HybridZ

VG33E ECU questions

Guest Fulcrum

Guest Fulcrum

Please excuse my ignorance as Nissan stuff is all relatively new to me. Honda, VAG, and 240SX's make up the bulk of my experience.

My current plan is to swap a supercharged VG33E(Frontier/Xterra engine correct?) into a 280ZX chassis.

Can i use a chipped Z32 ECU w/ Zcontrol to control the VG33E?

Which supercharger somes on those engines M62 or M90?

Before anyone jumps on me I know that a turbocharged motor will ultimately have more power. I want the instant response of a supercharger. This is gonna be a fun weekend streetcar/trackday sort of project. I'm shooting for about 380 peak horses and a wide powerband.

I'm gonna have Endyne port and mod the supercharger and port the heads. If I need to I'll have them design a set of pistons to go with their headwork.

TIA,

Nate

Guest jbbatten21

I would think twice before using that engine. My father is an engineer at Nissan and when I asked him why the supercharged engines made so little power he said they had to detune them considerably to keep the lower end in tact. I have personally never driven a Supercharged Xterra, but the N/A Xterras with the 3.3 are quite slow. I think you would be better off building a custom centrifugal supercharger kit for the L28 than going with the 3.3 Just my opinion

no. the VG33/30E® and the VG30DE(TT) motors are completely different. the DE's use coil on plug and have a variable intake cam, as well as a bunch of other things that are completely different from the E motors.

I would talk to a member here named Bernard. he has been re-mapping Z31 ECUs for quite some time now. bigger, injectors, fdifferent fuel curve, different ignition curve, whatever you want. talk to him.

The 89-91 SE and 89-94 GXE Maxima ECU's can be hooked up to a Zemulator and modified from what I'm told. Another option is the romulator for the chipped ecu's.

Just as fyi, its a pretty common misconception that turbo setups produce no low end power. I know a guy with a turbo Maxima (VG30E) making nearly 350 ft. lb. of torque to the wheels at 2800 rpm and around 250 whp on a very bad tune (extremely rich).

That was before some good head work and with a somewhat inefficient turbo (toyota ct26). with something slightly larger with a ball bearing setup it would spool just as quick and give even more low end power and best yet, hold that power till redline. roots superchargers tend to not hold power all the way to redline like a centrifugal setup can but most importantly... that M62 supercharger on the VG33 are way too small. If you absolutely want to go with a supercharger route I'd get a M90 at the very minimum.

The best supercharger setup would be a screws supercharger as they are much more efficient than a roots yet still have the instant response. The only downside is they are quite expensive since they aren't as abundant as the M90's found on the Grand Prix GTP and such due to not being used in factory applications as often like the roots.

Just some ideas.

I trust Eaton parts as much as I trust the spray from a garden hose to stop a mack truck. Stay far away. If your not convienced, I can show you pictures of the mostrocities my co-workers sent out as good parts at the Eaton plant I worked in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I believe the lower HP rating is due to the SOHC head design. If you're planing on using a vg33e and getting headwork done... I'd consider modifying a vg30de's heads to go on the block. You'll need to re-shape a water passage or two to get things to line up right. The main difference in the 33 and 30 is that the bore is increased. It uses the same crank, with a different snout.

• 1 month later...

DE heads will not fit on the E blocks. the head-bolt pattern is different for a starter... fix that.

vg33 is IDENTICAL to the vg30, minus the bore size, and the crank snout.

with a turbo, it'll rip the wheels loose all day long.

the engine i have is a 12v,,,2 cams per cylindees..lol..if fabricate a turbo system of ma own ,,carb or fuel injection,,can i eaily make a 500hp of it,:redface: ,? or is it a stupid project,,? the main reason why im using this engine becasue i managed a tbi intake style,,made by my friend,,using the old intake it self,,so its more like A small block but v6,,lol get it..?..another reasone is that our local dealer still provide everything for this engine (stock replacment parts:icon15: :icon14: ),,so i duno,,any opinion,,?:confused:

DE heads will not fit on the E blocks. the head-bolt pattern is different for a starter... fix that.

vg33 is IDENTICAL to the vg30' date=' minus the bore size, and the crank snout.

with a turbo, it'll rip the wheels loose all day long.[/quote']

You are right, it turns out I was mistakenly reading about vg33e vs vg30e heads, not vg30de. After I realised my mistake, I had forgotten where I made this post.

I have since done some more investigation on what modifications would be necessary for the swap. Not only are the water passages not lineing up, but oil passages as well. They were moved around to accomodate the larger bore on the vg33. I'm still trying to get ahold of some headgaskets to findout exactly how they would need to be reshaped to line up.

As far as the head bolt pattern, I think that would just be a matter of filling in the old holes on the head, and re-drilling?