HybridZ

Billet parts Question

Wondering Nomad

Let me preface this by saying I searched already. :wink:

At what power level do billet parts become necessary? I'm in the process of putting together a drivetrain and don't know if I necessarily need to buy billet adapters.

I'm looking at a 300-400 HP RB26DETT with a Q45 R200 in my 72'. Do I need billet 5 lug hubs and billet differential adapters? Could I just run the standard steel adapters at that power level?

with the setup you are looking at, it is not a question of if but when the parts will break. minimum you will have to swap out your stub axles to the beefier 280z axles. with that much power i wouldn't risk using the 240z stub axles because when one of them lets loose you'll end up replacing the axle on top of whatever damage you incurred when it broke.

the 280zx is a totally different animal. the suspension is different and the stub axles are different also. modern motorsports sells a companion flange adaptor so you can run the cv's and the r200 diff but in my opinion, if you are going to go to that much trouble you should upgrade to the 300zxt cv's and get the companion flange adaptors and 280z stub axles.