HybridZ

Excel Spreadsheet tracking of my Z

ZR8ED

Does anyone else do this? I really hope this is not another symptom of my Z disease.

I have built several excel spreadsheets to track various aspects of my Z hobby.

I have a long term goal sheet that outlines all my future mods/repairs, assigns an estimated $ value, whether the job will be done by me or a shop and why I have it on the list. I can sort out the list by $ or by who is going to do the work etc. This helps me keep track of what I want to do to the car, and help me organize my yearly todo list, and keep me under my spending limit.

I also have a sheet that is similar, but that is an organized todo list for the current year/season. this to I can sort by different importances, and can use it to plan my season to stay within budget.

I then have a sheet that tracks all of the current seasons "done that" list, with any info that is relavant for future information.

Lastly I have a master tracking sheet, that records the current setup of my car. I only update it once a year, but helps me keep a record of what mods are in the car..ya never know when I may forget that my oil filter is from a 2.0L 90's toyota celica. hehehe

I then keep all these lists in their own tabs, and label them by year. I used to keep a "did that" list that was hand written, which I will backfill into their own spreadsheet tabs when I have some spare time...like winter! hehehe

Oh I must be sick...

Are you?

Scott

Does anyone else do this? I really hope this is not another symptom of my Z disease.

Oh I must be sick...

Are you?

Scott

Yes, I have done it as well. Have a spreadsheet on the CRX with all the info you talked about including milage, service, mods, how much they all cost and worse of all, a running total of what my hobby has cost in real dollars.

Got a sheet on the DD, a 94 Integra GSR, also. I still have to start a sheet for my newfound baby, a 74 260.

I also have service manuals, mod info, suppliers catalogues, and a spreadsheet devoted to turbo sizing. Plugin data and it gives you points to plot on compressor maps.

In short, yeah me too.

chris

Hi mi name is oliver, and I also use excel spreadsheets.

lol, yes I have one to keep track of what I want to do in order of priority, and i have prices next to everything, so I can sort it into order of $$$ for each mod. My total for future mods is around $12,000, and thats before I even start on my 3.1 diesel stroker project.

I'm new to this forum and Z's, but for my last cars I meticulously kept records of everything on spreadsheets including what I paid for parts, their retail, their used value, and the vendor it was purchased from. I even kept track of stuff like tire wear and graphed it for each different type of tires I've had, cylinder compression test, component weights etc. I also keep a log of all the stuff I do to the car. Surprisingly it's come in handy a ton of times. When I start doing a lot of work it all kinds of blends together in my mind.

I'm a financial analyst by trade so it would be illegal if I didn't track my build on a spreadsheet.

Here's how I had it set up:

1st Tab: All restoration items by area. I had every major body area broken down into sections and then subdivided into components. IE: Under hood - every rubber grommet, cushion, pad, etc. I then had columns that corresponded to MSA, Blach Dragon, Nissan, etc so that I could compare prices.

2nd Tab: Major component groups. Similar to tab 1 but now I bre4akdown which components will be upgraded and which will need refurbishment. I then put in columns for supplier, part number, and price. The part numbers are all hyperlinked to the lowest priced website.

3rd tab: Build schedule. This is a timeline summary of what needs to be completed and in what order. I could get super anal about this and put it into MS project but I think that would be taking this too far. :mrgreen:

I've also saved numerous pictures as examples of what I'd like to do to the car. The scariest thing is looking at the totals at the bottom of each sheet. None is scarier than the total below the BR26 build section.

I may have a problem.

• 3 years later...

I actually have two for my car, one for what's done to it, it's basically a lookup of either dates or by category (2 different tabs) which hyper links to different tabs on a separate file saying the day I worked on it, what I did to the car, what parts I added and/or subtracted, and if available, the part no.'s where I got the part, and if i'm feeling really in depth, the price as well. My other spreadsheet I use for engine building, I have all of my dimensions mic'd and I put that into an excel spreadsheet, along side I have the factory spec and the tolerance, and a simple go/no go filter to say whether my measurements are good to go.

You're not sick at all, you just might be an engineer but not sick! I have several spreadsheets for cost and project schedules. Plus I have a notebook with electrical schematics and instructions for unusual equipment I have installed and another notebook with receipts for everything I bought. On top of all that I have kept a website documenting the build as I accomplish or fail each project, this has gotten quite lengthy. I also have several word docs about special things like my custom dash, Camaro fuel tank install and my tail light modification.

Wow this is an old post! Still relevant though.

My spreadsheets are still ongoing mine are not as indepth as others have stated about theirs. My initial problem was I attempted to capture using reciepts, hand written notes, and a few chats with my long time z mechanic friend, to go back in time. I built the sheet in the early 2000's, but I have had the car since 1989, so there was a lot of back filling as best as I could.

I use a single tab for each year, and try to fill in "what was changed" "Was change a repair or repair/upgrade" and how much including labour if performed by my mechanic. I still use the same spreadsheet layout, but I should make it a bit more elaborate, as my excel skills are far beyond what they were when I built it.

I don't use a spreadsheet to specifically capture "what I broke", but I do often write articles for my club newsletter summing up "what I broke this year" Some laughs at my expense..sometimes big expense, but I hope people find it amusing, and maybe learn from my mistakes.