HybridZ

yea i gave in, picked up a manual.

yeap, took your guys advice.

just got my copy of the conversion manual from summit, they sent me a hat aswell. (whats funny is my friend just orderd a full exhust and all he got was stickers, i guess summits expecting me to send a buncha money there way with this book)

im about halfway through (believe me id be done with it if it wasnt for these pain killers putting me to sleep, got a tooth pulled today and it wasnt a pretty site)

i have to ask your guys advice on the trans though, it says here that the T5 is only good for people running close to stock 350s, expecting to run 14s with 300HP, and my long block is pushing over 400, t56 remans are EXPENSIVE! 1800 without clutch or bellhousing from what i can see, thats more then i put into the whole motor, id really like to keep it a lowbudget buildup, are there any other options (besides the vette 4+3, that looks like more work then its worth)

im not willing to go automatic either. thanks

-Vin

Vin,

As you may or may not have read, the WC T5 is pretty stout EXCEPT if you beat on it drag racing. My friend Mike D (73BOTIZ) had a very built 355 that was pushing at least 400 hp and he beat on it once in a while with no ill effects.

Do a search on the T5 and you'll find a lot of info.

Davy

thanks ill look into it, i read somthing about the world class t5 but i still wasnt conviced it was stong enough... im not gonna say i beat on my stuff, but i will push things rather hard once in a while, id like to know i could take it down the track a few times without having to worry.

ill do my homework on the T5 though, if anyone has any links with good Info please feel free to send them my way.

I have broken too many GM T5's to ever trust one again. Truthfully unless you can get one and get a GFORCE kit put in it I wouldnt bother. Like DaveyZ said, the only option is the WC model but I have seen a few of them broken behind mild motors so I guess it depends on what your gonna do with the car.

Man, im having the same problem right now.

I have been lookin for a wc for some times now, and if i ended up gettin one, i still wouldnt fully trust it, and it would suck if i broke it, and it took forever to get it fixed, or find another one.

G-force was mentioned, but i hear they have terrible customer service, and NOONE reccommends them

I started lookin at TKO600's with are 5speeds rated at 600 lb tq, but they run $1900. And if your gonna spend that much, why not go ahead and get a t56.

Why not just get a t56?

They are alot heavier, and i dont want an electronic speedo, but then again, for that 6th gear, it maybe worth it.

The alternative option is to just use the T5 FOR NOW, get the car running, learn its manners, and later on upgrade to either a stouter variant of the T5, or to another transmission altogether. There are not many options in the world of manual transmissions that are both cost-effective and sufficiently strong. Each of the established solutions (T56, Tremec, Doug Nash/Richmond, G-force) have drawbacks, such as high cost, heavy weight, difficult installation, notchy shifts, or poor choice of gear ratios. Don’t let consternation over “will it be strong enough?†set your endeavors back by 6 months.

I've blown up a few T-5's behind a couple of fairly mild (<400 hp) small-blocks. To give you a reference point, my stock halfshafts have never had a problem (but then again, I'm hoping to experience "traction" - is that what it's called? - some day).

Keep an eye open for tranny's, though. I picked up a T56 from Florida (I'm in California) for $800 on Ebay, $80 shipping, it has been phenomenal.

And if your gonna spend that much, why not go ahead and get a t56.

Why not just get a t56?

Well because the gear ratio's and spreads are not designed for a lite weight car like a Z!

Most Z's will use a 3.54 thru a 3.90 rear end.

Do the math.

Mark

I agree about the T56 and gearing with a lopey V8. Mikelly found 6th to be useless with his 383. I find the .68 5th to be all I'd ever want as far as overdrive (Tremec). The OE .50 overdrive of the T56 is useless unless you are running a very mild cam. The T56 is rather large and heavy.

Consider going with a G-Force T-5. They have cases as well. It's not cheap, but it's plenty strong enough and light, and has better gear ratios for the typical Z.