HybridZ

240z stroker turbo w/tripple webers?

hoov100

gotta love the smog cutoff year in cali. i have a stroker 3.2 sitting at my freinds shop, also have a set of rebuilt tripple webers sitting in a box next to it, add all this, plus a rust free 240z and you get a sweet setup, but i want to go farther then fartin around with a stroker, i want it turbo, i made myself a intake plenum that can withstand 250psi and will bolt on to the carbs, my question.... would i still need the turbo wiring harness if im using the carbs?

the turbo itself has no computerized parts so if you're just adding the turbo then no... and even if you go with fuel injection (which I would Highly recomend!) the don't worry about the crappy turbo harnes ... just add the wireing for the new engine managment. If you read the book by Corky Bell, "Maximum boost" he has a section talking about carborated turbo engines and the problems that you can have with them. He also say's that he wouldn't recomend that set up. If you live in a cold area with a carborated turbo engine... good luck in getting it started. the kind of engine managment needed to get the most out of a turbo setup without blowing up the engine, NEEDS fuel injection with after market engine managment i.e. megasquirt, haltech. If you're gonna build a 3.2L turbo I would do a lot of research. Good Luck

P.S. Corky's book has a picture of a tripple makuni blow through turbo nissian L28. Seems like the worst kind of turbo set up to me ... that just my uneducated 2 cents.

TonyD said that drivability and boost transition during light throttle is FAR superior with EFI.

If you must run triple carbs with a turbo, TonyD recommends to use the Old-School HKS Surge Tank plenum (hard to find).

Fuel injected stroker turbo is probably your best bet. You can run an N42 intake manifold like JeffP, a custom intake manifold (PM the member spork from lonewolf), TWM throttle bodies mated to the carb intake manifold like TimZ, or TWM individual throttle bodies (has 6 seperate throttles - its big money for these)

Check out jeffp's website:

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt/

Also check out TimZ's thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=105832&highlight=stroker

Both JeffP and TimZ are making over 500 horsepower.

Why thow out the blow through idea. If you love carbs and want a turbo, go for it. It may not be as easy as FI, it may give you fits, but what the hey, it'll be different. I've been playing with the idea myself. My friend is using a blow through supercharger setup on a V8 and it actually IMPROVES the drivability. People are so down on doing anything with tripples. I drove my Z with a L28 with trip. Dellortos year round, in Connecticut, in the snow with no problems at all. I even deleted the choke mechanism.

I just wanted to add this to the discussion. A while back there was a LONG thread about Wangan midnight...that car is a turbo stroker with triple Mikuni carbs as I recall. That should show that not only can it be done, it can be done very well.

Manga Widnight is fantasy... even if someone mocked up that set up...

The Webers are temperature and altitude sensitive... infinitely adjustable also assumes you have an infinite amount of money and time... After a year of tuning and retuning for sesonal differences.... you will have a tacklebox full of jets, airbleeds, E-tubes, and gack... and a notebook full of calibrations sorted by temperature, barometric pressure, and altitude for every place you run your car....

Add TURBO to that and it probably gets worse... much worse...

You can modify the Weber carbys to run a blow through turbo... but an airbox does the same thing... in any case you will need late model plastic floats, rubber gaskets, and quite a few odd sized custom drilled jets..... You will be working outside the range of conditions the carbys were designed for... by a long shot...

Manga Widnight is fantasy... even if someone mocked up that set up...

The Webers are temperature and altitude sensitive... infinitely adjustable also assumes you have an infinite amount of money and time... After a year of tuning and retuning for sesonal differences.... you will have a tacklebox full of jets' date=' airbleeds, E-tubes, and gack... and a notebook full of calibrations sorted by temperature, barometric pressure, and altitude for every place you run your car....

Add TURBO to that and it probably gets worse... much worse...

You can modify the Weber carbys to run a blow through turbo... but an airbox does the same thing... in any case you will need late model plastic floats, rubber gaskets, and quite a few odd sized custom drilled jets..... You will be working outside the range of conditions the carbys were designed for... by a long shot...[/quote']

Interesting...people have seen this "fantasy" car you know.

Further, Cartech made a kit including the manifold for a triple carb turbo set up.

ok other than... someone has actually done that to create a show car.... Texas Z??? do have triple webers... have you ever worked on triple Webers... do you know anyone who actually got them to work correctly under a variety of conditions..???... much less a TURBO application???? I have a folder STUFFED FULL with notations and reciepts for parts from 3 distributors.. and that is just for track tuning(main, float, and accelerator circuits)... I still don't have streetability(low speed circuits) entirely worked out to my satisfaction....

You cannot deny that Webers are hard to tune to perfection.. and adding a tubo will make it even harder... you won't be able to push the limits without detonating a few motors along the way.. there are ZERO safety systems to keep from destroying the engine.... at the very least you would need to use MS for it's ignition management system...

lol... Tony D.... well I have caught him up to his eyes in bull#*** before....

Gimme a break... saying that it exists... that is fine... but I guarantee it doesn't work well at all... there is simply no way it would turn the kind of numbers that a fuel injected car will turn with ANY RELIABILITY....

Tony D... lol.... I can provide some linkys to a recent...VERY EMBARASSING THREAD... lol....

The answer to the original post should have been "search".

John, back before they had aftermarket EFI lots of people used carbs and turbos. I agree it's not the best way, but we have members here that have done it and have posted about it in the past. Talking **** and making absolute statements like you "guarantee it doesn't work well" or no way it would be reliable doesn't do your credibility any favors. When you don't know you might consider shutting up.

Here's one thread (note the comments from the guy who WORKED FOR CARTECH): http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=93573

I never said it would not work... I simply stated it was unreliable and a poor performer compared to the same engine with a computerized system...

It is kind of like builing an airplane out of wood and cloth... It definitely WORKS... but it is outdated now that we have much better technology...

Any attempt to use a blow through Weber Turbo set up is an exercise in nostalgia.. not performance...

i dont know what computerized system your talking about, the 240z only has wiring for the accesories and only a few non-replated componets, if this where a new EFI turbo car and you wanted to switch to carbs, that would be a wast of time, but already having a carbed motor, then gooing to turbos, the only thing i would worry about is ignition.