HybridZ

Life?

Guest Zed.Yakuza

Guest Zed.Yakuza

Well, I figured i'd post here becasue you guys always seem to have decent advice on life, the universe, and everything. I have just recently been unemployed (let go from a computer repair company, due to lack of business). I filed for unemployment, and now I'm making more than i was actully working? I feel like i did sometihng wrong somewhere along the line. I want to go back to school, find what im good at. I thought it would be computer repair, but i got burned rather badly (my company was making $30 a hour for me being somewhere, i was making $8), also i was never hired in permanat, just a temp. Asking my bosses what i could do to improve myself, they could never answer me. I got one raise at 6 months in, to $.50 a hour. Yet, they couldn't work me enough hours to even support myself (less than 20 a week normally), but expected me to dress well outside my means, and drive a nice car, goto school, etc etc.

I want to work, yet the job choices here are such crap for anyone who doesn't have a certain skillset. Im about to turn 21, i love working on and fixing things. I have very little to my name, and im about to move back in with my dad, thankfully he's going to help me get back on my feet. I guess, what the hell shuold i do with my life? I don't want to be stuck in a retail or factory job for my entire life (all thats around here.) Thanks for any advice, and letting me vent a bit!

In Indiana you can use your unemployment for job training. You could fish through that and see if anything sparks your interest. South Bend is not the only town slowing down right now. If you do enjoy the computer repair, try starting your own buisness. Your overhead is real low, and if a roof is provided already you have noithing to loose but your time.

Have you thought about the military? Granted, right now might not be the best time to join the Army or Marines, but the Air Force and Navy might be viable options. Either one is a good place to pick up valuable skills for use in the civilian job market when you get out. They're not perfect jobs, just like any other they have their share of bull$hit to deal with, but you can't beat the job security and travel.

Mike

Guest BiltWel

I like the start your own business idea if he has the roof provided for him, not that I am against the military it is also a very cool idea free training and free travel plus you get in shape. If I didn't have kids I'd go military in a minute(but I'm an adrenaline junky). The main thing is you have to have 1.food(no problem if your at home with your parents)2. shelter(again no prob)3. electricity (so your tools will work, lol,but again no prob) take a risk would be my advice you are in a great place to hit the restart button and take your life anywhere you want to go with it

!!BE BRAVE!! !!NO FEAR!!

Guest BiltWel

Just a follow up. I started and failed at three different busnesses(probley cause I can't spell like you)and filed for chapter 7 bankrupcy twice before I was 30.NowI have 1 very successfull business and another thats making a decent profit (trying to add an internet sales co. in the mix now)and I also run a paper route for xtra spending cash. All while raising 3 kids and putting my wife through college and building a couple cars. You don't have to conform to what society tells you to do you CAN do anything you really want to do if you really want it.

Well' date=' I figured i'd post here becasue you guys always seem to have decent advice on life, the universe, and everything. I have just recently been unemployed (let go from a computer repair company, due to lack of business). I filed for unemployment, and now I'm making more than i was actully working? I feel like i did sometihng wrong somewhere along the line. I want to go back to school, find what im good at. I thought it would be computer repair, but i got burned rather badly (my company was making $30 a hour for me being somewhere, i was making $8), also i was never hired in permanat, just a temp. Asking my bosses what i could do to improve myself, they could never answer me. I got one raise at 6 months in, to $.50 a hour. Yet, they couldn't work me enough hours to even support myself (less than 20 a week normally), but expected me to dress well outside my means, and drive a nice car, goto school, etc etc.

I want to work, yet the job choices here are such crap for anyone who doesn't have a certain skillset. Im about to turn 21, i love working on and fixing things. I have very little to my name, and im about to move back in with my dad, thankfully he's going to help me get back on my feet. I guess, what the hell shuold i do with my life? I don't want to be stuck in a retail or factory job for my entire life (all thats around here.) Thanks for any advice, and letting me vent a bit![/quote']

Do not fret young man, what you are experiencing is just part of growing up. The good part is that you are young and realize that you need to do something.....most people never figure that out at your age. All I will add is...do something you really like to do and don't expect to much early on. Presistance is one key to success as well as living long enough to become successful. With most everything now days being supported by computers, you should be able to find or create a job you can put your heart into.

An on site computer-repair business would be a nice thing to try if you can fit it in, while going to school. Around here the on-site rate is $70-130+. It will keep you until you find what you like. Retail computer repair sucks, I know that's what I do know.

