HybridZ

Twin turbo SBC powered Z32 (56k beware)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you doing anything with the differential or strengthening the frame?

little late i dont get on the V8 boards much but in my 73 i have installed 1/8 inch thick steel subframe connectors, the guy that owned the car before me had started a project without the drive to finish it. he had already installed one connector but that was it. i just finished putting in the last one this past weekend, i'll post up some updated pics soon.

Thanks.. Just picked up a set of Mustang GT rims.. Going to give them a good coat of silver and shave the ponies on the center caps...

Just how much bigger and/or wider are the Mustang rims? I'm assuming you mounted them to get more rubber under the car, yes? They don't look too bad on there...

Davy

Congrats on what you have accomplished so far. :cheers:

I can understand being cautious with the boost at this stage and yes, those turbos will limit ultimate HP but I do not understand the statement about the turbos limiting the RPMs to 5300. With that engine combo there is no reason why you should not push the RPMs safely to 6000 or 5800 if you want to be real conservative. You will probably still need the 3.08s but that depends on your HP goals, race tires and the efficiency of the converter.

DavyZ - The rims are 17 x 8's and were a good price.. I plan on running the MT 275 ET Drag radials on them..

Scottie-GNZ - The engine N/A pulls all the way to 6500. The problem is that the turbines are so restrictive that at 5300 RPM the engine just cannot push the amount of air it needs to keep going up the rpm range through the turbos.. Other people that have similar setups have similar results..

Cheers,

You don't want to know.. I have the motor stripped down to the bare block chasing a heating problem causing my upper rad hose to blow off.. /sigh..

Went to torque the heads back on and a bolt pulled the threads out at only 40 ft-lbs.. Just picked up a heli-coil today, may get it put in this weekend..

Cheers,

You don't want to know.. I have the motor stripped down to the bare block chasing a heating problem causing my upper rad hose to blow off.. /sigh..

Went to torque the heads back on and a bolt pulled the threads out at only 40 ft-lbs.. Just picked up a heli-coil today' date=' may get it put in this weekend..

Cheers,[/quote']

You are one hardcore dude! If half of the things that have happened to you happened to me I would have already taken up collecting stamps or something else by now....

Keep it up!!!!

You are one hardcore dude! If half of the things that have happened to you happened to me I would have already taken up collecting stamps or something else by now....

Keep it up!!!!

Heh, it gets really frustrating at times.. 1 step forward, 5 steps back.. Hard to make any progress this way..

Oh well, goes with the territory I guess..

Cheers,

Well, think I found out why my car was overheating and pressurizing the coolant system.. The hole that the threads pulled out of had a raised area all around it and was evident in the gasket.. I'm thinking that the last time I torqued it down that it distorted the block and was causing a leaking situation under mainly boost conditions..

engine_down.jpg

Anyways, I managed to file it down and install a heli-coil.. The heads are bolted back on, but that's it.. Going to pick up another block and start getting it machined.. This one is garbage..

Cheers,

Going to pick up another block and start getting it machined.. This one is garbage..

Ouch. Everything else is good, right? (pistons, crank, etc.) Hopefully you have a friend in the machining business!! Good luck in getting it back on the road to shed some rubber.

Davy

I have the car 95% back together.. Just have to put 6 bolts back into the exhaust and fill with coolant and see if the POS over heats still.. I'm hoping that this will last till I can get a new block and maybe a good rotating assembly.. This short block is stock except for the cast flatops, which are nothing special.. :)

I've been thinking hard on an aftermarket block, but I think I'm too cheap to spend a couple K on just a block.. I don't even want to spend 2k on a block, some rods and pistons.. ha ha.. Don't like spending money on something that isn't going to make me go faster..

Cheers,

If you can keep the heads on it you can put more boost to it and make more power.I know what you mean about spending money and not going faster. You can always find a deal here and there. My 414 sbc was old sprint car stuff as far as the short block went. I got an aluminum block 3.8 stroke crank and a set of Carrillo's for less than a after market iron block. Going from a N/A sbc on gas to a blown BBC on alky, a little of a learning curve there but it should be fun. Should get it sorted out in the altered and then may put it in the Z for a pass or two for some fun.