HybridZ

Blew up the intake, Help? (Kinda LONG)

Quote:sk8terkid

""Now would that mean that anybody on a cold morning trying to start there car with a little starter fluid because there car doesn't wanna start, is in danger of being harmed, and that there motor may blow up just because the engine was meant to run on gasoline, not ether?""

This is like watching a bunch of monkeys with a hand grenade..

Yes... it is dangerous to use ether to start your car... It will void the warranty on a new car... Ether was used in the days of the dinosaurs to start extremely low compression motors with magnetos on cold days...(the term MAGNETO is key to the need for ether)... and Diesel engines....

Ether.. and frigging brake cleaner are inappropriate in a fuel injected car period... There are soo many things that can be screwed up that way.. you don't know enough to understand. How's that AFM.. or your idle air valve.. and your bent throttle plate.... better check the EGR valve and it's control servo...brake booster and check valve??? i'll bet you popped a few vac hoses as well... you can even unseat the valve spring keepers and toss the rocker arms off their pivots... ... don't take my word for it.. go pull the pin on that grende...

and your thread title says you blew up your intake with the stuff... I would consider that detrimental to the test subject(your car>>not YOU!!)

This is like watching a bunch of monkeys with a hand grenade..

Ether was used in the days of the dinosaurs to start extremely low compression motors with magnetos on cold days

......you don't know enough to understand. don't take my word for it.. go pull the pin on that grende...

Wow, that was quite an ignorant statement. And btw my motor is pretty old, its from the 70's, it is a dinosaur, its not new, and it won't void my warranty because of the lack of one. Now, what I stated as BLOWING UP THE INTAKE-wasn't actually blowing up, more of a popping off, there was no external flames or fire whatsoever, more of a noise, the same kind of noise you get when you blow a tire out. And mind you, these are the same stock dryrotted rubber hoses that you may have on your car-its not like I POPPED a quality piece that was perfect in everyway. I POPPED an old piece that would have rotted away anyway.

And this thread was not started to hear how stupid I am, if I wanted to hear that I would have said Hey, I wanna RACE my STOCK Honda, how much NOS can I put on the stock motor with 250,000 miles. I screwed up and understand, but this was supposed to be a help thread not a hahahha your stupid thread. Please do not comment unless your have some helpful knowledge instead of pointless coments.

The gas tank was drained and ran with new gas, it ran kinda crappy a couple weeks ago, and all the bad gas was pushed from the lines, my new thought is that I may have a collapsed or clogged line. The pump is the last thing I hope it is. I'm about to go check the lines and hopefully find something rong with them.

I agree that I shouldn't prioratize to find what I hope is rong. I am doing it in order, just reverse. I started to see if I had fuel pressure atop the engine-no, so I checked the lines, nothing. And I was gonna go and see if I had pressure after the pump today, but ran out of light after work, so I didn't get a chance. I'm doing it mythotically, starting from the top and working to the bottom. And so far everything points to the pump, because I have gas before it, but not up at the engine compartment. Which means theres quite a bit of room for an error. I was just stating that I hope its not the pump, and that there is a very slight possiblity that there is a clogged or collapsed line.

Heres some tips

-If it is the fuel pump dont throw it away it might be possible that some parts have gotten locked up, Hard to explain but i read about there being a sort of part that can spin if this wont spin on its own its jammed unjam it.

-if your pump is totally gone still dont throw it away give it to autozone they can give you a discount if you buy a new one and bring in the old one this works with a few z stores

-its a good idea to replace the fuel filter along with the pump

But anyways this reminds me of a time we used ether to move my brothers van my stepdad was on the hood spraying it into the intake and we managed to move it onto our sloped driveway

well, i searched my *** off, and couldn't find anything, I read all 45 posts that came up, and nothing helped me with what I needed.

Just because the fuel pump is making a noise, does that mean its working? I pulled off the lines and a dribble of fuel came out, and thats it. I took the line off the fuel pump and put a hose on it and jumped the pump, no gas squirted out. Could it possibly be a fusible link? I know that theres a sensor on some cars that makes it so that the fuel pump won't pump fuel unless the engine is running, in case of an accident. Do the Z's have this? What could make the pump not work, but still hum like its supposed to? Gummed up gas in it? Can you really just bash it with a hammer and free it up? Thats what was mentioned in some posts, but people said not to do it, and they turn into arguments.

I took the line off the fuel pump and put a hose on it and jumped the pump, no gas squirted out. Could it possibly be a fusible link? I know that theres a sensor on some cars that makes it so that the fuel pump won't pump fuel unless the engine is running, in case of an accident.

I don't know why you're saying you didn't find anything. If there is gas going to the pump, and none comes out the other side when it's running... put 2 and 2 together. Those safety cut offs are electrical and would not allow the pump to run at all. This is an issue of a bad pump. If you're worried about spending a lot on a new one I have a perfectly good stock pump I will ship to you for the cost of shipping. It's kinda dirty and you'll have to put it in your pump's mounting bracket, but it worked perfectly when I took it off the car a year ago.

Took the fuel pump out today, and lost more gas all over the driveway-but luckily my nieghbor let us use the power washer the other day and its still in the garage, so i'll end up cleaning that up a little later.

On to buissness, messed with the pump today and discovered something. I didn't know that If you hooked the pump leads up backwards, that it would actually spin backwards. I took out the pump and played with it a bit and switched the wires, and it WORKED. Popped it back in and rewired it up, but now it won't work at all. Maybe the wiring got wet and thats why it will not work. Could that be a possible problem-wet leads won't allow it to pass a current? Hopefully they dry out in the next hour or so, so that I can fire it up.

Don't you just love the sound of an L28 when it first fires up. Thats right- I GOT IT RUNNING the negative hookup that I wired didn't work for some reason, so i just re-wired, and BAM. Sounds great, but I deffinitly need to adjust the timing tommorrow. Next step after getting it running right is the turbo kit, and yes, that sitting in my room, ready to install. All I need is an int/ext gasket and I'm set.

Glad to hear you got it working. I suppose I'll put my pump on the classifieds now. Before you get too excited about it running make sure your throttle plate is still straight, though. Enough force blowing past it to knock off intake piping couldn't have been good for it.