HybridZ

here we go again...rolling paint

OlderThanMe

for some reason it looks orange but it is actually very red. I probably just need to change the settings on my camera

Red is by far the most difficult colour to photography correctly. That and digital camera white balance is a tricky subject regardless of colour and will influence your reds a great deal as well.

But... I really like the paint! Keep us posted with pictures.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah it is red, cheap flourescent lighting, and my garage is packed with all those cheap tools...

notice the green toolbox screwed into the wall...lol that was not my idea.

but I am the one that goes to Harbor Freight and Northern to buy cheap tools.

I have a lot of pictures on my worklog over in the miscellanious (that is spelled wrong) tech board.

what is the best way to polish my stock aluminum intake and round tops?

I don't recommend it. j/k

I polished my intake, and I have got to say that it was one of the most pain in the butt things that I have ever done. I sat there for days just sanding and smoothing. I started with 80 grit cloth and made my way down to 320 grit. After that I then attached a buffing wheel to my drill and just used some polishing rouge.

It was such a pain that I didn't even attempt the bottom of the manifold. It still looks like hell still, but it does look a whole lot nicer. I think that next time I might powder coat instead.

P.S. The car looks great.

Guest iskone

Have you thought about adding a pin stripe to seperate the black and red? Or something like those pics that ON3GO (I think) did of the silver and black car with a fat orange stripe?

I think a silver line would look G-Fresh homie.

Isk

ok I have a few more question before i try it on my primered fender this weekend...

You said you used mineral spirits, but today I went to lowe's to find the "high performance enamel" rustoleum, and on the back it said to use it straight, but if spraying, thin with acetone.

Obviously you are not spraying, yet you are thining it. Could you please explain this?

next u thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker.

I thin it until it feels just thicker than water..I mix it with a flat blade screwdriver and watch the drips off the end from when it goes from a stream to drips...sort of like liquid benadryl...

the thinning allows it to dry in a reasonable amount of time and flatten out quicker...

just try it in a small piece of scrap metal. I just figured that my banged up fenders are not worth scrap that they would work. you need to experiment with it depending on humidity and elevation from sea level...not going to be the same for everyone.

I painted my fender! I will take pictures tomorrow in the daylight... and I suppose I should start my own thread for it. Looks almost like the surface of the picture at the beginning of this post with the haynes manual, except a little bumpier. I'm thinking I need to thin the paint out some and use a lighter coat.

• 4 months later...

Well I am dragging this back up from the dead...I am doing the last part of my rustoleum project before I leave and graduate from rustoleum university...

I was hosing all the pine sap and bird bombs off my car before I pushed the car into the garage for the winter and I was thinking...I'll just pull out a little piece of 400 grit paper and then I'll use a little aluminium polish. So I started sanding away at the roof and it was getting really smooth. I had not really done any decent wet sanding to this rustoleum yet so I just wanted to see how much shine I could get out of it. well here it is...

this is what it looked like for the last couple of months.

m50524098.jpg

and then...BAM!

b50524279.jpg

and since I decided that I never really liked the bright red I would take some of my red and black rustoleum and mix them. It will be a maroon(sp?) color. I know it looks chocolate but rustoleum seems to get lighter when it dries out.

m50524670.jpg

And another shot comparing the red to the darker red.

m50524493.jpg

haha.. about 10 minutes with some 400 grit and then straight to aluminium polish. I am too lazy and poor to go out and buy another kind of polish for paint.

It doesn't matter how pretty it is when it goes on but as long as you get even coverage this stuff is a breeze to wet-sand as long as you have a constant water supply (garden hose). I had another area that only had 4 thin layers of paint and I sanded right through it with 400. Just get it on there thick so that after the second coat you don't see any of the under color.

synlubes: do it in black...even better. just a little harder to wetsand than the red but not bad. This paint looks good from 2 feet away...don't get closer than that...