BTW, if anyone know good corp. IT postions open I'm looking :)

Try welding school...I know several IT guys that have come in to learn welding after geting burned out on computer stuff. A typical welding job with a year of experience is around $10-$15 an hour. If you go to school for two years you can start from $13-$25 an hour depending on what you are doing

If you have people skills, an idea, start a business. Form an LLC or an S-Corp to protect yourself and do whatever you like to do. People love good service. If you can provide good service with ANYTHING, the business will grow. It's not really that simple but two years ago, I was laid off for a year, and started a business from nothing. I was selling ONE motorcycle part online. People liked it so much that they told their friends and so-on and so-on...it grew rapidly.

I made enough money and the business grew alot in two years. It became alot of work when I got another full time job, and I had to decide weather to continue it or sell it. I sold it to my brother and he is doing very well with it. Now mind you I wasn't struggling because my wife was working too and we could still keep the roof and the cars. We made several financial cutbacks to keep it real.

Good luck. Follow your heart.

If you are GOOD at something, do that, my friend. If you have a keen interest in something, pursue that. If you don't know what you want, drink a beer.

Anyway, figuring out what you want is sometimes the most difficult thing to do. You can go back to school, get a degree, and then go look for work. Or you can start a business. If you go back to living with your dad, you could put an internet ad out and be a computer repair contractor, making say $30/hr. Who were your former employer's clients? Tell them you'll do the same work for $25/hr. Think about it.

Davy

Well if you like fixing things, you could become a certified auto mechanic. Here in California for example, a graduate of a automaker sponsored program from a two year community college will start at around $18 hour, plus benefits. And the auto dealerships are screaming for them! But like any entry level position, you'll have to work your way up.

Mark

Education is the key to everything, it's something that can't be taken away from you. 21, your a pup, don't worry, move in with dad, that's what dad's are for. Get it together, make it happen, he'll be proud and you'll be glad you spent some extra time with him.

You should seriously consider the military route. Its a lot of fun (although I was an officer and pilot), but still, even enlisting, its very rewarding and you will learn a skill set. Its only 2-4 years of your life if you don't like it. You will meet new people from all over the country, travel the world, learn a trade and overall enrichen your life.

If you do start your own business, like cygnus said, provide good service. With the airline pay cuts (50% in a year), I turned my powdercoating hobby into a business. 1 main product, corvette brakes, and am now doing 5-10 sets per week, all because of attention to detail and great customer service.

I would think omputer repair would be a good area, but a lot of companies are going in-house with the whole IT department thing. How about doing something like this for side money or to help fund school.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MegaSquirt-2-Fuel-Injection-and-Ignition-Controller_W0QQitemZ8053374681QQcategoryZ33553QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I agree w/ Davy, you have to pursue what you enjoy. If you can't figure that out right now, do what your good at. BTW there is nothing wrong w/ a factory job. Factories are usually owned by BIG BUSINESSES! IF you are smart, and can show improvments in your job, what ever it is, you can move through position to position untill you get an oportunity to find a job in that company that sounds fun. Some big companies will even pay for your tuition! This is basically what I did and now I am doing something SO FAR REMOVED from being a machinist that it's weird to think about. (Nothing wrong w/ being a machinist BTW, it got me everything I've got!)

Big business gave me a job out of tech school, put me through college and now pay's me pretty decently for learning everyday at work :). I feel lucky but w/ hard work and a little luck, you too can be happy!

Good luck!

Business isn’t for everyone. Depending on one’s personality, starting one’s own business could turn into an unmitigated disaster. And it’s especially hard to become a budding capitalist if you’re just 21. My recommendation would be to enroll at the local community college, either in Arts and Sciences (if you wish to transfer to a 4-year college into an academic program, such as Engineering), or in a technical trade. With a suitable degree, the job prospects should hopefully become better.

My wife found herself without a career, despite her educational background. So now she’s a part-time student at the local community college, and a part-time waitress at a local chain restaurant. She had to suffer the particular ignominy of transferring credits from her Master’s degree to her community college – and “starting over†in her 30’s.

The Midwest in general is declining. Offshoring, globalization, whatever – they’re hurting the Midwest especially acutely, as this region is beholden to traditional manufacturing for its economic mainstay. And if that’s weren’t enough, retiring baby boomers are moving south and west, the tax base is shrinking, and liabilities are rising. So it stands to reason that the job market would be tight.

Two things come to mind here...

In the instance you mention where your employer is paying you $8 and making $30 an hour, that is the norm and you should understand that everywhere you work for someone else, they are making money off your ability to work in their position. If you don't like that scenario (Which is truly part of life) then you certainly should think about becoming your own boss...

To be your own boss, and not get into trouble with the IRS or the state, you really need a couple of key people in your life. They don't come cheap, and are factored into your employers $30 cost, and why he can only pay you $8 an hour.

CPA or bookkeeping firms are expensive, but worth every penny they charge. They keep the IRS and your state happy, and they also make sure you claim everything you're in titled to when writting off expenses for businesses.

