HybridZ

What cars were the ld28 in?

blue_leaf

I know they were used in 80s patrols but could soneone specify the exact time period? Any other cars it was used in?

Thank you in advance.

If your thinking of going down the L31 stroker path, maybe you should have a rethink.

I was going to do the same until I found getting an LD28 crank was a AU$1000.00 + exercise.

I can put you in touch with 2 people that have them in Oz, but they want over a grand for them each, but just getting your hands on the crank is just the beginning. There is a fair bit of machining to be done to make it a good high revving crank and I don't think it's value, as the big gain is only torque.

I scrapped my L31ET aspirations for an L28ET + 0.040 o/size because I will acheive the HP I want and the percentage gain in torque Vs dollars wasn't worth it.

Cheers,

Dennis

^^^Yeah I heard those cranks are expensive - but still thought I will give it a try - you never know what you might find in the wrecking yards...

I am actually planning to go down the turborcharged path as well and was thinking about usinf the ld28t exhaust manifold. I am sure it will provide great low down torque, but I am slightly concerned its high RPM flow capabilities - has anyone used those manifolds succesfully?

Btw did maximas come out with both ld28 turbo and non-turbo? Were all the patrols with ld28 turbocharged?

What exhaust manifold are you planning on using Dennis? What about you Dave - what manifold did you use?

John.

If you want a 3 litre or 3 litre turbo, try using a Nissan RB30E or RB30ET from a VL commodore. Parts will be alot easier to get in Aus, and probably cheaper than trying to find rare old nissan parts.

But if you must have an L series. Try looking for parts form NZ. They got alot of Jap spec cars there, and LD28's are fairly common compared to Australia. Try http://www.trademe.co.nk and search for LD28 and you'll see what I mean.

Theres a crank on ther right now. I hear theres a crank for sale in WA also. http://www.wazcars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=202

^^^Yeah I heard those cranks are expensive - but still thought I will give it a try - you never know what you might find in the wrecking yards...

I am actually planning to go down the turborcharged path as well and was thinking about usinf the ld28t exhaust manifold. I am sure it will provide great low down torque' date=' but I am slightly concerned its high RPM flow capabilities - has anyone used those manifolds succesfully?

Btw did maximas come out with both ld28 turbo and non-turbo? Were all the patrols with ld28 turbocharged?

What exhaust manifold are you planning on using Dennis? What about you Dave - what manifold did you use?

John.[/quote']

John,

I can't tell you anything about the turbo diesel manifolds, other than getting hold of it would be the challenge.

You can find many LD28 cranks in NZ, but try getting it into Oz.

You can find any number of these cranks on Trade Me ~ NZ from NZ$150 upwards, but then comes the fun part.

Packed it goes just over 20kg and the NZ postal services posts international up to 30kg, but there is no NZ Post shop that will accept anything over 20kg, not even the 22kg that I got the packaged item down to and they then say Air Freight to Australia.

With the freight costs + Ozzy terminal costs, possible duty and other expenses, it's cheaper to buy onein Oz for the grand everyone I know wants for them.

I chose to go with an F54 block, P90 head, plus 1.0mm flat top pistons (8.7:1) @ 2818cc, Z31 VG30 BB Turbo on stock L28ET exhaust manifold, L28ET inlet manifold, stock L28ET cam and with 14 psi, I expect better than 300HP at the wheels. The 8.7:1 compression will give excellent low down torque and staying under a bar of boost, some reliability can be achieved.

Somebody please tell me how more than this is of any use. You sure can't get more than this successfully to the ground unless using full on racing slicks, which you can't use on the road and be registered.

My HR30 Skyline weighs about 1200kg in track trim and I have 245 tyres, the widest possible on these cars.

There are a lot more issues in building a reliable L28ET than having big cu ins.

Cheers,

Dennis

I chose to go with an F54 block' date=' P90 head, plus 1.0mm flat top pistons (8.7:1) @ 2818cc, Z31 VG30 BB Turbo on stock L28ET exhaust manifold, L28ET inlet manifold, stock L28ET cam and with 14 psi, I expect better than 300HP at the wheels. The 8.7:1 compression will give excellent low down torque and staying under a bar of boost, some reliability can be achieved.

[/quote']

I was myself considering using the ld28t exhaust manifold and l28e intake manifold with larger throttle body and a P90 head. The turbo - I have not decided yet, but I was planning on using a modern one that is ball bearing type with steel compressor wheel.

So where did you get or are plannning to get those parts - from US? How much will it approximately cost? And what does the 1.0mm stand for in piston description - is it the piston diameter increase? Are you getting those forged?

I was myself considering using the ld28t exhaust manifold and l28e intake manifold with larger throttle body and a P90 head. The turbo - I have not decided yet' date=' but I was planning on using a modern one that is ball bearing type with steel compressor wheel.

So where did you get or are plannning to get those parts - from US? How much will it approximately cost? And what does the 1.0mm stand for in piston description - is it the piston diameter increase? Are you getting those forged?[/quote']

John,

The L28ET & L20ET exhaust manifolds are both identical, likewise with both inlet manifolds. The diference is the throttle body sizing.

The L20ET has a very tiny 50mm or there abouts, the Jap Spec L28ET has a dual stage (twin butterfly) throttle body.

I have the Jap spec inlet manifold & throttle body, that I'm going to try first, I also have 65mm throttle bodies from KA24E & RB25DE for later.

The Z31 VG30 Turbo is ball bearing, but only ceramic, but I cant see a great problem with that if you keep the boost down. They flow probably 30% more air at the same psi as the older style T03. A very good VG30 Turbo will set you back about AU$350.00 as opposed to about AU$2000.00 for something like a Garrett GT30R.

