HybridZ

Electronic Ignition Question

In the Z, i have noticed there is an aftermarket ignition setup. That is NOT hooked up, its mounted and everything, but the wires lead to nowhere, and there are no connections with the same plugs, as if nobody ever hooked it up.

First question. Why would the guy not have hooked it up? Didn't feel like doing the wiring? PITA to convert to electronic ignition?

And how would I go about hooking it up, and I'm not asking about "does this wire go here?" I'm asking if I have to actually take out the points and everything? Or can I just leave that in there-I believe the points are a big source of my cars running problems.

I have searched, and the only threads I've found have had to do with MSD Electronic Ignition, and this is not an MSD, I have no idea what kind it is, but its not MSD.

Maybe he hooked it up and then it broke, so he disconnected it.

ZX distributors are the way to go IMHO. Search and there's lots of info. Two wire hookup. Good mechanical advance curve. Available cheap. GM HEI or Chrysler module works if the Nissan module should die. The only issue is the vacuum advance is known to be weak. Disable it and run more static advance. That's my advice anyway.

...snip...

I have searched' date=' and the only threads I've found have had to do with MSD Electronic Ignition, and this is not an MSD, I have no idea what kind it is, but its not MSD.[/quote']

My car was like that when I first bought it. That thing was giving me such a headache that I ended up ripping the control module off the fender and chucking it across my yard. JMortensen was kind enough to rebuild the ZX dizzy I had, and I am up and running smooth as silk!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

http://www.cranecams.com/pdf/90002000a.pdf

It was the first link google provided when searching on XR700.

I would seriously look at a ZX distributor. I spent 100 bux buying a refurb unit from RockAuto and that came with a module. I have been running a ZX distributor on my 72 for 12 years now and it's been a rock solid system and revs just fine. In my opinion it's the best option for our Z's, aside from the coil on plug setups. The only downside is having to replace your tach.

Skater,

I had to replace the tach in my 72, but you should be fine with your 78. The tach's are different. My apologies for not being clear on this. I like the ZX style because it's self contained. Performance wise I cannot compare it to the XR700 as I have no experience with them.

Good luck with it.

• 1 month later...
Maybe he hooked it up and then it broke, so he disconnected it.

ZX distributors are the way to go IMHO. Search and there's lots of info. Two wire hookup. Good mechanical advance curve. Available cheap. GM HEI or Chrysler module works if the Nissan module should die. The only issue is the vacuum advance is known to be weak. Disable it and run more static advance. That's my advice anyway.

Will the GM module work on a stock '83 na zx. I tried it and it didn't start. I checked the wiring per the ink:

http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/a.../tech_hei.html

Any ideas on what I did wrong.