HybridZ

WANTED!!! Scan of structural diagram for 77 280Z

Guest Jeff Rimmer

Guest Jeff Rimmer

I was hoping someone might have a structural diagram in one on their shop manuals for a 77 280Z. If so, would it be possible for someone to scan it and sent it on over?

I would be extremely grateful.

TIA

JR

I have a service manual for a 1978 280Z.

I scanned the page you need.I had to save it as a bit map so the file is 3.8 Meg I don't have a file converter so I can't convert it to a jpg. let me know if you would still need it.

Carter

Carter, you could run it through a Zip or other compression program and it would get smaller for transport wink.gif. If Jeff doesn't have broadband, you could send it to me and I could compress it into a B&W jpeg for you and then make a .PDF out of it so that it would print to a page easily.

Guest Jeff Rimmer

I am rather desperate to receive this, so I will take it in any format you can deliver it. Bittmap or not, that's alright. It will simply take a long time to transfer.. but if you could zip it... that would also be great!

Lemme know what you can do...

I'm not sure if my e-mail space will take 35megs... Hope so!

Thanks again

Jeff Rimmer

jeffrimmer20@hotmail.com

Guest Jeff Rimmer

It would also be great if "ppraska" could transfer it into PDF format, as I have no clue how I would get it into that format.

If it can be done that would be great, if not, I will be equally as happy to have the file.

Thanks

Jeff Rimmer

Guys, I played with it a bit (cropped, sharpened, grayscaled, etc.) and put it in PDF format so it will print out on a page of regular paper (tell Acroreader to "fit to page" when printing.

It looks a bit cut off on the back of the car, but that's how I got it sent to me. I think all the critical stuff is there.

I zipped it up (it was 3.5 Meg uncompressed) and put it HERE

The zip file that you'll download is only 130,000-ish bytes.

Enjoy,

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

Guest RisqueRace?

Thanks so much for doing this,Jeff Rimmer for asking, 72240 for the info and PParaska for the setup of the info. It will make sorting a slightly bent program out easier.

You guys are awesome for response time:-)

Thank-you 3 times

Bruce :-)))

Sorry about the bad scan. It was late and I didn't check it. I'm in the process of re-loading all the software in my computer. I will re-scan it and convert it to .jpg this weekend.

Carter

Fascinating drawing! Yet more evidence that this is by far the most useful automotive forum on the internet!

One thing to notice is how the 280's frame rails continue for a long distance underneath the floor pan, but terminate ~6" ahead of where the rear subframe begins. A lot of unibody cars are apparently designed that way - almost full length frame rails, but not quite. I heard that the reason for this seemingly idiotic design flaw was NVH; splitting the frame like that is a deliberate compromise of rigidity to reduce vibration and harshness.

On my '78 280, the "stock" subframes were retained, but were extended to the rear clip, and now terminate at the hard points where the rear sway bar used to mount.

It's also interesting how the rocker boxes - probably the strongest beams in the whole car - just appear to float in space, supporting neither the engine nor the suspension loads directly. The roll cage design that I was talking about in an earlier thread was an attempt to tie into these rocker boxes.