HybridZ

Pics of my SR20DET powered 240Z

Hugh

Yes, its finally on the road. After a long hiatus from racing, I'm ready to get back out there.

I had Vildini Motorsport in Mission Viejo, CA install the engine, fuel system, intercooler/radiator, wire up the electrical for starting/charging/etc...

The Tec3 and many other parts came out of my previous 180sx. I just had to make some slight adjustments to the harness and plugged it right in for this setup.

Got it up and running right away without any major problems.

I just had to retune the ignition and fuel maps for the little stock turbo. My old setup was 850cc with a T04S. Now its 850cc and T25.

Had to start somewhere. I still have the full-race manifold and wastegate, but I'm pondering turbo choice at this point. The stock drivetrain and chassis of this old beast won't take the sort of power I made in the 180sx. I need to put in some work first. ;)

Here's some pics:

hughSR2401.JPG

Yes, the body needs work really bad. Thats ok though, it runs great!

hughSR2402.JPG

hughSR2403.JPG

hughSR2404.JPG

hughSR2405.JPG

hughSR2406.JPG

hughSR2407.JPG

Picture of the crank sensor with the engine running

Setup:

Redtop SR20DET - all stock including turbo

Electromotive Tec3

850cc injectors

Greddy intake with Q45 TB

Apexi GT-Spec intercooler

AFCO aluminum radiator

I need to put all my electronics in the car, including the gauges, boost controller, and turbo timer.

I've spent the past day just fine tuning it to run right on the street. I've only boosted a couple times, and in this chassis... this sucker feels fast for a stock motor.

The guys at Vildini took really good care of me. Special thanks to them!

http://www.vildinimotorsport.com

thanks for getting pics up so fast dude, i was going to ask you to take some shots so that i can put it up on the site, when my dad and max were doing your swap i was running around all week picking up parts from all over LA and hollywoord area. ill be updating the site again hopefully by the end of the weekend.

Glad to see you like our work, cant wait to see you romping on it pretty soon

I checked the map a lot to make sure I was safe.. and I ran it down the 405 last night going to Irvine Spectrum. Since my Tec3 keeps looking for the TPS signal, it runs lean momentarily whenever you stuff the throttle, so I have to apply throttle very gently. After working my way up to full, this SOB got fast! I'm suprised at only stock boost it pulls like it does.

I need to get the boost controller in and get the TPS hooked up soon.

I just have to go out and find an Infiniti Q45 that I can cut the TPS connector out of.

Yep, sure was. I peeled off the color code sticker like a year ago, only to find that the green underneath it was in mint condition. It was an ugly the color the day it rolled off the production line.

Lucky I'm not one of those people who gets hung up on what color a car was, I only care what color it is.

Eventually it will resemble something like my 180sx was, but with more gold this time. (a little less subtle color on the silver)

Can't play the vid for some reason....

Not Found

The requested URL /features/hugh/Hugh-SR-240Z-7psi.mpg was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at localhost.localdomain Port 80

Since my Tec3 keeps looking for the TPS signal, it runs lean momentarily whenever you stuff the throttle, so I have to apply throttle very gently.

If you don't have a TPS, you can still get some acceleration enrichment under these circumstances by using the MAP rate of change enrichment instead - that's one of the reasons it's there for...

If you don't have a TPS, you can still get some acceleration enrichment under these circumstances by using the MAP rate of change enrichment instead - that's one of the reasons it's there for...

Yeah, I turned off TPS enrichment (since there is no signal) and turned on MAP enrichment (which I never used on my last engine - TPS enrich worked so well)

I can't seem to get MAP enrich to work well at all, though. I'm watching my wideband shoot dangerously lean for a moment, then it rockets back to super rich after the MAP catches up.

I don't know if it has to do with the placement of my map sensor or something I'm tuning wrong... but I know one thing - This throttle body is HUGE. It's a lot bigger than my previous one, and I believe its a little too much for this setup. (planning for the future) If I had TPS enrichment, I could guarantee it will be ok. With just MAP, I'm afraid that plate cracks open and it just pumps too much air for it to keep up.

Anyone have any numbers for the TEC that I should try on MAP Enrichment?

In the meantime, I'm still looking for a Q45 to cut a connector out of...:mrgreen:

Yeah' date=' I turned off TPS enrichment (since there is no signal) and turned on MAP enrichment (which I never used on my last engine - TPS enrich worked so well)

I can't seem to get MAP enrich to work well at all, though. I'm watching my wideband shoot dangerously lean for a moment, then it rockets back to super rich after the MAP catches up.

I don't know if it has to do with the placement of my map sensor or something I'm tuning wrong... but I know one thing - This throttle body is HUGE. It's a lot bigger than my previous one, and I believe its a little too much for this setup. (planning for the future) If I had TPS enrichment, I could guarantee it will be ok. With just MAP, I'm afraid that plate cracks open and it just pumps too much air for it to keep up.

Anyone have any numbers for the TEC that I should try on MAP Enrichment?[/quote']

I can't give you numbers off the top of my head, but if you were to send me a datalog showing the problem and your current calibration, I could take a look.