HybridZ

Pics of custom TT cage

bjhines

I had most of the tubing bent and I trial fitted it this week...

dashbar1.jpg

The dashbar below will allow me to reinstall the original dash with stock guages and wiring... only the ductwork needs to change.

dashbar1.jpg

I coped the fonrt A-pillar bars into the rockers

Apillarrockertiein.jpg

I also cut into the rear wheel wells to get some extra room behind the seats without too many bends in the hoop.

hoorthroughwheelwell.jpg

The A-pillar roofline looks ok....

Apillarroof.jpg

The top of the hoop fits nicely out of the way...

topofhoop.jpg

I have a lot to add... but this is a good start... I have a TT track event this weekend so I have to get the other 240Z ready... this project will have to sit for another week or 2.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HPDE TIME TRIALS... =TT for me... I figured the TT would pull a few others as well....

The cage is 1.5" .095 DOM... Chris Schimmel aka "Competion Cages" bent the tubes.. Mark Cooper aka "Hubcap Heaven and Wheels" and I are going to cut and notch the straight sections....and weld it up...

The door bars and strut tower to A-pillar bars will be bent and fitted last... I will take it back to Chris next month....

Right now I am trying to figure out how to completely weld it without cutting off the roof.....

We are also making mounting plates for all tube-to-body connections.... This is just a preliminary bend and fitting...

I want to say your main hoop is illegal for SCCA racing. You're allowed 180 degrees with a max of 4 bends. The one picture is at a weird angle, but it looks like the main hoop starts inside the wheel well then curves out towards the side of the car, then I'd imagine it goes back towards the middle.

Also, I think there was a thread a while back where we discussed a similar setup (maybe it was yours ???) and it seems like you lose a lot of side impact protection with the main hoop that far inside the car. So if you were to roll it and the car landed on the driver's side, it would crush you before the cage ever got involved.

It is just a track days car.... and the person who bent the tubes said it would pass tech for what I am doing with it.... and for weight less than 2500lbs.

Chris knows what he is doing... CC is not a fly by night/spring chicken operation.

Here is a front view of the hoop....

rollcagefrontview.jpg

It looks like there is plenty of side protection to me... It will be tied into the floor/differential frame member... Granted the SCCA say they don't want more than 180* in the main hoop... they do make exceptions for cars that need that to fit the cage...my cage will be welded into the wheel wells AND the rear crossemmber frame rail.

well it looks good man you could always just call em an find out? I seriously cant wait to start workin were looking for a place with atleast a carport right now... went to 3 places tonight all crappy... going to the bank tomorow night to see if I qualify for a morgage

• 2 weeks later...

You are going to piss that big lump of a heater off aren't you, they weigh a ton. Thinking about using two 12v hair dryer fans in mine to demist the windscreen, not really daily driver practical but they would keep the car road legal. Plus we don't get snow etc here :)

The heater is so very neccesary in winter.... I have looked into a few options for the heater box... I think I will suffer with the original design...

I have a goal... that is to keep the character of the interior in my hybrid Z car... even though it will have a full cage...

The primary purpose of the cage is to stiffen the chassis... I do not intend for this to pass SCCA tech... this is not a race car.. It is a track toy.. and a fun driver... I have several other 240Z shells that are rusty and would make great race cars when I get the time/money/desire to race wheel to wheel.... The hoop is the only part of the vehicle that is required.. and as far as roolover protection.. it is FAR SUPERIOR to the full cage AUTOPOWER JUNK I have installed in another car... I just laugh everytime I look at that piece of crap... I can't believe that the wheelwell bolt in cages pass SCCA tech.. I think someone at Autopower buttered SCCAs palms to get that crap passed... It does NOTHING to stiffen the car.. and it would simply collapse the wheel wells if you ever rolled over.