HybridZ

Post a Update on your project Z's!!!! everybody!

Guest ON3GO

So yea Im new to this and cant figure it out really but hey soon enough. Anyway I am also new to the Z world. Ive always liked them and just finally got one of my own.

It is a 1976 280Z 2+2. Has the l28E with a 5speed. I have a pretty good understanding of the car right now but still can use more. Its an old tired car and of course has its problems. Not to mention the privious owner sucked an air box full of water through the intake.

So my problem right now sits at me needing a new AFM. My question, how much more would this damage?? Also I do have another L28 that was rebuilt a couple few thousand miles ago but has been sitting for a few minutes. What could I look at getting myself into doing the swap, anything that will have to be changed and how much can just be reused.

My goal for this car is a road and track car. Nothing crazy, Id like to keep it N/A, maybe high comp pistons, bigger cam, ect... But of course I need to get it running right first. I am VERY short on cash so Id like to try and learn any and all short-cuts to get it there, you know cheap replacement parts and such. Any help would be much appreciated.

-Mario

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tony78_280z

This weekend I plan to finish the final big phase of my project.

My suspension work

(and some other minor things.)

1. Change rear diff oil
  2. KYB Rear Struts
  3. Rear Bushings
  4. Check for any other bad news in the rear end. U joints etc.
  5. "dum dum dum" ... spindle pins.

That will complete my list of to do that doesn't include body work.

1. Motor runs great and is finaly pretty close to tuned!
  2. Front Suspension and steering is finished!
  3. and the hundred little things are finaly coming together!

By next week; it should run great, handle great and be more dependable, it'll just look horrible. I hope to have Bodywork done by the end of summer.

Then I need to focus on my webpage and figure out why my pics wont load.

havent had much time to work on the z but here are some pics of its current condition.

clean4.JPG

clean5.JPG

wheel71.JPG

wheel13.JPG

last weekend i stripped most of the junk from under the hood(except of the longblock) and degreased,scuffed,washed and painted the engine compartment.those icky yellow wires were only used for the startup of the engine.im still waiting on a couple of parts to arrive.

the car is about 2 hrs from where i am currently living due to work.so its pretty hard to get stuff done.

im happy to say that i will be moving back home(where the car is) and should have the car moving under its own power in a couple of months.

after that it will sit again while i do some body work.

check out the rest of the pics in my gallery.

http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=7907

In the process of reworking my entire fuel system. Everything from the cell to the carb. I am keeping the existing custom made cell, replacing all of the lines with -8 braided hose, a Mallory Comp 140 pump and filter, -6 lines to the carb from the regulator, all Russell fittings. The carb is getting an overhaul with a Proform main body, Quick Fuel Technology throttle plate and Holley trick kit.

Mine survived the winter in the shed with not a hitch. Fired right up thanks to the small solar panel on the shed roof.

It runs soooo nice but I want it to run cleaner and meaner so I bought some Ford Lightning 420cc Bosch Injectors and I am shopping for a standalone fuel/spark system.

Once I install it and get it running well for the Summer and Fall, I will put it away again for the Winter and start shopping for engine rebuild parts for next years project.

This Summer/Fall:

Standalone System (shopping)

420cc injectors (got it)

Triangulated Front Strut Bar (got it)

Billet Fuel Rail (got it)

Maybe adjustable front camber (somehow).

Next Season:

Engine Pull/Rebuild Bionic.

The RB Z:

Repairing driver side rear quarter panel

Mounting/fitting flares

Front fenders' date=' hood, bumpers, cowl panel, and flares ready for paint (soon!)

Wilwood brakes on the way!

10007168rg.jpg

72 510:

Rewire to begin this week

Sourcing bumpers

Finishing RHD conversion

Odds and ends

oooh...what flares are those???? They are pretty and exactly what i need, DAMN I love those wheels....sexyyyyy

So yea now as it sits the 280 is half sanded back down to the original sky blue and primer, next will be fine sand and primer, it will probably live in the primer state for a few months, at least until I can get it to my brothers shop for paint.

Finally got it running pretty close to right, just need the new AFM, it likes to stick wide open, it has a pretty bent flap in it. I cut the exhaust off just before the cat so its not being choked on that anymore. Im looking to get a sweet Magnaflow system on it hopefully within the next couple weeks.

