HybridZ

427/428 Ford engine

maxtor

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put the FE in it and run it! I'm also getting into that age range where I'd like to experiment more on the Z, but I want to use what available (which is what you're doing). This is HybridZ, right (big V8 in little car?). BTW, I'm adding 70 pounds to the Blueoval with a new 383 (the smallest stroker for the 351W). Why the smallest? The really short rod length/stroke ratio scared me on the larger displacement combinations. The only change needed in getting this 100 extra cubes is new headers and a new intake manifold.

Another advantage:

"Honey, I've decided to go ahead and replace the worn out engine in my 240SX, and it just so happens I've got a line on a really cheap motor to put in it." :mrgreen:

The ol' 289 has a home waiting for it.

I have a 460 motor sitting in the garage in need of a home.

anyone want to donate a rollling z and a transmixer?

One of the scariest rides I ever took was in a comet with a 460 using the 429 SCJ heads on them (forget the golf ball, a tennis ball would fit through these intake ports).

According to wikipedia the FE weighs 680 lbs. We show the L28 at 523 lbs. Lets be generous to the L and say that the transmission used with the FE is a full 150 lbs heavier than the L transmission. So now we're at a total of about 310 lbs heavier than stock. Put this in a 240Z that weighed 2350 off the showroom floor, and it's still a couple HUNDRED lbs lighter than a 280Z. Keep in mind we still haven't stripped the interior or added a fiberglass hood or decklid. If you were still concerned about the weight you could ballast the rear 200 lbs and then you'd be right at the weight of the 280Z, only with an additional 4 or 5 or 600 hp.

Guy's a 460 is not an FE. But it is a great engine, and would be fun to have in a 240Z. It might fit better than an FE because of the oil pan configuration.

FE engines,

The 332,361,391 are truck engines.