freakin' retard i am and how my stuff is gonna fall apart on the highway from the dreaded WD-40 contamination issues.

Later,