I have decided that this motor will stay in for a few, at least until it cant take anymore, my plans with the spare is gonna be high compression piston, light-weight rods, bigger cam, throttle body and injectors, header, and ect... Im hopeing to try and squeeze as close to 300+ HP on straight motor.

With this engine still installed I plan on spoiling it with new wiring, hoses, high energy coil, plugs, and wires, maybe a cold-air and if I can find one for cheap to free a header. Nothing crazy just a little more than stock. Ill keep posted as I get deeper into this car, any tricks of the trade someone can supply would be great.

-Mario

My z has been in pretty much the same state since I repaired it after the accident. For those who didn't know, at the end of last summer, a lady cut me off in her SUV and I swerved to avoid her, but ended up hitting a guy in a jeep cherokee.

I totally collected off the lady, and with the money I bought a new fender (only thing that needed to be replaced), a used right front strut assembly, front tokico illuminas (to complement my koni D-style adjustables), G-machines t/c rod bushing set, new tie-rod ends, and new ball joints, two used swastikas, and 4 new kumho's(yes thats how much i got out of her!).

I haven't done much after that, except gutting the interior to fit all my junk for the florida trip I made over spring break.

I replaced the 3.9 with a 3.54 for fuel economy on the trip (28mpg average!)

I am currently (very slowly) collecting parts for megasquirt.

For the summer:

Finish painting the car with a roller.

Install and tune megasquirt.

Use steelies for street, use swastikas for autox.

I have an excel spreadsheet that tells me what I need to have done by the end of the summer (given all the free time I have) and the total amounts to a little more that $1000.

75 280z daily driver and project car

• wanting to start body work soon. right now im driving it around in white primer
  • Installed Msa rear sway bar yesterday
  • bought (4) 5 way adjustable shocks but managed to destroy one of them so im in the process of looking for one so i can install all the shock at the same time
  • want to change all the bushings under the car so. maybe in 4-5 months hopfully sooner
  • want to start welding and shaving panels before paint
  • installed headers and it gives it a nice sound looking into 3"exhaust but it aint gona happen soon
  • in the long run (5-7 years) if the car is still with me and in one peice id like to drop an LS1 in there. hopefully im not as clumsy then and have more experiance

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

when i was messing with body work on it

DSC09932.jpg

when i got it

72 240z project/money pit

pictures will explain what the hell im doing...

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

DSC09938.jpg

before sand blasting

DSC06034.jpg

when i bought it

DSC08078.jpg

in the middle of some work

still got a long way to go and i dont know if im going to ditch the project or run with it. idk. well see :shock:

Well, mine, like most, will probably never be done. On my 1977 280z I've done a stage 3 nut and bolt reduction, taken off the bumpers, modified the original steering wheel and a crappy aftermarket apc wheel to fit an acura tsx steering wheel with empty airbag and datsun logo. I modified some Acura RSX type S side skirts to fit, and also adapted some Acura TL splash guards that almost fit perfectly anyway (I used to work in an Acura parts department, and got the take offs for free). Also i've got some fender mounted first generation rx-7 power mirrors which are currently not getting any power, and may never be. I'm using a Summit 16 gallon plastic fuel cell that is sitting in the big hole i cut that used to be the spare tire well. I've got braided stainless fuel lines all the way up to my su's that are soon getting replaced with a jsk fuel rail and shaved n47 manifold with a stanza throttle body (ported to match) that I hope to run with my megasquirt 1 ver. 2.2 which is built and awaiting install. I did the ebay tokico 1" drop that came with the blue cartridges and i'm super happy with that, and I replaced the sway bar end links and t/c bushings with urethane, and then got lazy/tired of being under it and haven't installed the rest of my energy suspension kit. It now drives like a 10 year old car instead of a 30 year old car.

I'm really proud of my wheels (say what you want about three spokes, i've got my hater blockers on and can't see you) which are 17 X 7 front and 17 X8 rear Impul Hoshino Racing RS-III's imported from japan with 205-55-17 front and 255-55-17 rear bridgestone tires off my friend's dad's 911 that didn't cost me a dime. I had to have 1 3/4" adapters made to fit the wheels and buy special "tuner shank lug nuts", but they look really good and don't rub where they are now. I'd love to have them resized so i wouldn't need the spacers, but I've come to the conclusion that I'd be better off buying a new set of wheels. They are drilled for both 4 and 5X114.3 hubs, so they could survive a 5 lug conversion if I ever get around to it.

