HybridZ

L28ET Oil Pump Options

thehelix112

Guys,

My L28ET just ate all the bottom end bearings due to a shoddy oil pump and some synthetic redline oil.

I am running a thermostat controlled oil cooler, but needless to say I would like some more flow (volume). What are my options?

I have seen that courtesy nissan sell a `nismo' competition pump, and a `nismo' high volume pump. Does anyone have any experience with these pumps? Are they just rebadged L28ET pumps?

I've also seen that mellings sell a L28ET pump.

Which of these pumps can people recommend for more flow, and use with thinner synthetic oil. I understand that old L pumps were never manufacturer with clearances suitable for thin oil. The local guru in Melbourne recommends 40-70W oil for race L engines.

Thanks,

Dave.

PS. I did search.

Guest ON3GO

Well from the research me and J just did, Toga sells a HV turbo oil pump... its THE same as a 280zx turbo AUTOMATIC oil pump.

which is the same it seems as the Nismo version.

mike

I thought this auction was interesting, but I dont understand the adjustable pressure relief. Is that the bolt with the large head, on the bottom?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240Z-280Z-280ZX-NEW-Turbo-Oil-Pump-Adjustable_W0QQitemZ8058816934QQcategoryZ6778QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The turbo automatic pump is $85 at my local Autozone. I think that one should be able to kick out enough pressure for your oil cooler since the Turbo Auto came with a cooler. I'm thinking of shimming my turbo man. pump but I don't think I know how exactly. Are there 2 springs inside?

I read this and still don't understand.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=107408&highlight=turbo+oil+pump]

Careful on the aftermarket pumps, I had gotten a 'Turbo' pump for a customer engine and it was a standard pump casting with deeper machining for the longer Turbo pump gearotor. This little trick reduced the flow area for the outlets by a significant amount. The true turbo pump has a longer main case around 10-12mm, I think.

I have OEM nissan turbo auto pump in my engine with a factory oil cooler. I picked up a lot more oil pressure at lower engine speeds when I replaced the factory hoses and banjo fittings with AN10 fittings and hose, getting rid of a lot of 90 deg flow changes. I drilled the factory fittings off of the oil cooler and welded AN10 bungs on the tanks. Runs about 38 psi hot at 2000 rpm at 180 deg oil temp, 55 psi above 4000 rpm. This is with 10w30 oil.

Doug

Doug' date='

I don't suppose I could con you into measuring your known auto turbo pump length could I? :D

Oh and according to carfiche.com, the PN for the L28ET with oil cooler is:

15010-88080

or

15010-88060

or

15010-68080

or

15010-68060

See for yourselves. http://carfiche.com/fiche009/s130/2/f08.gif

Dave

Dave,

Just by chance, do you know the cast number on your existing Oil Pump?

On my L20ET I have H-3 on the pump housing, on the F54 L28ET I have H-33 and I'm told the Auto L28ET with cooler is H-4.

Cheers,

Dennis