I was lucky for the parts, I bought a complete L28ET engine, but it is n/a and the guy spent over AU$7000 on it about 80K ago. It has been fully balanced and internally was near perfect, no lip on the bore, so I am having the bores honed, HPC the piston crowns and skirts and putting it back together as is with new rings & bearings. The head has had a mild port and polish done (just removed the rough bits) As I already had a spare L20ET exhaust manifold, now black HPC coated, I will nearly get it assembled without having to touch the original engine, except at the very end.

At the end of the day, how much HP are you looking for, and or what can you use. I have a mate in South Oz that has 195Kw at the wheels in an MR30 sedan and he can break traction in the first 3 gears without really trying.

The 1.0mm pistons means 1.0mm (0.040) oversize which converts to an 87mm in the F54 L28ET block. The pistons are cast I think, but if you ask some questions about pistons on here, most of the guys will tell you they are up to the task if staying under a bar of boost. Forged pistons really only come into their own when using big boost numbers of 20+ psi.

When I started looking, Hornsby/Asquith Nissan Wreckers wanted about $2500.00 for a complete Jap spec L28ET engine. Z Classic wanted $1200 just for the top end without manifolds, yet I was lucky enough to find what I did for $450.00 plus $190 freight from Lismore to Sydney.

The big question is what are you putting it in, because if it's not a 280Z there may be conversion costs involved as you might need a diferent sump position.

Cheers,

Dennis

John' date='

The L28ET & L20ET exhaust manifolds are both identical, likewise with both inlet manifolds. The diference is the throttle body sizing.

The L20ET has a very tiny 50mm or there abouts, the Jap Spec L28ET has a dual stage (twin butterfly) throttle body.

I have the Jap spec inlet manifold & throttle body, that I'm going to try first, I also have 65mm throttle bodies from KA24E & RB25DE for later.

The Z31 VG30 Turbo is ball bearing, but only ceramic, but I cant see a great problem with that if you keep the boost down. They flow probably 30% more air at the same psi as the older style T03. A very good VG30 Turbo will set you back about AU$350.00 as opposed to about AU$2000.00 for something like a Garrett GT30R.

I was lucky for the parts, I bought a complete L28ET engine, but it is n/a and the guy spent over AU$7000 on it about 80K ago. It has been fully balanced and internally was near perfect, no lip on the bore, so I am having the bores honed, HPC the piston crowns and skirts and putting it back together as is with new rings & bearings. The head has had a mild port and polish done (just removed the rough bits) As I already had a spare L20ET exhaust manifold, now black HPC coated, I will nearly get it assembled without having to touch the original engine, except at the very end.

At the end of the day, how much HP are you looking for, and or what can you use. I have a mate in South Oz that has 195Kw at the wheels in an MR30 sedan and he can break traction in the first 3 gears without really trying.

The 1.0mm pistons means 1.0mm (0.040) oversize which converts to an 87mm in the F54 L28ET block. The pistons are cast I think, but if you ask some questions about pistons on here, most of the guys will tell you they are up to the task if staying under a bar of boost. Forged pistons really only come into their own when using big boost numbers of 20+ psi.

When I started looking, Hornsby/Asquith Nissan Wreckers wanted about $2500.00 for a complete Jap spec L28ET engine. Z Classic wanted $1200 just for the top end without manifolds, yet I was lucky enough to find what I did for $450.00 plus $190 freight from Lismore to Sydney.

The big question is what are you putting it in, because if it's not a 280Z there may be conversion costs involved as you might need a diferent sump position.

Cheers,

Dennis[/quote']

So you got turbo prepd engine for $490? If so - thats really unbelievable. So do you have a spare turbo exhaust manifold left now? Also what head is that engine using? What sort of engine managment system are you planning to run, or are you going to use carbs?

I am planning to put the engine into a 240z and at the moment I have a F54 block with an E30 head on it and standard fuel injection system - so have a long way to go before I have all the needed parts for turbocharging.

Thanks for the pointer to VG30 turbo - sounds as a good idea, but I am still concerned that it might be hard to find one in reasonable condition...

The engine cost me $640.00 delivered to my door, which I thought was an absolute STEAL!

It has a P90 turbo head & I acquired a standard turbo cam (thanks to one of the guys on this forum)

As for the spare exhaust manifold, it's staying where it is for now, as I have to be sure the one I have is A'OK, similarly with the inlet manifold. It might pay you to stay in touch as I wont be using both of them eventually.

Sent you a PM that might help

SWR in Sydney can supply a high flow turbo pump for $137.00

I have an '81 L28ET AFM & ECU that I plan to use with a microtech piggy back to control the fuel & ignition etc. I'm trying to stay stockish, as much as possible, as it's all going into an HR30 Paul Newman Version Skyline Coupe, of which there is only 5 in Oz.

Cheers,

Dennis

So you got turbo prepd engine for $490? If so - thats really unbelievable. So do you have a spare turbo exhaust manifold left now? Also what head is that engine using? What sort of engine managment system are you planning to run' date=' or are you going to use carbs?

I am planning to put the engine into a 240z and at the moment I have a F54 block with an E30 head on it and standard fuel injection system - so have a long way to go before I have all the needed parts for turbocharging.

Thanks for the pointer to VG30 turbo - sounds as a good idea, but I am still concerned that it might be hard to find one in reasonable condition...[/quote']

L Series Turbo manifold in Melbourne Australia for $100.00 so far.

Ebay item # 4635414465

Cheers,

Dennis

L Series Turbo manifold in Melbourne Australia for $100.00 so far.

Ebay item # 4635414465

Cheers' date='

Dennis[/quote']

Thanks Dennis. Thats tempting but I have decided to leave the idea of turborcharging for a while - have to finish the bodywork first and see how much I have left:)