A good business attorney will help you understand any contract or paperwork you sign, with regards to the business world and your liability within it. We have an attorney look at every piece of paperwork we get that causes a question we can't answer.

A banker who will loan to small business start-ups is invaluable. We were fortunate in that there was a VP of a local bank that wanted to help government contracting firms. We pay him a reasonable percentage of our employee invoicing and he pays our monthly payroll in advance. We'll never have an employee "Not" get paid.

These are all things to think about when venturing into the self employed arena. These are also services that continue to cost us every month, and drive up our overhead costs. Our employee services to a government contract can be on the order of $200,0000 - $250,000 per year per employee. We certainly don't pay them that. By the time we pay for all their benefits (http://www.bka2005.com to see our benefits we pay out of pocket for), Pay for our accounting services/ payroll/bookkeeping, legal fees, banking fees, and other associated business costs, we're left with about 20% pure black profit. What that means is we have money left over to reinvest in the business and to pay employee raises annually, bonuses, training/travel, and other expenses.

We expect that as we grow, that percentage will reduce a bit. We don't have office space at the moment, and we don't have a lot of additional overhead charges to operate. But we will as we grow.

So when you start chewing on the fact that your boss is billing you at $30 and paying you $8, remember, He's paying payroll taxes, and whatever else it costs to be his business, and those hidden costs are the reason he's probably not living a Donald Trump Lifestyle.

So, what do you do with your life?

There are grants, student loan programs, and other sorts of financial assistance out there to help you get a skill that will help you get a career and a job. Also, the military isn't a bad choice.

However, As Michael points out regularly, being in the middle part of the country isn't going to help you benefit at finding good work unless you get lucky or develop some very unique skills. Find out what you want to do, and what you are truly interested in and get education/training in that field. Then find a part of the country where that skill is needed. Then move. For everyone who complains about their economic situation and doesn't do anything about it, I think back to Sam Kinesin's rant about Ethiopians starving to death in the wasteland of their country. Simple answer is to find a place where prosperity reins and move to that location. It won't be easy, and it won't be cheap living at first, but 11 million migrant workers seem to make it work just fine. I bet you can too! :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

Mike is right on about the pay scale. I have my own small mail order biz and I net about 10-15% of the total sales, and I don't even have a brick and mortar store! So your previous employer was actually being pretty generous giving you 27% of the profit on your computer repair job.

About your location, I can't speak to IN because I've never been there, but there is also a reason to move AWAY from the more populated areas. My wife and I could buy a house here in Seattle, but we'd have to live out on the outskirts of town and her commute would be 3 or 4 times longer than it is where we rent, and we'd probably be in a crappy little house. Crime is high here, and we pay $500/yr for car registration. Sales tax is 9%, gas is expensive, etc. We really wanted to move back to CA, but the home we owned there 5 years ago is now WAY out of our price range, and we don't want to buy in a gang infested neighborhood that we can afford. For that reason we've been looking all over the country at possible places to relocate.

I certainly wouldn't move to a depressed area, but there's plenty of small town places across the country that aren't depressed, and moving to the big city just reduces your buying power. For example, if you make $8/hr I certainly rather do that in Indiana than in NYC. In NYC you'd be extra screwed with that kind of money coming in. Compare rent in Indiana vs NYC and take a look at the cost of living indices for both and you'll see what I mean.

If you look on the internet you can find all kinds of statistics about this kind of thing. We just visited Boise, ID. Unemployment under 4%, cost of living is less than the national average, crime is low, etc. Not commited to moving there after visiting, but visiting was worthwhile and it is still on the short list.

If you do decide to move, check sites like these:

http://www.city-data.com/

http://www.findyourspot.com/

http://www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/salcalc.html

OK, here is the free advice that usually costs $125/hour.

If you start a computer repair business, do it on the side. You are young. It is OK for you to work 60 hours a week if you are getting paid enough. Unless you want to put all of your eggs in one basket, just start a business on the side. You can still advertise the business and do it professionally. If you are professional and capable, your initial clients will refer more business your way.

Education is the KEY. I think everyone on this site will agree that education is the key. Get an education. That could mean going into the military and learning skills that you don't have. That could mean going to work for a welding company for 2 years at $7/hour an learning everything you can. That could mean going back to school and getting an education either as an ASE certified mechanic or a doctor. Any way you cut it, in order to make $$$ you have to have skills that are marketable.

As for the military, there are a lot of opportunities. If you get the opportunity to fly in one of the branches of service, you can often parlay that into a commercial aviation career. Many people work as civilian employees here near Crane Naval base. A lot of them have military backgrounds. If you do decide to go into the military, remember to shop the best signing bonus you can find for the branch that you would like to join. Some are $15,000 or more just as a bonus.