HybridZ

I've 2 questions...

I have a '78 280Z with the original six still in. I'm familiar with all the sixes, and truthfully, I'm also familiar with sbc's because I previously owned a '89 camaro w/ a sb v8. However, I'm not so familiar with the whole v8z swap thing, and I probablly wouldn't be on here today if I hadn't recently aquired a 305 short block. So I ask you guys, has there been anyone that has done a 305 swap? Now I know that the 305 doesn't have that much potential as far as sbc's go, but I was thinking about making it into either a 302 or 307 like the old base model camaros in the 60's or like the race cars in the old trans am series. Has it been done? Was it successful? And was it worth it? I Also would like to know if there has been any successful LS1 swaps because that really gets me worked up thinking of that... it would be great. Thanks guys!

Welcome to this message board, Hashi. I'm going to say this now, and as nice as possible. You need to do a search for your information before asking a question as general and broad as this one. There are a couple of posts at the top of the menu that go over rules and should be read before posting any messages. I'm sure you will find most of your answers with a little time in the search menu. Hope this helps you out.

Hi Hashi,

I'm sure plenty of people have done a 305 swap. Externally, the 305 is the same as any other small block, so the install procedure shouldn't be any different.

However, you can't really make a 305 into an old 302. The 305 uses a long stroke and relatively small bore. The old 302 used a big bore and short stroke. However, you can still make a 305 work well enough with some better cylinder heads than from the factory.

Use the "search" function. Lots of info on the site about all small blocks, including LS1 swaps.

305s dont have the correct bore to be a 302, a 302s bore is 4.00 where a 305 is somthing like 3.900 or maby even smaller. having the same cubes doesnt make it the same motor, but the 305 has plenty of potential for bolt-ons, it just depends on how far your willing to take it, i know it would be alot better on gas then other smallblocks.