HybridZ

Painting the Darius240z!

Darius

Hey everyone it's been a while!! Finally ready to paint the car, it's going to the bodyshop this coming tuesday. I'm trying to figure out what color to paint it. I would like to do it all black again but with all the fiberglass on the sides I'm not sure if it will look ok? I have been thinking of doing a 2 tone style on it and running the line at the top of the flares across the body. I've thought of red sides and black top, red top white sides, just trying to paint the sides a lighter color to hide the waves of the fiberglass. I could do silver sides black roof also. I'm going to be powdercoating the wheels all black so I think it would look good with the silver sides. Give me some opinions on the paint, It would probably look sick all black with the black wheels and I might still do it but a properly done 2 tone would look nice also.

http://www.servinitup.com/gallery/d/1157-2/z_004.jpg

http://www.servinitup.com/gallery/d/2181-2/byron_z_joe_011.jpg

http://www.servinitup.com/gallery/d/2168-1/280YZ+Flares.jpg

http://www.servinitup.com/gallery/d/2170-1/Copy+of+280YZ+at+speed.jpg

http://www.servinitup.com/gallery/d/2179-2/DSC00541.JPG

http://www.servinitup.com/gallery/d/2178-2/DSC00546.JPG

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you're so worried about the waves in the glass have the shop straighten it out, tell em you want it as flawless as possibe. It's not like you haven't dropped a ton of money in this car already. Every thing you've done with the 240 has been first class, so why stop short on this part.

BTW I vote for BLACK, sinister looking, hope I never have you pull up next to me at a stop light, you'll see how fast my car can turn right ;)

If you're so worried about the waves in the glass have the shop straighten it out' date=' tell em you want it as flawless as possibe. It's not like you haven't dropped a ton of money in this car already. Every thing you've done with the 240 has been first class, so why stop short on this part.

BTW I vote for BLACK, sinister looking, hope I never have you pull up next to me at a stop light, you'll see how fast my car can turn right ;)[/quote']

waves in glass are EXTREAMLY hard to get out, and keep out, why do u think you see so many red corvettes?

Screw that, I'd punch it just to be up close to that beast running hard!

I vote all black.

Otherwise, avoid the red... stick with the neutral colors. Two-tone works well with neutrals or with like-colors I think. Black/white black/silver white/grey or something like that would be pretty sweet.

Pink with polka dots would be fine as well. Heh heh

Man, your car is so damn internet famous. People still post your old videos on my forum.

Black on top red on the bottom? Either way with those flares i dont think anyone is going to be looking for waves. :2thumbs:

ya I think that would look nice with a silver pin stripe between the colors, I'm kinda leaning towards all black, also might be fiberglassing in the rear flares instead of just zuess fastners.

My vote is all black. Do the wheels black too! I have been thinking of doing that also.

The YZ kit looks much better in a dark color, IMO.

Mine(Picture below) will be painted sometime soon, will be a very dark blue (Looks black in most light).

SEZ2.jpg

If you want it all black but you're worried about about waves in the fiberglass, you could go with a satin black...that would look really mean.

My vote would be black top silver sides with a blue or red pinstripe between then.

Guest ON3GO

two tone!

black and silver... or better yet black and dark dark gunmetal.

like the BMW M5 steal grey.. i have it on my Z's vents and tail light panel and love it..

do a flatter black pinstripe between the two and you set.

that or all black with silver ghost flames :D

you painting the rear defuser??

mike

My vote would be Black top and Silver sides!!! I wouldnt powder coat the wheels black, not all of them, just the center and leave the lip that nice shiny aluminum.

Now that would look really good IMHO.

Guest l28et

The worlds most famous 240Z and hes asking ME what color? I feel honored. LOL

Like others have said, it doesnt matter what color goes on. The car looks great, has hella balls and if nothing else, the 6k+ wheels and attention to detail divert any negative attention away.

Personally, black is always sexy, but blandes out the car. All that body work shouldnt go unnoticed.

My vote:

Bay Side Blue (Skyline)

554598_28_full.jpg

Estoril Blue

chitta2.jpg

Seal Gray

1.jpg

Slate Gray

Slate-Grey-Porsche-911-GT3-pic-23-4209727.jpg

Those are my votes. Simple, clean, really brings out the lines/curves of a car.

Thanks for all the ideas, I think a 2 tone done properly could accent the flares nicely. I will be powdercoating the rear diffuser black most likely. It's either gonna be dark gun metal sides with black roof, or just all black. So many combinations could look great, yellow sides and black roof with black wheels would look cool but I'm not really a fan of yellow. I also like all black wheels, had some silver lips on my 02 z06 then went all black and it's much better looking. The more I think about it the more I wanna glass the rear flares on instead of zuess's. I've seen a few yz kits and some dont look good to me, to make the car look right it has to sit really low and have a properly sized wheel with the right profile tire.

Yellow is not really my thing, However "crome yellow" with the black highlights as you described them would be wicked. It would show of the other details of your ride. Nice work Btw. Look forward to seeing it move again.

Douglas