HybridZ

Twin turbo SBC powered Z32 (56k beware)

These are the only videos I have of the car in action currently.. They're last years vids with street tires..

Cheers,

Damn it. I'll paypal you $0.63 to go shoot some rolling footage. :P

I suppose I'll just have to wait like everyone else. Awesome build man!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Car is lookin insane! Whats with the yellow?

Thanks, I painted the engine bay yellow because it was easier to do before the engine was in.. I did plan on painting the rest yellow, but now I'm starting to have second thoughts.. Kind of in limbo right now about colour..

Cheers,

Guest turdlecharge

i think u should try on a set of cobra r's (black) with the yellow would look very sexy

did u do anything with subframe connectors? cage? 1/4 numbers? does the car hook with those dr's?

umm holy crap that looks great can't wait o see the final product i like that series of Z but theres only one problem for me a i don't fit well in them LOL something about my knees on the steering wheel dosn't feel right but once again very slick ride can't wait to see some more out of it an thoughts of making a quick vid or a dyno run?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Decided that I wanted the stock dash to work instead of trying to stuff a 5" monster tach, 5" monster speedo, 2-5/8 fuel level gauge and assorted lights in that area..

Took the tach and speedo out of the dash and they both had a trim pot on the back side.. (score! thought I'd have to add one)

Built a square wave generator with a 555 timer and was able to set the tach to my Autometer tach..

Trim pot

tach_pot.jpg

Tachs and circuit..

dash_1.jpg

Also played with a hall effect sensor I picked up at Princess Auto and the stock speedo.. The speedo's pot does not have as big of an adjustment range as the tach, so I may have to do some fudging when I get it hooked to the trans...

dash_2.jpg

Other than that, still waiting for the boost controller and MSD 6A..

Later,

So that little white blur is the trim pot? im in the process of trying to tune mine i need all the info i can on adjusting it. what did you have to rewire? can i hook the tach directly to the distributor? if so what do i need to do?

That's odd, I haven't gotten any email notifications since the last time I posted here..

turdlecharge - no subframe connectors, have a cage, but haven't decided if I want to put it in yet, no track times but do have bad dyno #'s, DR's are hit and miss weather they hook or not.. It will be interesting to see how they perform when I get my issues sorted out.

happynukes - Really? I'm a shade over 6'1" and there is a lot of room.. Maybe the 2+0 have less driver room? I find in most cars having the seat all the way back is not enough, yet I can't drive the Z with the seat all the way back.. It has to be a few notches forward..

Firion_13 - Love the Megasquirt so far, although I am chasing down a problem that some other turbo V8 guys share with me, and the only 2 things we all have in common is the megasquirt and forced induction.. It requires a lot of reading, and re-reading until it all sinks in..

Going EFI was a great idea.. With a wideband, tuning is a joke.. Wiring was very simple once I had the wiring diagrams for the 300..

Yes, that little white blob is the trim pot, you shouldn't have to turn it very far to get the tach to read correctly.. As far as wiring, I followed the traces on the back of the gauge cluster to the connector and hooked a wire from there to the tach signal from the distributor.

Cheers,

Thanks John C, and Twin Turbo. Been trying toget ahopld of you forever lol. i tried to hook up my twin turbo tach and got nothing, like it was back feeding, i just bought a NA tach on ebay and it will bolt right in so im hoping to have better luck with it. Did you happen you hook the gauge up by itself or is it still through the wire system on the back? i was just thinkin this shouldnt be this hard. groud wire, signal wire, and i got nothing on my TT tach. so hopefully its different on the NA one.

• 1 month later...
Guest davemac

Also played with a hall effect sensor I picked up at Princess Auto and the stock speedo.. The speedo's pot does not have as big of an adjustment range as the tach, so I may have to do some fudging when I get it hooked to the trans...

Not sure if you sorted out the speedometer calibration, but here's an interesting thread regarding a resistor change on the speedo PCB.

To summarise, R10 (normally 20 Ohms for a UK/US set up) could be replaced for a potentiometer, thus allowing for calibration:burnout:

http://www.300zx.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=35682

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...