Pics of custom TT cage

bjhines

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Raycer

I don't know how far you've gotten with the hoop diagonal, but here's my 2 cents worth.

Remove the lower bar that goes /---- In a side impact, it'll do nothing but bend upwards more. Replace that with an X diagonal (rather than the single / diagonal) and run a straight tube across that intersects with the X diagonals. Tie the doorbars into those same points and you'll have a pretty good design that will compensate some for the inboard hoop mounting points.

And... (jumping on my soapbox) the primary purpose of a Rollbar or cage is to protect the driver while he's having too much fun. Chassis benifits should be secondary. [/soapbox]

ohh... I just realized what you are talking about with the lower /-- bar... That is actually a first attempt at the roof bar.. but I forgot I shoved it back there when I got into the car( it does look like it was bent to fit though it does not reach the corners)..... the lower bar is not part of the design at all..... I made a much prettier roof line bar and tossed that /--- into the scrap bin.....

• 1 month later...

More progress on the cage this week...

Chassis tie in plates... 1/8" custom formed for the rockers

frontrockerplatesfit.jpg

welded in...

frontrockerplate.jpg

rear hoop tie in plates...

rearfloorplate.jpg

rear strut tower boxes... punched and flanged...

strutboxes.jpg

strutboxing.jpg

rear floor frame and fuel cell mount...

rearfloorframe.jpg

rearfloorframeprofile.jpg

rearfloorframedetail.jpg

subframe connectors... 1x3 run from TC buckets to rear diff member... they fit below floor...

connectorfrontview.jpg

connectorreardetail.jpg

I am doing all the welding so far... I am no expert though... My job right now is to prepare the chassis with all of the mounting plates... I have a professional fabricator friend who is going to come over and make all the critical welds and fine fitment on the cage tubing...

I am fitting all the tubes and just tacking them into place... My buddy knows how to knock it down and weld it in sections and push them back into place... He also knows how to get into corners and areas that I cannot reliably weld...

The tricks I am still learning... are how to set up the machine and change my movement to properly weld different thickness sheets together...

The picture of the rear hoop reinforcement plate is nasty... that is the result of a second pass that was not properly cleaned before it was made...

The pieces seem to be bent very nicely. As a welder once said, what makes a good fitter is the one that has to weld it in the end. Fitment and having a clean freshly ground surfaces are the key. Grinding the 1/4 inch from the joint back down the tubes is like having extra amps on the machine, makes alot better weld IMO. Using a scotchbrite in a die grinder works pretty good for me anyway.

Until I got my bender figured out I ended up throwing away alot of bent pipe, but it was still cheaper than buying a cage for the z. When I do the next one I have changes in mind that I will incorporate. It's amazing how much thought has to go into one of those. I think yours looks very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

More cage work accomplished this week....

I have boxed and reinforced the upper rear strut towers for the attachment of the rear supports and the longitudinal brace that extends through the door bars and firewall to the front strut tower.

pic of the 14g plate that will attach to the rear upper tower.. it will allow tubing attachment to the top of the tower and the front of the tower.

leftstrutplate.jpg

fitting the plate...

leftstrutplatefitting.jpg

leftstrutplatefitting2.jpg

welded in place...

leftstrutplateinstalled.jpg

leftstrutplateinstalled2.jpg

Guest ON3GO

what did you use to flare the holes?

where can i get one?

looks very very cool!

very nice work too, i hope to be doing all that soon!

mike

front frame rail plans...

The yellow area under the strut tower is only one thin layer thick... I will add a section there....

the green lines will have 14g steel added.. underside as well... from TC buckets to the sway bar attach points...

the purple lines are traingle gussets for the TC bucket and the frame to tower...

the red line is a tower to sway bar point stiffener...

there are other connections to the towers not shown here.... the outside of the TC buckets will have a connector to the rocker tips as well..

frontframerailstiffening.jpg

I might be doing what you are saying.. draw me a picture and I will try to get one together for you..

There will be a firewall triangle brace.. removable of course...

there is also a tube running from the back of the front tower through the firewall to the A-pillar bar and through the droor X-bar and through the hoop to the front of the rear tower...

I am pretty much ignoring anything aft of the strut towers.... all bracing will be tied into the cage BETWEEN the strut towers...

I realize that this is technically not aft of the towers... but i have several tubes tying the towers inot the cage already.... I did box the tops of the towers

strutboxes.jpg

strutboxing.jpg

this was because I am using this area to tie into the main hoop and cage...

leftstrutplateinstalled.jpg

the B-pillar area that holds the door striker will be gusseted to the main hoop...

doorjambbefore.jpg