HybridZ

Twin turbo SBC powered Z32 (56k beware)

Look into the Nissan Armada gear set...

Rick Bowers (speeder) and I are having 2.93 R230 gear sets installed in our Z32tt pumpkins to get a taller gear...

Kudos on your project. I am partial to yellow as well :-)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do the 2.93 gears come from? Any chance of taller gears, say around 2.5?

The new Nissan Armada has a 3.36 and a 2.93 as gear set choices and both are R230's. Rick ordered our ring and pinion sets through the Nissan dealership. I am sure he has the part number, if he were to chose to chime in here. I haven't seen anything lower than the 2.93 in the r230 flavor.

I remember someone posting a link to a Japanese website offering L28 racing parts and they had a 2.76 R200 ring and pinion. I think it was around $1000 for just the R&P!!

Look into the Nissan Armada gear set...

Rick Bowers (speeder) and I are having 2.93 R230 gear sets installed in our Z32tt pumpkins to get a taller gear...

Kudos on your project. I am partial to yellow as well :-)

Heeeeeey, now that is interesting.. I'm going to have to look into this and see how pricey a set of gears is.. Thanks for the heads up!!

Cheers,

• 2 months later...

Welp, I figured out why the car hasn't been working that well...

cam_1.jpg

and

piston.jpg

As you can see, the second cam lobe is almost completely wore off and the lifter is concave, rather than flat.. This resulted in the exhaust valve not opening and causing my piston to ♥♥♥♥ the bed also.. Explains the lack of power.. Not sure what happened to the cam, but whatever... Just glad to finally figure out why it's been working so bad..

Got it all back together on the weekend..

engine_done_2.jpg

Only about 30 kilometers on it and it's seen 10psi blasts quite frequently.. Should maybe let the piston rings seat before I beat on it too much more.. Still have much tuning to do, especially now that I have a different cam in there.. The other problem is that the car leaves two black marks behind it and smokes.. Will investigate this further...

Also been working on the hood...

hood_3.jpg

It's not quite finished, but good enough for some primer anyways...

hood_4.jpg

And I guess this is the current state of things.. I had the intercooler replaced with a straight peice of pipe to make sure that the intercooler wasn't causing a pressure drop, but has since been put back in and is working well..

car_1.jpg

Anyhow, till next explosion.. Good video footage to come..

Cheers,

...The other problem is that the car leaves two black marks behind it and smokes.. Will investigate this further...

LOL! Glad to hear you have it all back together and the car is running soundly. The hood work is really good looking from the picture and looks right at home on the Z. Funny, but I never thought of a cowl hood on a Z32 before. Thanks for the update!

Davy

• 6 months later...

Welp, she's back together agian..

engine_done_again.jpg

Had it out for a couple hours yesterday just poking around.. Running at around 6lbs of boost and it is working well.. Hasn't see full throttle yet as I'm still breaking the bottom end in, but at half pedal and 6lbs it spins a lot.. Hard to gauge as the road is cold and salt covered so traction is just a pipe dream..

Everyone will be happy to know that this version has a set of forged pistons in it so hopefully I can last the summer without tearing the engine down..

Here is a pic of the new turbo vs old turbo..

turbo_new_old.jpg

Cheers,

Guest TeamNissan
Nice! It looks like it got a little toasty arround the turbos, though!

Hahaha ya, maybe some of that insolation padding with the sticky back?

Are you able to find and install a corvette style throttle body intake?

Figured that would get your hood clearence problems down a smidge and

make for an over all cleaner looking install.

The cap over the carb style throttle bodies always bother me.

Yea, at one point the timing was running really retarded, and I was unaware.. Caused the engine and exhaust to run extremely hot..

As for the intake, I have an LT1 intake setup, but don't feel like converting it over to use a distributor.. I keep a constant eye out for the Holley Stealth ram setup on ebay and other sites.. That's the end goal..

Cheers,