In the works: I have a Garrett T-04 that I am designing a manifold for, an SS autojunk external wastegate, and a Nissan Sunny Pulsar GTI-R intercooler (less than $200 dollars spent total for everything) that was top mount originally, and I'd like to keep it that way. I would like to get an early non-vented hood, and cut the intercooler out of it like a shaker scoop (sans scoop), and then run a duct to the front from underneath it so the air that would normall be used to slow my car down at speed could be re-directed to keep my charge temperature down. Then i would cut lines of 4" louvers into the rest of the hood like the old MSA hood.

Got motor (V8 289 all Edelbrock, new), new t-5 tranny, new MMS coilover kit. Have installed: 10 lbs of sheet metal in various places including most of the passenger side frame rail. Battery box area is next and last. Since I missed my paint shop slot, I am contimplating installing the coil over kit and suspension bushings and then to paint. Had wanted to paint then do suspension to avoid overspray but Im thinking that it's a paint shops job not to spray everything like tires and springs. Right?

Regardless, its going forward as quick as possible. Cant wait to light em up.

Had wanted to paint then do suspension to avoid overspray but Im thinking that it's a paint shops job not to spray everything like tires and springs. Right?

I thought the same thing. I now have to pull all my finished suspension components and clean off the over spray. Ofcourse, I also had to redo my seats, clean emergency brake handle and steering column because of over spray. Don't count on them doing it!

I thought the same thing. I now have to pull all my finished suspension components and clean off the over spray. Ofcourse, I also had to redo my seats, clean emergency brake handle and steering column because of over spray. Don't count on them doing it!

We had to deal with that... brought the paint shop the car with no glass, trim, or interior ... the ONLY things they were asked to mask and mask well, was the wheels and engine.. and we were forever cleaning red mist off the wheels and engine :(

We've just been doing some detail work and some things on the engine.

We eliminated the distributors so had to make covers over the end of the cams where the stock dist. drives were. Made a new drive hub and mounting bracket for the drysump pump, and put in a new RonDavis radiator (which necessitated making a spacer to redirect the waterneck as the radiator now has both inlet and outlet on the left side).. here's a pair of pics of the changes to the front of the engine . The throttles are off and intakes taped shut in these pics as we are making some mods to them.

Chelle

GTO-engine0087a.jpg

GTO-engine0090a.jpg

Great.....:roll:

I was hoping for some success stories with respect to overspray.

I think I was actually foolin myself.

Yes, the first plan was to roll it with all of the original suspension.

Then remove, blast, bushings, springs, drive!

Prob stick to it.

Chelle...nice motor work!

here are some updates from today

103brkh.gif

some of the crap removed from my engine bay today

103bxqo.gif

not to mention the engine

103by9k.gif

the old setup

103cr52.gif

it took a leak...

103bg3k.gif

a/c compressor and mounting bracket (HEAVY!)

103d6oo.gif

oliver ridin' my motor! haha

103d7as.gif

what the new setup will look like. no air horns yet but black powder coated K&N filters (not shown) are whats in store.

Just installed some new mirrors, got a turbo timer, springs, shox, and ic ready to install as soon as schools over. Konig Rewinds, wheels adapters, and zg flairs to be ordered soon. Desperately need a paint job also.

more info in my site ^_^

Chelle...nice motor work!

Thanx :)

here's a couple other pics..

Firse is a decent view of the engine

next the new RonDavis radiator

then with the filters and dry sump tank fitted' date='

finally, a couple pics in the shop where you see it and a few others like a Grand Sport corvette replica

behind the Vette is an insane Datsun with RB26DET..and the other side of the shop in the next pic is a 1000hp Harley that should do 228mph in the 1/4 mile

it's more visible in last two

[img']http://members.core.com/~sysadmin/personal/GTO-engine0119.jpg[/img]

GTO-engine0086.jpg

GTO-Engine0058.jpg

GTO-engine0080.jpg

GTOatJims0084.jpg

GTOatJims0081.jpg