Comp Cams 280S

z-ya

Anyone use this cam? Hear are the specs:

MFG: Comp Cams

Model: 280S

Duration: INT 280 EXH 280

Lift: INT .460 EXH .460

Lobe Angle: 110°

My question is how much vacuum should I have at idle? Mine is running around 10 inHg. Stock is around 20 inHg. Is this right? I've checked everywhere for vacuum leaks, and haven't found any. I also had the head and intake checked for leaks before assembly.

Also, the idle below 1200RPM is pretty rough. Over 1200 it smooths out. I've checked the valve lash, and they are all within spec.

Help Appreciated.

Can someone explain to me the importance of measuring vacuum at idle? I've seen posts on the subject and the idea of why you'd do it for any reason other than to make sure the vacuum booster would work eludes me.

BTW Cruez, sounds good to me!

In a speed density based EFI setup, because it measures engine load by manifold pressure, it is important. With a stock cam, max vacuum is at idle. With a more aggressive cam, the idle vacuum can actually be lower than under load. This has a big effect on the fuel map (pressure vs. RPM)

For carbs, it doesn't matter except for brake booster vacuum as you said (oh, that matters for EFI too).

Can someone explain to me the importance of measuring vacuum at idle? I've seen posts on the subject and the idea of why you'd do it for any reason other than to make sure the vacuum booster would work eludes me.

BTW Cruez' date=' sounds good to me![/quote']

Additionally, and this doesn't apply to you Jon, lower than stock vaccum will effect the folks that still have a vaccum advance distributor. I thought you might get a good laugh out of this one Jon!

With a cam that big, you should run your efi in the "idle mode" at low rpms so it doesn't try to use manifold pressure as an efi parameter until the rpms come up a bit. However, not all efi systems have that capability.

But, 10 inhg seems just a little low for a 280 duration cam. Try using 1000 rpms, 20 degrees of initial timing, and riching up the idle mixture. I think 11 or 12 should be obtainable.