ebc pads for 4x4

his choices are, according to the EBC book:

84-89 4 cyl

90-91 4

92-95 4

95-2000 4

88-91 6 cyl

92-96 6

I know that I have 89s on my vented setup, and they are a different pad from what he listed. The ones he listed are for the 84-89 4 cyl.

crap neither does hawk, so that kills my options really quick down to zero

I got pads made for my 4X4 front calipers (vented) as well as pads for my Maxima rear calipers from Porterfield. All they need to know is the shape of the backing plate and what compound you want. They can help you figure the backing plate stuff out, too. And don't be afraid of "custom made". It really didn't cost that much over regular off the shelf stuff.

From what I have read on this board, Carbotech can do this kind of work for you as well.

I got to thinking about this some more and getting the pads you want may be easier than I thought. Porterfield lists a pad for 240z's with Toyota 4X4 calipers as p/n AP-137 for $68.00. This is for a hi-perf street/autox pad which, according to them, is NOT suitable for track days. They have those too, but they are more money. Check out http://www.livermoreperformance.com as one source or call Porterfield for a dealer closer to you.

I got to thinking about this some more and getting the pads you want may be easier than I thought. Porterfield lists a pad for 240z's with Toyota 4X4 calipers as p/n AP-137 for $68.00. This is for a hi-perf street/autox pad which, according to them, is NOT suitable for track days. They have those too, but they are more money. Check out www.livermoreperformance.com[/url'] as one source or call Porterfield for a dealer closer to you.

Sounds like the R4S pad. DEFINITELY not suitable for track days. Good street pad, but I delaminated the pad during a track day with stock calipers:

R4S.jpg

As you can see, there isn't even any more pad in the little holes anymore. It was GONE. Was momentarily terrifying until I realized that the dirt off the side of the track wasn't very bumpy as I went into it at probably 95 mph. :shock:

Sounds like the R4S pad.

Yes it is. I should have included that in my post.

As you can see, there isn't even any more pad in the little holes anymore. It was GONE. Was momentarily terrifying until I realized that the dirt off the side of the track wasn't very bumpy as I went into it at probably 95 mph. :shock:

That photo should be a sticky all by itself IMO. A good object lesson in the importance of matching pad material to the heat range generated by a particular braking system.

Jon, out of curiosity, how many laps/sessions did those pads last before you went farming?

That was the 3rd 20 minute session I think. The pads weren't new, but they probably only had 5000 miles and maybe an autox or two on them. I'd say they had at least 85 or 90% on them when I left the house. I am running slicks which should enable me to put A LOT more heat into the brakes, but I was also trying to conserve the brakes, so how this relates to street or DOT tires is anyone's guess.

I just saw this thread. The last brake job i did to my bimmer, I replaced the factory pads with EBC green stuff's. All i can say is that I am throughly disspointed, there is NOTHING good about these pads other then the price. I never exprienced brake fad on my stock pads, switching too EBC pads I have to be carefull while driving now, I will cook the pads jsut with spirited coutry drives, and dont even think about hauling it all the way down from 100mph, they are toast by hte time you get to 60! Oh and the DUSTING, low brake dust my ***. These pads have hte same grab as a cold race pad - cept when these heat up they turn to glazed POS's

EBC = CRAP