HybridZ

RB30 bottom ends

AKWIKZ

Well guys, it took a lot longer than I had expected, but I now have the RB30's on the way up. My friend ended up having problems so I went with another supplier. They will be in Long Beach in approximately 6 weeks. I have at least 2, and possibly 3 available right now. I'm posting it here first. They are $1200 each. Any buyers are welcome to meet me in Long Beach when the shipment arrives to pick up their motor. Otherwise, they will be brought back to Phoenix and available for pick up here or shipped at the buyers expense. I also have access to RB25 turbo trannys and RB25 or RB26 heads. Let me know if you have any questions.

Brian

I completely forgot to mention that each block will include a brand new, correct timing belt for the conversion as well. All that will be needed is to relocate one of the belt pulleys on the block. Other than that, it would be a standard RB rebuild.

Brian

Brian, good to see you were able to work out getting them into the states! I looked into this a couple of years ago, and know what a pain the *ss the shipping is. Anyway, I am definetly interested, and was wondering if you happened to know if these are going to be gen1 or gen 2 blk's? And turbo, or non?

Thnx.

Thanks. I do not know if they are series 1 or 2 or even if they are factory turbo. It was of little issue after I learned a few things about the RB30. There is such a negligible difference that any possible delay associated with being overly selective was not worth it. On non turbo blocks, a hole could be tapped in to an oil passage to supply the turbo. Most people just go off of the oil pressure sensor hole. Other than that, the pistons differ between the two. Again, this is not really a big deal as most people will put new pistons in to change the C/R for the new head. I personally plan to build 2 RB30's. One will be a 3.1 twin turbo for my '71 Skyline. The other will be a high compression N/A 3.1 for the next car I'm working on importing; a '73 KGC110 Skyline. But that's another story entirely.

Brian

I have some more info to pass along. I have now worked out specs with Wiseco and can get forged pistons for these. They are custom order of course and take four weeks to get. First set is for the turbo guys. Flat top, 87mm overbore with a 9:1 C/R. The next is for anyone wanting to build an N/A motor. These are domed, also 87mm overbore, with a C/R of 11.5:1 . Either of these of course available in stock bore sizes if desired. If used in the overbore it will yield a 3.1 liter block. Either set is $800 delivered in the U.S.

Brian

These engines are everywhere in AUS - i have a couple just sitting around in my garage, apparently there is almost (or no) difference between the N/A and turbo versions of the bottom end of this engine (except the pistons of course),

Can buy an entire engine with everything still on it and 200km's on the clock for $300AUD,

check out the following,

http://allclassifieds.com.au/c/ac?a=vi&i=253659785

http://allclassifieds.com.au/c/ac?a=vi&i=1377833339

http://allclassifieds.com.au/c/ac?a=vi&i=1241712468

And usually when people rebuild these engines even after 300km's they dont even need a re-bore, just a quick hone and slap it back together, great little motors :-),

Another update. I now have an account with ACL. Race series bearings for any RB are available, including the RB30. For anyone on HybridZ, you will get them at cost. $210 delivered to your door. (in the continental U.S.) This includes both main and rod bearings. Unfortunately, there is a delay on the RB30 bearings. I have ordered a set for myself and this was all they had on hand. I was told it could take up to 2 months to get them on special order. I may just go ahead and order a few sets now and keep them on hand.

Brian

After building a stroker turbo Z motor, and comparing it to my non stroked Z motor, I'd rather of built me a RB30dett than my RB26dett.

Its just once I started learning about the RB30 bottom end, I already had spent the money on Carrilo rods and JE pistons for my RB26 motor, or I would have built myself a RB30dett just because of the usable torque down low... I like power down low vrs top end high rev power.

I may not even like my motor once its up and running, just because of the low torque.

A friend of mine recently finished building an RB30DET for another friends R33 GTR. $15K Au in parts... He's a naval draftsman by trade, and discovered a minor engineering issue with the timing belt - none of the available belts are high temp rated, so are not reliable for an automotive application. The guy who provided the adaptor plate for the GTR front sump conversion was working with one of the belt manufacturers (Delco?) to come up with a kit for the RB30DET conversion, and my friend ended up taking over that side of the project. Ended up designing a setup with two tensioners and a brace plate... not sure what is happening with the kit.

And as for the engine - with NISMO injectors, bigger turbo's and ported RB26DET head it made 306Kw @ wheels on 80% injector duty cycle. Safe RPM limit is around 6,500 for these engines.

Joel,

I am not aware yet of any specific numbering system. ACL does not make any distinction other than the standard or race series.

Question 2;

I decided to bring in two for my own use. After crunching the numbers it made sense to bring in a few more. There appeared to be interest so I am giving people the opportunity.

Question 3;

My research has led me to believe that 7500 rpm is the edge with standard rods. While it does have quite a stroke, it is still a square motor. KA24's are routinely being revved to that and they are far under square. Forged rods are easily available though. My engine supplier actually stocks them. I just did not think anyone here would need to go that route, so I did not mention it. Seeing as how the stock RB26 has a redline of 8k, 7500 seems to be pretty good. Granted, a 26 could be built to easily spin higher, but my plans have always revolved around a broad usable power band.

Question 4;

Power. With an RB25 head, and decent T4 turbo, 450hp is relatively easy at 15 pounds of boost with 450 pound feet of torque. And this is on a home job build. Imagine a bit more tweaking and an RB26 head.

Question 5;

I can't directly respond to the timing belt comment. The ones I have ordered are the usual choice for everyone I have spoken with that has built one. I don't know how they can be any less durable as they are from the same company that manufactures O.E. replacement belts for any number of cars worldwide.

Brian

Here is a photo of the RB26 rods compared to the RB30's. I like the idea of the low end torque and not needing high rev's to make power.

2630piston2.jpg

This thread on Skylines Australia http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15420 has been ongoing since May of 2003. Currently it is at 183 pages! Obviously this hybrid combination works. Almost anything and everything you want to know about the RB30 conversion is there. Please read the thread before condeming their potential.

To me Brian's price for the blocks are reasonable. By the time you deal with all the shipping and customs headaches, one finds it worth the price. Especially since he is including the belt and also is a good source for rebuild parts!

2630piston2_thumb.jpg