HybridZ

L28ET prep

Guest modularmind

Guest modularmind

Hello all. I'm starting a new project with an L28ET swap into a 240Z. I'm seeking some advice as far as what can be removed from the L28ET, and what is crucial to keep it running. I plan on doing a stock rebuild to the motor before the swap. My goal for the car is to build a 300 hp drifter. I've attached some pics. If someone could outline any unnecessary bits that can be removed, it would be hugely appreciated.

l28et-1_thumb.jpg

l28et-2_thumb.jpg

l28et-3_thumb.jpg

l28et-4_thumb.jpg

l28et-5_thumb.jpg

since you are puting it in to a 240 you can loose any smog stuff. Get yourself a NON EGR N-42 intake manifold, with some bigger injectors (420cc supra non turbo) custom fuel rail. ditch the stock ECU and get a stand alone system (megasquirt) get rid of that injector fan (its that turbo looking thing on the dirver side of the block) loose the Jpipe and put in an intercooler and cold air induction. Use a bigger down pipe off the turbo and go with a 2.5 inch or 3 inch exaust. loose the cat and get a turbo muffler. Loose the power stearing pump and AC. Get a 2 row pully. and you seem to be missing the distributor, You'll need that, get the one with the CAS built into it. Get a 60mm throttel body off a 240sx port the intake manifold to match it and then it just bolts on. then your gonna need a BOV and a boost controller. Just get rid of all of that smog grap and plug up all the holes on the manifold and you should be ok. I'm sure that I missed a million things but thats all I can think of off the top of my head. The mods I mentioned are if you want 300 RWHP. If you stay stock... it ain't gonna happen. Just my 2 cents:burnout:

Guest modularmind

I have a 98.9% complete '82 280zx in my garage right now thats slowly being dismantled. So far I have the motor wiring harness pulled and some bits pulled out of the engine bay of the car. I made my way to the turbo last night and was able to inspect it. The turbo spins freely with no sideplay on the impeller shaft. It made my night last night. I don't really have the budget for a turbo rebuild so it was quite a relief.

The car came with most everything, with the exception of a distributor. The one with the integrated CAS. Anyone have any leads for finding one? I'm getting my 240z roller delivered sometime next week, which is uber-rad. So far I have $0.00 in the 280zx, and +$10.00 for selling the t-tops. And the 240z should be close to $0.00... long story, but it was bought by my roomies stepdad. He did a fresh rebuild on the motor and hyped it up with some go fast goodies. So my roomy is buying his stepdads lot of 240z car stuff for the motor to put into his 240z, as well as some interior stuff and extra bits. The roller is pretty much being given to me, but I'll wind up paying something for it. It's only right. The roller does needs a rear 1/4 patched with a weld in patch panel of some sort. not sure if it's D-side or P-side though. Hopefully I'l get to find out next week.

hey butt nugget, i told ya i would help with the et swap. really they aren't hard to do. piddly bolt ons here and there and you have 300 rwhp. which is going to be silly in a 240.

take mine, put down 141 hp, ran 14.5

{thanks to the msa cam} you're looking at an easy 12 second car. maybe faster under the right conditions.

scott in his crx ran mid 10's on 390 fwhp in his crx. 1700 lb car.

just food for thought

Guest modularmind

for every butt nugget theres a golden kernel, that must be you! heh. I'm still putzing around with ID'ing and labeling stuff as I pull it off the motor. I might, big might, be ready to pull out the motor this weekend.

for every butt nugget theres a golden kernel, that must be you! heh. I'm still putzing around with ID'ing and labeling stuff as I pull it off the motor. I might, big might, be ready to pull out the motor this weekend.

pull the motor and tranny as one piece, it makes life easier in the end.

Guest modularmind

?? Since the car has no distributor and I'm planning on going the Megasquirt route... What distributor will I wind up needing? The orignal '82-'83 with CAS? Or, can I use something else? I've done some searching, but still scratching my head.

Guest modularmind
you can use a late 74-75 260/280 dizzy with an msd box on it as well.

either way doesn't matter

so this set up would be a work around if say, I can't locate the proper 82-83 dist. with CAS? or would this be a better way to go compared to the stock set up? also, I'm having to hold off on pulling the motor till next week. been having to pack and get ready for a camping/float trip. I'll hit ya up Sunday when I get back.